PDA

View Full Version : Georgetown game...

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
01-03-2013, 03:18 PM
So what do we know about Georgetown? It looks like Otto Porter is their guy, but I don't know much else, it would seem if we can slow him down we'd have a chance. Thoughts?

Nukem2
01-03-2013, 03:21 PM
This game is the reverse of the UConn. G-town is very big and long. Will be another tough one. Another barometr game this week.

mufansince72
01-03-2013, 03:31 PM
This game is the reverse of the UConn. G-town is very big and long. Will be another tough one. Another barometr game this week.

Lets just say that 2 for 15 beyond the arc is not going to get it done in this game. I think MU will need to hit 7 or 8 three pointers to remain in this game.

CaribouJim
01-03-2013, 03:34 PM

I wish Chris was the version of himself before he hurt his knee. In any event, he needs to come up big Saturday.

Still bummed about Chris's knee injury - he was really coming into his own when the got hurt - he was a real defensive stopper and he was even becoming a half-way decent offensive threat. He is just so big.

warriorfan4life
01-03-2013, 03:39 PM
I think Georgetown is overrated nationally, as they struggle to score the ball outside of Porter (Mikael Hopkins has been shockingly inefficient after a promising freshman season). However, they are a nightmare match-up for us because of their excellent zone defense and ability to guard the interior. Also, I do not think that we have the quickness edge against them we have had in previous years. We put it to them on Senior Day last year, but I fear for a possible reciprocation this year. Good to have the UConn win in hand to help swallow the likely loss here.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
01-03-2013, 03:39 PM
Does Otto Porter play inside? I've obviously never seen him play, I don't remember him much from last year. Wondering who will guard him and what the potential is for DG to get some fouls on him. I think that is one of Davante's best assets, he was single handedly able to get multiple fouls on a few of the UCONN big men. Now obviously G'town is a bit better, but it might be worth giving him as many looks as possible to see if he can't take some guys off the floor.

GOMU1104
01-03-2013, 03:44 PM
I think Georgetown is really good, so I'm not sure how much of a "barometer" game it is. I believe they are alot better than us and should handle us. If we figure out how to win the game, I'm not sure what it would mean, long term. They are really good, and we have documented issues.

They are really long with Wittington, Hopkins, and of course Porter. Smith-Rivera is a playmaker, Starks is a nice PG and Lubick is a scrapping PF.

I think, to be competitive, someone is going to have to step up big.

Bocephys
01-03-2013, 03:47 PM
Lets just say that 2 for 15 beyond the arc is not going to get it done in this game. I think MU will need to hit 7 or 8 three pointers to remain in this game.

Disagree, we may only need 50 to win this game if we play good D.

Markedman
01-03-2013, 03:49 PM
Georgetown has been pretty bad on offense but very tough on D so far this year. Pomeroy has them ranked 132 in offensive efficiency(MU for comparison sakes is 44) and 13th best on D.
They play slow....281st in tempo.

They have played a very easy schedule to date which might account for having only 1 loss......Pomeroy ranks their schedule at 307 out of 347.

Porter is a stud.....They shoot 33% from 3 and 46% from the floor and turn it over 12 times a game(which is actually quite a bit considering how slow they play).

Don't let Porter or Starks open from 3......They both shoot about 44% from deep.

Only shoot 65% from the line....Whittington has taken by far the most 3 pointers(48) but only makes 29%.

They aren't deep....only play 7 guys double digit minutes.

TedBaxter
01-03-2013, 03:49 PM
Porter is a 3/4 who can go insider or out and is real active. Davante won't guard him and he won't guard Davante.

Guard depth may be the one concern for Georgetown.

MUBRACES
01-03-2013, 03:52 PM
I agree, have you seen some of Gtowns final scores this year.... 1 ended in the 30's!, several others only 40 points scored....I see this game as a lot of misses and low scoring, it will be a grind out match....plus Gtown hasn't been tested on the road yet. Same goes for Cinci...until I see them play a good team on the road and beat them, I think they are overrated.

kneelb4zerg
01-03-2013, 03:55 PM
Maybe Mayo can be the X-factor here...

TheSultan
01-03-2013, 03:57 PM
Does Otto Porter play inside? I've obviously never seen him play, I don't remember him much from last year. Wondering who will guard him and what the potential is for DG to get some fouls on him. I think that is one of Davante's best assets, he was single handedly able to get multiple fouls on a few of the UCONN big men. Now obviously G'town is a bit better, but it might be worth giving him as many looks as possible to see if he can't take some guys off the floor.

Porter is more of an attacking wing. I would think that we would try to guard him with Jamil or Juan. I doubt they will have him guard the post...he's only 205.

WindyCityGoldenEagle
01-03-2013, 05:03 PM
The little I've seen of Porter he reminds me of a poor man's (and tad shorter) version of Kevin Durant. He's long, can attack off the bounce, post up, dish the rock and shoot from the outside. He's the goods in my opinion.

Goose85
01-04-2013, 08:36 AM
I think it is of benefit to MU that we just had a tough game against a good Big East opponent in UConn with two top level players. Georgetown hasn't played since three days before Christmas. Hopefully we are a bit more in the Big East Conference game mindset and Georgetown is rusty. A rusty Georgetown who has had some difficulty scoring would be nice.

MU also needs someone to step up and hit a few 3's to get the pressure off.

MU/Panther
01-04-2013, 11:22 AM
This game is not a sell out. There is alot of seats left. Let's get the BC filled up. The Pack doesn't play untill 7pm.

http://www.ticketmaster.com/event/07004951C2AF7A58?artistid=845508&majorcatid=10004&minorcatid=7

Nukem2
01-04-2013, 12:55 PM
I think Georgetown is really good, so I'm not sure how much of a "barometer" game it is. I believe they are alot better than us and should handle us. If we figure out how to win the game, I'm not sure what it would mean, long term. They are really good, and we have documented issues.

They are really long with Wittington, Hopkins, and of course Porter. Smith-Rivera is a playmaker, Starks is a nice PG and Lubick is a scrapping PF.

I think, to be competitive, someone is going to have to step up big.It's a barometer game because it's at the BC. If we we can't defend the castle, it gets to be a long year. Looking forward to this game.