PDA

View Full Version : Disciplining refs

MayorBeluga
01-03-2013, 07:54 AM
We all agree that the refs working the UConn - MU game were awful. Screwing up the start of overtime was simply inexcusable. The next question is whether the Big East punishes them in some way. Well, we got the answer last night. Two of the three, Karl "IWB" Hess and Michael Stephens were two of the three assigned to the Seton Hall at DePaul game last night. The third official in our game, Mike Stuart, either was deemed not as guilty or will be punished with multiple games involving DePaul as the season progresses.

BTW, the 3rd official in the SHU - DPU game was Gene Steratore, who Hizzoner assumes was being punished for being an NFL ref involved in the strike/lockout that led to the replacement refs.

Why else would they be stuck doing that game?

Hamostradamus
01-03-2013, 08:20 AM
The next question is whether the Big East punishes them in some way. Well, we got the answer last night. Two of the three, Karl "IWB" Hess and Michael Stephens were two of the three assigned to the Seton Hall at DePaul game last night. The third official in our game, Mike Stuart, either was deemed not as guilty or will be punished with multiple games involving DePaul as the season progresses.

I can see their pay being docked, or even being suspended, but the DePaul game? That was excessive.

IWB
01-03-2013, 12:08 PM
Anyone else watch the end of the DePaul-Seton Hall game? DePaul had a shot to win it - inbounded with 7.8(?) seconds to go, drew up a great play, player was wide open and missed the shot. Even though the guy was wide open, it drove me crazy - Why is it that there are so many times when teams are down by 1 with seconds left, that they draw up a play for a 3 pt shot? Why not get closer to the hoop?

Goose85
01-03-2013, 12:25 PM
Anyone else watch the end of the DePaul-Seton Hall game? DePaul had a shot to win it - inbounded with 7.8(?) seconds to go, drew up a great play, player was wide open and missed the shot. Even though the guy was wide open, it drove me crazy - Why is it that there are so many times when teams are down by 1 with seconds left, that they draw up a play for a 3 pt shot? Why not get closer to the hoop?

See MU in loss to GB. Thomas had a great open look from 3, but we were down 1 at the time.

Gato78
01-03-2013, 12:36 PM
Penalty wasn't just a DePaul game---it was DePaul vs Seton Hall. Every time I watch a game at/from the Allstate Arena, I marvel at all the wasted potential. From the ugly floor, empty stands, etc. They have a UWM feel to the whole process, and that is not a rip on UWM because DePaul should be able to do so much more. I swear to God I could take that AD job, knowing very little about it, and upgrade that thing substantially--whether in Lincoln Park or in Rosemont. On day one I would:

1. Change the color scheme.
2. Get rid of Oliver Purnell--talk about a guy who is always one step ahead of the posse.
3. Start giving out free tix to every Catholic grade school in Chicago to fill the place a little.
4. Totally redesign the floor. It is butt ugly. Has no one ever noticed?
5. Showcase the band--they are the best thing about a DePaul game.
6. TOTALLY focus on fundraising. TOTALLY. They should be kicking our ass in facilities, amenities and coaching hires with so much more money in Chicago. They have SOOOO many corporate sponsorship options we do not have.

Only good thing they did last night was place the crowd mike in a spot where it sounded like the fans were loud. There weren't enough to make the noise I heard.

DePaul has sooo much potential, they should be embarrassed for their product.

Orlando
01-03-2013, 01:00 PM

The probability of the situation is that they are not going to get a shot right at the basket (layup or dunk). The opposing coach is going to set his defense so as not to allow that. And even though it sounds ridiculous, most kids today are more comfortable shooting 3's then they are 10-15 footers.

Nobody works on their individual mid-range game anymore. The practice 3's and going to the basket. Many defenses are designed to keep the ball out of the paint and run shooters off the 3 point line. They want you to take those mid range shots, because most kids probably shoot a higher percentage from the arc then they do pulling up off the dribble from mid range.

So if you are drawing up a play for one shot your best chance at a good makeable look is probably an open 3.

mutpm
01-03-2013, 01:15 PM
Completely agree with Orlando. Looking through the first 13 games, MU has made 334 field goals. Of those, 237 were made in the paint and 52 are 3 pointers. That means MU has made only 45 field goals inside the arc that weren't in the paint. It's just not an area on the floor where points are scored. It's stunning there aren't more baskets scored in that area.

MUMac
01-03-2013, 01:30 PM
The probability of the situation is that they are not going to get a shot right at the basket (layup or dunk). The opposing coach is going to set his defense so as not to allow that. And even though it sounds ridiculous, most kids today are more comfortable shooting 3's then they are 10-15 footers.

Nobody works on their individual mid-range game anymore. The practice 3's and going to the basket. Many defenses are designed to keep the ball out of the paint and run shooters off the 3 point line. They want you to take those mid range shots, because most kids probably shoot a higher percentage from the arc then they do pulling up off the dribble from mid range.

So if you are drawing up a play for one shot your best chance at a good makeable look is probably an open 3.

Excellent post (well, mostly because I agree!).

IWB
01-03-2013, 02:02 PM
Excellent post (well, mostly because I agree!).

I too agree completely, just painful to watch the missed shots. Great response Orlando

CaribouJim
01-03-2013, 03:26 PM
Penalty wasn't just a DePaul game---it was DePaul vs Seton Hall. Every time I watch a game at/from the Allstate Arena, I marvel at all the wasted potential. From the ugly floor, empty stands, etc. They have a UWM feel to the whole process, and that is not a rip on UWM because DePaul should be able to do so much more. I swear to God I could take that AD job, knowing very little about it, and upgrade that thing substantially--whether in Lincoln Park or in Rosemont. On day one I would:

1. Change the color scheme.
2. Get rid of Oliver Purnell--talk about a guy who is always one step ahead of the posse.
3. Start giving out free tix to every Catholic grade school in Chicago to fill the place a little.
4. Totally redesign the floor. It is butt ugly. Has no one ever noticed?
5. Showcase the band--they are the best thing about a DePaul game.
6. TOTALLY focus on fundraising. TOTALLY. They should be kicking our ass in facilities, amenities and coaching hires with so much more money in Chicago. They have SOOOO many corporate sponsorship options we do not have.

Only good thing they did last night was place the crowd mike in a spot where it sounded like the fans were loud. There weren't enough to make the noise I heard.

DePaul has sooo much potential, they should be embarrassed for their product.

I was on the phone earlier today with a former colleague of mine who graduated from Purdue and we got to talking hoops. He and his fellow Purdue fans are not big fans of T.C. BTW - they think there is a high "slime" factor (his word, not mine) with him and cited some examples, but I told him how grateful MU fans are for (or should be grateful) TC's tenure and I used DePaul as an example of a school that needs a T.C. to turn the program around in addition to the things you ticked off Gato. I was so underwhelmed with the Purnell hire - could not believe it. Get a high profile YOUNG assistant from a high profile program that bleeds energy - "there is no substitute for youth" pertains not only to women, but to the DePaul situation. If they do that along with a settling their arena situation you are going to wake one of the biggest sleeping giants in college b-ball - something that we need to add more credibility to the new league.

ydouask23
01-03-2013, 09:47 PM
I was on the phone earlier today with a former colleague of mine who graduated from Purdue and we got to talking hoops. He and his fellow Purdue fans are not big fans of T.C. BTW - they think there is a high "slime" factor (his word, not mine) with him and cited some examples, but I told him how grateful MU fans are for (or should be grateful) TC's tenure and I used DePaul as an example of a school that needs a T.C. to turn the program around in addition to the things you ticked off Gato. I was so underwhelmed with the Purnell hire - could not believe it. Get a high profile YOUNG assistant from a high profile program that bleeds energy - "there is no substitute for youth" pertains not only to women, but to the DePaul situation. If they do that along with a settling their arena situation you are going to wake one of the biggest sleeping giants in college b-ball - something that we need to add more credibility to the new league.

Pretty much agree with everything said above. I guess the only thing I would say to Gato is that I do not know if it is that easy. A lot of what you said should and could happen with DePaul- but its the reluctance of the Chicago market that also suppresses DePaul basketball. This is a pro sports town that is infatuated with all of their teams. The Bulls have kept sell out streaks alive through the post Jordan era. Even when DePaul was functional in the late 90s and early 2000s when a great team would come into town like a number 1 ranked Cincy- they didnt sell out. Its just not a college sports town. Northwestern football won 10 games this year and their stadium was always full----with other teams' fans. I love the success of Marquette and I don't mean for this to sound brash coming from a Chicago guy- but what else is there to do in Milwaukee in January. A Marquette game is about as alive as the city gets. So I think there is a big difference and big advantage Marquette has over DePaul too in terms of fan interest.

Gato78
01-04-2013, 08:13 AM
ydouask23: Chicago has 10x the number of people. 10x the money. It does not have 10x the number of attractive professional or college sports options. Milwaukee was just fine supporting both a great MU team in 2003 and the Bucks with Cassell, Allen and Big Dog, along with some pretty significant interest in the Admirals and the Wave(to a lesser extent). DePaul needs to engineer its own change. It cannot wait for the team to excel first and then let Chicago catch up. Really need to get out in front.

TheSultan
01-04-2013, 08:25 AM

DePaul raises a great deal of money....in the same ballpark as Marquette. I think this is the root of DePaul's problem - I really am not sure of their overall commitment to basketball. Major fundraising $$ generally follows winners. Like at Marquette, the institutional commitment came first, and then the fundraising and corporate sponsorship dollars followed.

I think DePaul is *trying* to get there. Active talks about a potential new arena show that they are beginning to understand the root of the problem.

ydouask23
01-05-2013, 12:18 PM
ydouask23: Chicago has 10x the number of people. 10x the money. It does not have 10x the number of attractive professional or college sports options. Milwaukee was just fine supporting both a great MU team in 2003 and the Bucks with Cassell, Allen and Big Dog, along with some pretty significant interest in the Admirals and the Wave(to a lesser extent). DePaul needs to engineer its own change. It cannot wait for the team to excel first and then let Chicago catch up. Really need to get out in front.

But it does have 10x the number of entertainment things to do. From museums, plays, college sports, pro sports, semi pro sports etc...just a lot going on in the city to detract from DePaul basketball in Rosemont.

Gato78
01-05-2013, 04:23 PM
Look at the ratio of numbers of people vs the number of big time sporting events. I cannot think that the opera, the House of Blues or any other worthy entertainment option can be shown as responsible for the pathetic DePaul situation. College basketball draws better in Milwaukee, Madison, Evanston, South Bend, Champaign and probably DeKalb than Chicago. DePaul makes excuses for its lack of success. All the tools are there.