PDA

View Full Version : NCAA considering new transfer rule?

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
01-04-2013, 10:40 AM
@jeffborzello: RT @John_Infante: NCAA considering transfer model that would allow all athletes with a 2.6 GPA to play immediately: http://t.co/9tlG0bMv …

Boy would that be interesting, I'm thinking schools like UK and the other big dogs would love this.

CaribouJim
01-04-2013, 10:48 AM
My first reaction is negative even if tampering is met with big penalties - that doesn't mean there won't be.

Goose85
01-04-2013, 11:22 AM
My first reaction is negative even if tampering is met with big penalties - that doesn't mean there won't be.

Agree. Recruiting would never end if that was the case. My guess is you would be limited to one transfer in your college career.

Gato78
01-04-2013, 11:27 AM
The "student" part of "student athlete" is a joke at this point. Ridiculous.

GOMU1104
01-04-2013, 11:59 AM
No...this wont be manipulated *at all.*

Nukem2
01-04-2013, 12:28 PM
Would be hard to prove tampering for sure as back channel discussions would be hard to be discovered much less proven

CaribouJim
01-04-2013, 12:34 PM
Would be hard to prove tampering for sure as back channel discussions would be hard to be discovered much less proven

I would then give John Calipari a lie detector test and ask him if he would like that as a new rule - if he says yes then you know it is a bad rule.

Orlando
01-04-2013, 12:51 PM
I think a 2.6 is too low for this rule. I understand rewarding academic achievement with broader options, but I don't think a 2.6 rates that. Make it a 3.0. If someone is achieving at that high of a level, he is going to factor in more variables than just basketball when making a transfer decision. It should also weed out all the kids that are just in school to play basketball, who would be more susceptible to being lured from their current school for greater basketball glory.

The plus side of this rule is that I think at some schools we would see some kids grades more accurately reflect their academic work. No one is going to inflate a kids grades if it puts him in the free transfer zone. In fact you probably would start hearing complaints from players about receiving lower grades than they felt they deserved to keep them from transferring.

ValiantSailor
01-04-2013, 01:01 PM
@jeffborzello: RT @John_Infante: NCAA considering transfer model that would allow all athletes with a 2.6 GPA to play immediately: http://t.co/9tlG0bMv …

Boy would that be interesting, I'm thinking schools like UK and the other big dogs would love this.

What is "immediately"? Today? Can we load up on good players from poor teams for the NCAAs? Schools under the quarter system may be at an advantage, versus a semester system....

VS

IWB
01-04-2013, 01:14 PM
This is absurd. Several problems.....

1) A coach could say to a kid, "We like you, but just aren't sure you are good enough. Go to Eastern Illinois for a year, if you excel there, we will take you next year.

2) It would help schools like Kentucky rebuild and reload every year. Is that why this is needed? Too hard for Kentucky to reload after losing the starting five to the draft?

3) Discriminatory as all hell. Here you have the Prince of Bel Aire. Young Carlton grew up in the best schools, the best programs, tutors and teachers. He had all of the advantages as a kid, so school is somewhat easy for him. He didn't work hard at all, and pulled a 2.8, so he can transfer wherever he wants and play immediately. Then you have his cousin Will. Will grew up in East Philly. Rough neighborhood, did his best to stay out of gangs, was basically passed through school because he showed up, he didn't skip every day like his friends. He was never really pushed hard in school, and when he got to college it was a struggle adjusting to the school work, but with extra time in study hall, extra time with his professors, he fights and works hard to get a 2.5. So, is it fair that Carlton breezes his way to a 2.8 and can go where he wants but Will, who busted his ass and gets a 2.5 is stuck?

Markedman
01-04-2013, 01:18 PM
Yeah what is wrong with college athletics is there just isn't enough player movement.........:confused:

IWB
01-04-2013, 01:26 PM
Exactly Markedman - at the end of last year there were over 450 transfers. So now they want to make it easier to increase the number? Dumb.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
01-04-2013, 01:54 PM
This is just one more step towards creating even more separation between the majors and mid major schools. They are ruining what is great about CBB... I really hate what this is all becoming.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
01-04-2013, 02:01 PM
More details: http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/blog/eye-on-college-basketball/21494783/whywhen-a-new-transfer-rule-could-have-big-effects-on-college-hoops

TheSultan
01-04-2013, 02:04 PM
DeCourcy just tweeted: "Bright side if NCAA adopts 2.6 transfer rule? Athletic departments will no longer discourage tougher courses. Below the line!"

I understand what the NCAA is trying to do here. There is a lot of criticism about the one-year out rule for transfers, and I think this what they view as a compromise position. But I think all it is going to do is create more problems.

I think what the NCAA should do is simply allow one transfer per student athlete without sitting out a year. That means no more "graduate program that doesn't exist at my school" exception....no more "my mother is sick exception, etc. Just make it simple. You get one "free" transfer without sitting out a year....mid-year transfers have to wait to the beginning of the next season.

Yeah, it will cause some controversies, such as players going to top-level programs for championship opportunities, but at least it is simple and straight-forward.

Nukem2
01-04-2013, 02:17 PM
Realistically, how many transferees with good/great athletic skills have a 2.6 GPA....? Will KY go after marginally-talented BB players with a 2.6 GPA? After thinking about it, would this be a really big deal or would most transfers result in a redshirt season anyway?

GOMU1104
01-04-2013, 02:22 PM
This is absurd. Several problems.....

1) A coach could say to a kid, "We like you, but just aren't sure you are good enough. Go to Eastern Illinois for a year, if you excel there, we will take you next year.

2) It would help schools like Kentucky rebuild and reload every year. Is that why this is needed? Too hard for Kentucky to reload after losing the starting five to the draft?

3) Discriminatory as all hell. Here you have the Prince of Bel Aire. Young Carlton grew up in the best schools, the best programs, tutors and teachers. He had all of the advantages as a kid, so school is somewhat easy for him. He didn't work hard at all, and pulled a 2.8, so he can transfer wherever he wants and play immediately. Then you have his cousin Will. Will grew up in East Philly. Rough neighborhood, did his best to stay out of gangs, was basically passed through school because he showed up, he didn't skip every day like his friends. He was never really pushed hard in school, and when he got to college it was a struggle adjusting to the school work, but with extra time in study hall, extra time with his professors, he fights and works hard to get a 2.5. So, is it fair that Carlton breezes his way to a 2.8 and can go where he wants but Will, who busted his ass and gets a 2.5 is stuck?

WRONG.

Will is from West Philadelphia, born and raised.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
01-04-2013, 02:23 PM
I think they need to adjust the rules to make it so if the head coach that recruited you to a school leaves you get a free transfer without sitting out, otherwise rules should stay the same. This will create too much poaching of other schools players. I also think there should be a clause where if the school does not want to extend the players scholarship then they can also transfer without sitting out.

IWB
01-04-2013, 02:33 PM
It would be a big deal. Let's say Steve Taylor gets a 2.8. UNC needs help at the 4 spot, as they just lost one to the NBA and one to a transfer. Would people be ok with it if a guy like Steve Taylor was lured away by UNC because he had a great freshman year and UNC needs a PF? No - that would blow.

Anyone with a GPA higher than a 2.6 has the opportunity to upgrade.

The system is fine right now, just needs to be tweaked, not overhauled as there are problems.

I know of a kid right now(cough, cough, Pro-Am). Was his team's leading returning scorer. His coach got the ax, new coach comes in and wants to play a different style of ball, a system that would have him changing a LOT. So, he talks it out with the new head coach. The new coach decides he should leave. He heads out East to his new school. He appeals the transfer redshirt, saying he was forced to leave, but loses the appeal so he has to sit out, and doing so he loses a year of eligibility as he already had a developmental redshirt season his freshman year. So, not only does he have to sit out a year, he loses that year. Why? Because the new coach doesn't want him? That is wrong.

Here is his actual timeline.....

2009-10: Gets a scholarship, but agrees that he will need to redshirt to put on weight. (Freshman redshirt)
2010-11: Plays sparingly as a freshman, but does well. (Freshman year)
2011-12: Plays very well, 3rd team all conference. (Sophomore year)
Coach is fired, new coach does not want him.
2012-13: Sitting out as a redshirt transfer, but because he already had a redshirt, it counts. (Junior year)
2013-14: Will be his senior year.

So, he redshirted because he needed it, then had to transfer because a new coach didn't want him, so he loses the junior year of his playing career? BS. Like I said, there are things that need to be tweaked, but the 2.6 is not the answer.

TheSultan
01-04-2013, 02:37 PM
It would be a big deal. Let's say Steve Taylor gets a 2.8. UNC needs help at the 4 spot, as they just lost one to the NBA and one to a transfer. Would people be ok with it if a guy like Steve Taylor was lured away by UNC because he had a great freshman year and UNC needs a PF? No - that would blow.

I'm not doubting that it would be a blow, I am saying that the student should have that right.

BuzzWilliams...I do like your ideas too.

unclejohn
01-04-2013, 02:43 PM
Before the NCAA started sanctioning women's sports, the women's organization, the AIAW, had a rule for transfers with immediate play. Raiding was endemic. This was before anybody was even paying attention to women's basketball. Imagine what would happen today. Kentucky would raid everybody every year and put together the best team money could buy.

IWB
01-04-2013, 02:56 PM
In some sports, like women's volleyball for example, you don't have to sit out.

Markedman
01-04-2013, 03:00 PM
Think about it...there would actually be an incentive for schools to want players to stay below a 2.6 GPA.

As IWB said I'm sure some changes are needed but they really need to think this through.......

Goose85
01-04-2013, 03:03 PM
I like IWB's suggestion. If a coach leaves you get a free one transfer without sitting out. Otherwise what's wrong with sitting out a year to transfer?

If there were over 400 last year, this new rule would lead to more than double.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
01-04-2013, 04:13 PM
The only cases where I feel a player is really getting screwed by the redshirt year is if they get cut, or if the coach leaves. There are already clauses in place for family issues so that is a non-issue. Otherwise if a player wants to leave just to be on a better team or to go to another school then they have the ability to do that, it just costs them a year of sitting out.

I feel that at the end of every year the coach and the player should have the option to renew that players scholarship, if the player declines then they need to sit out, if the coach declines then the player can leave penalty free. In order to avoid any foul play by coaches you could easily say that the coach as to accept or decline first, that way they can't pretend like they wanted to keep the player just to hold them out a year... I just think there are easier ways to handle this without opening up student athletes to free agency.

mufansince72
01-04-2013, 05:44 PM
Think about it...there would actually be an incentive for schools to want players to stay below a 2.6 GPA.

As IWB said I'm sure some changes are needed but they really need to think this through.......

That was my initial thought as well. Now coaches will steer players to professors who are tough graders, rather than easier ones.

MUMac
01-04-2013, 06:36 PM
That was my initial thought as well. Now coaches will steer players to professors who are tough graders, rather than easier ones.

I can hear the interaction between coach and prof right now.

Coach: "Hey professor, I need talk with you about one of my players in your class. I really need your help with his grades."
Professor: "Coach, I really cannot change a grade to keep someone eligible. I don't play that game. It is unfair to my other students."
Coach: "I understand you don't want to do this. I normally wouldn't ask, but it is far too important to our school and our team.
Professor: "Well, what exactly are you asking?"
Coach: "The player is ABC."
Professor: "Oh, ABC. Coach, you do not need to worry. He is doing very well in class. You do not need me to change his grades."
Coach: "I know he is doing well in your class and attending every day. What I need, though, is for him to get a D. The school needs your help with this. He is too important to the team and the school. How about helping us out with this one?"

mufansince72
01-04-2013, 06:40 PM
I can hear the interaction between coach and prof right now.

Coach: "Hey professor, I need talk with you about one of my players in your class. I really need your help with his grades."
Professor: "Coach, I really cannot change a grade to keep someone eligible. I don't play that game. It is unfair to my other students."
Coach: "I understand you don't want to do this. I normally wouldn't ask, but it is far too important to our school and our team.
Professor: "Well, what exactly are you asking?"
Coach: "The player is ABC."
Professor: "Oh, ABC. Coach, you do not need to worry. He is doing very well in class. You do not need me to change his grades."
Coach: "I know he is doing well in your class and attending every day. What I need, though, is for him to get a D. The school needs your help with this. He is too important to the team and the school. How about helping us out with this one?"

Exactly! Professors where you work your butt off and can only get a "C"

Markedman
01-04-2013, 07:30 PM
I could envision a little presemester pep talk between coach and Professor.

Coach: "Professor I really need you to hold Johnny accountable this semester"
Prof "What do you mean coach?"
Coach "Well he has been kind of skating through some of his other courses. He is a really smart kid but I don't think he is working hard enough"
Prof..."Really? What would you suggest?"
Coach "I hate to say it....but I think he needs a dose of humility. You know how kids can get when things come too easy to them."
"I know you are a tough grader and that is exactly what this kid needs right now.....If he busts his ass and only gets a C- I think it would do him a world of good in the future if you get my drift....."

"I'm glad we had this talk....it's always good to know we both have a kids best interest at heart"