PDA

View Full Version : Am I too much of a stickler?

MUBasketball
12-29-2012, 05:30 PM
Hunt's latest blog post about Buzz's suspension is only a few sentences, yet still has two errors.

A) Only lists Jerry's HC jobs as INC-Wilmington and DePaul. What about Richmond?

B) Lists Jeff Reynolds as possibility to coach team vs. UConn, but he's DBO so he can't coach the team.

Am I being overly anal?

P.S. Predictions for who coaches the team Tues? I wouldn't be surprised if it were any of the 3. I would guess Jerry though.

Markedman
12-29-2012, 07:12 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if it was Autry but based on experience it will probably be Jerry.

lougrant
12-29-2012, 08:28 PM
The hits keeping coming from Hunt. Do your homework. Lucas wasn't a member of the '77 team.

Jerome Whitehead is best known at Marquette University for keeping the 1977 national championship on track with a buzzer-beating, game-winning layup against North Carolina-Charlotte in the NCAA semifinals.

The 6-foot-10 forward remembered as part one of the greatest teams in MU history died more than a week ago at age 56. He was found dead in a San Diego suburb, according to California authorities.

"I had always wondered what it felt like to score the winning basket in an important game like that, ever since my cousin Rufus Woods (former North Chicago star) scored the winning basket against Waukegan in 1966," Whitehead told The News-Sun newspaper of Illinois 35 years ago. "I had thought about it for a long time and finally it came true."

Marquette will observe a moment of silence for Whitehead before its Big East opener Tuesday night against Connecticut.

"We are deeply saddened by the passing of Jerome Whitehead," said Michael Broeker, Marquette's deputy athletics director. "Jerome's game-winning layup in the 1977 national semifinal victory over UNC-Charlotte will forever be celebrated as one of the great plays in our program's history. He will be missed. Jerome's family and all of those who knew and loved him are in our thoughts and prayers."

The school will commemorate the 35th anniversary of its only national championship on Feb. 16 against Pittsburgh. Another player from that team, star forward Maurice Lucas, died two years ago of bladder cancer.

Whitehead, a native of Waukegan, Ill., attended Riverside (Calif.) Community College for one season before enrolling at Marquette for his final three years of eligibility. He averaged 11.1 points and 7.7 rebounds a game for the Warriors, including averages of 14.0 points and 8.3 rebounds during the championship season.

Drafted in the second round by the San Diego Clippers, Whitehead played 13 NBA seasons for the Clippers, Utah, Dallas, Cleveland, Golden State and Sacramento. He averaged 6.5 points and 4.8 rebounds during his professional career.

Whitehead's best season came in 1984-'85, when he started 78 games and averaged 13.0 points for the Golden State Warriors.

Whitehead's sister discovered his body Dec. 20, according to a spokesman for the San Diego County Medical Examiner's Office.

BLT
12-30-2012, 09:40 AM
Here is another one if Marquette's Athletics' website is correct: The Feb. 16th game is to honor the 2003 Final Four team, which would be their 10 year. Not vouching for either source though. :)

http://www.gomarquette.com/sports/m-baskbl/sched/marq-m-baskbl-sched.html

lougrant
12-30-2012, 09:50 AM
Has to be the '03 team, b/c '13 will be the 36th, not the 35th, anniversary of our championship. season.

MUBasketball
12-30-2012, 01:36 PM
Actually, as I think about it, I think it'll be Autry coaching the team on Tuesday. He's been with Buzz since he was hired, I think he gets the nod.

IWB
12-31-2012, 12:20 PM
Buzz did not say much about it during the press conference, he made a brief statement and said that is all he would say. Not sure why, but his suspension will last 48 hours, so he can't be anywhere near the team or even his office today or tomorrow. Don't know why they made it 48 hours and not just the game.

Knowing Buzz, this has to be killing him. Aside from his wife and kids, his team means everything to him. He said he would spend the entire day with them yesterday, and then had to shut it down. Said he didn't know what he would do.

Phantom Warrior
12-31-2012, 12:36 PM
This 48-hour business is ridiculous, and I hold the AD responsible. If he wanted to suspend Buzz from coaching one game, so be it. Message sent. That's a harsh enough punishment - not only for Buzz but also for the players.

I could even see 12 hours, and 24 I could even accept. But 48 is BS!!!!!!!! There is no rational reason for it other than an ego-tripping power play as in, "See who's boss. See what I can do!"

This decision will hurt our preparation for Georgetown, which will be a tough enough game as it is.

As far as I'm concerned SCREW the AD because he is screwing with the program - to its detriment. And I challenge any AD apologists on this board to justify the 48-hour ban.

By the way, it also clearly shows that this decision was not Buzz's; it was not self-imposed. Larry Williams is an A$$.

IWB
12-31-2012, 12:39 PM
Eliminating the films and game prep work may be more detrimental than the actual game coaching.

TheSultan
12-31-2012, 12:43 PM
This 48-hour business is ridiculous, and I hold the AD responsible. If he wanted to suspend Buzz from coaching one game, so be it. Message sent. That's a harsh enough punishment - not only for Buzz but also for the players.

I could even see 12 hours, and 24 I could even accept. But 48 is BS!!!!!!!! There is no rational reason for it other than an ego-tripping power play as in, "See who's boss. See what I can do!"

This decision will hurt our preparation for Georgetown, which will be a tough enough game as it is.

As far as I'm concerned SCREW the AD because he is screwing with the program - to its detriment. And I challenge any AD apologists on this board to justify the 48-hour ban.

By the way, it also clearly shows that this decision was not Buzz's; it was not self-imposed. Larry Williams is an A$$.

I guess I would be called an apologist....I just don't see it as that big of a deal.

Phantom Warrior
12-31-2012, 12:51 PM
Seriously?

TheSultan
12-31-2012, 12:52 PM
Seriously?

Yes. He oversees a program and rules were broken. I don't think 48 hours is that big of a deal and those types of standards are appropriate.

IWB
12-31-2012, 12:58 PM
48 hours is a big deal.

BLT
12-31-2012, 01:16 PM
I see where Indiana had a NCAA ruling over the weekend on a secondary violation they self-reported on Holloway. Seven months later, has MU received an answer from the NCAA on MU's external investigation on their secondary violation?

Bocephys
12-31-2012, 01:39 PM
I guess I would be called an apologist....I just don't see it as that big of a deal.
Well clearly you're not working hard enough at imagining reasons to be outraged. You could learn a thing or two from people on this board.

Nukem2
12-31-2012, 01:42 PM
48 hours is a big deal.Very true and this is the first week of the BE season.

TheSultan
12-31-2012, 01:48 PM
Well clearly you're not working hard enough at imagining reasons to be outraged. You could learn a thing or two from people on this board.

LOL....I promise to try harder.

MUBasketball
12-31-2012, 01:51 PM
Lets all keep our eyes peeled at the BC tomorrow for Buzz incognito....Ala Bobby Valentine in the Mets dugout years ago with glasses and a fake mustache after getting tossed! Have loved that guy ever since!

IWB
12-31-2012, 03:37 PM
Lets all keep our eyes peeled at the BC tomorrow for Buzz incognito....Ala Bobby Valentine in the Mets dugout years ago with glasses and a fake mustache after getting tossed! Have loved that guy ever since!

I initially thought he would be in locker room, but he said over the 48 hours he is forbidden from entering any of the facilities - The AL, the Bradley Center - he can't step foot on the property.

And I am pretty sure he won't be the only one absent from the BC tomorrow.

TedBaxter
12-31-2012, 03:52 PM
Is Freeway boycotting?

MUAlphaBangura
12-31-2012, 04:47 PM
I initially thought he would be in locker room, but he said over the 48 hours he is forbidden from entering any of the facilities - The AL, the Bradley Center - he can't step foot on the property.

And I am pretty sure he won't be the only one absent from the BC tomorrow.

Hopefully John Cahill(he runs like a girl) and Jim Burr are absent also.

MUMac
12-31-2012, 05:14 PM
I am not a fan of Cahill. He always wants to be the game. Basketball players dream of making the game winning shot at the buzzer. Cahill dreams of making the game winning call at the buzzer.