PDA

View Full Version : Statement from officiating crew working Marquette-UConn game‏

IWB
01-01-2013, 11:20 PM
From Scott Kuykendall.....

Issue occurred at the start of overtime and the play in question was a goaltend by MU’s Jamil Wilson on the first possession after UConn won the jump ball. The teams lined up for the jump ball facing the baskets away from their respective benches, when they should have been going the other way offensively.

Marquette won 82-76 in the BIG EAST opener for both programs.

“Based on rule five, section one, article three, when the official permits a team to go in the wrong direction, and then the error is discovered, all activity and time consumed shall count as though each team had gone in the proper direction. Play is then resumed with each team going in the proper direction.

“The players went in the wrong direction (tonight). Because we allowed that to happen, the only thing that was wrong is there was a goaltend on the play. We should have scored the goaltend and give Connecticut two points for that.

“You have no team control after that, because you have a shot, so now you go to the alternating possession arrow. Because there is no team control at that point and then Marquette gets the ball and you head them all in the right direction.”

Karl Hess
BIG EAST Official

Hamostradamus
01-02-2013, 12:00 AM
That was so bizarre. I was asking the folks around me which way O'Tule was facing at tipoff. It never occurred to us that the two centers faced the wrong way and the refs allow it. The refs were god-awful At least the bad calls went both ways and ultimately didn't cost either team the game.

IWB
01-02-2013, 12:18 AM
There were so many bad calls in this game it was unreal, but the one that topped it for me was late in second half, UConn loses ball under hoop, ballis on floor, players reaching for it, UConn center grabs it, gets hit while ball is 1 foot off the floor and Hess calls it a shooting foul? Good God.

MUfan12
01-02-2013, 12:24 AM
I watched the replay of the block on Junior in OT. Just a terrible call. Boatright was out of control, off arm extended, and Junior beat him to the spot.

Hess has been terrible for awhile, and I've just about had it with Michael Stephens as well.

MUBasketball
01-02-2013, 12:26 AM
I was asking the folks around me which way O'Tule was facing at tipoff. .

Who's O'Tule?

Hamostradamus
01-02-2013, 08:02 AM
Who's O'Tule?
Irish kid, good sort, hairy back.

MUMac
01-02-2013, 08:30 AM
Hess and Stuart are two of the worst officials. Just incompetent. Hess will be legendary for his ejection of Guigliata and Corchiani last year at NC State. He is no stranger to suspensions and will find it with this episode, I suspect.

I actually like Stephens. He had a few bad calls, but the other bozo's brought him down. His call on Junior was unbelievably bad. As was the episode after Boatwright missed the 2nd free throw. Wolf shold have picked up number 5 right there.

Whenever I see either Hess or Stuart, though, I cringe. Seeing them both in the same game is almost as bad as having Burr and Higgins together.

As to the OT, I think most everyone in the stands saw they were lined up wrong. That is Hess' responsibility. He was too enamored with himself to actually notice.

TrevorCandelino
01-02-2013, 08:52 AM
Did anyone else see Stephens actually addressing the crowd after a couple blown calls in the second half while UConn was shooting free throws? Don't think I've ever seen that before.......

MUMac
01-02-2013, 09:16 AM
I've seen Stephens interact with the crowd fairly regularly.

pbiflyer
01-02-2013, 09:28 AM
Did anyone else see Stephens actually addressing the crowd after a couple blown calls in the second half while UConn was shooting free throws? Don't think I've ever seen that before.......

Last year at the Virgin Islands tourney, it happened. I wonder if it was the same ref.

MayorBeluga
01-02-2013, 10:05 AM
Last year at the Virgin Islands tourney, it happened. I wonder if it was the same ref.

No. Mike Stephens was not in the USVI last season. His "discussion" last night was with Marc Marotta sitting courtside.