PDA

View Full Version : Michael Hunt gets poll attacked by CBS

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
12-24-2012, 11:45 PM
http://cbsprt.co/RP2ror

ValiantSailor
12-25-2012, 07:55 AM
I'm with Hunt on this one. Until the conference season begins, there's very little value in weekly polls. But then, I'm also of the opinion that the whole BCS system is whack and the traditional bowls were better entertainment. So what do I know? :confused:

Merry Christmas, everyone!

VS

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
12-25-2012, 08:07 AM
I disagree, I think Parrish makes a very valid point, Hunt had to volunteer to do this, why volunteer if you aren't going to take it seriously? Don't waste your time, or anyone else's.

MUMac
12-25-2012, 08:11 AM
I disagree, I think Parrish makes a very valid point, Hunt had to volunteer to do this, why volunteer if you aren't going to take it seriously? Don't waste your time, or anyone else's.

Hunt did not say he did not take it seriously. He said it was his opinion and that they do not have significant meaning this time of year. I agree with both Hunt and VS on this one. This time of year, the polls have some meaning, but not much. Their importance is far overstated.

2012Warrior
12-25-2012, 08:25 AM
I think he has been poll attacked 4 or 5 times this year.

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
12-25-2012, 01:39 PM
Hunt did not say he did not take it seriously. He said it was his opinion and that they do not have significant meaning this time of year. I agree with both Hunt and VS on this one. This time of year, the polls have some meaning, but not much. Their importance is far overstated.

Hmm...

"The ballots are due each Sunday night and I typically don't give mine a lot of thought until the time I spend trying to make sure I write down 25 teams without duplication."

Right there, that says he doesn't take it seriously. He doesn't give it a lot of thought until he scribbles it down and hopes not to write a team's name twice? I'm not saying he should be adjusting it all week long, but when you see Syracuse lose to Temple or Arizona having a 3-0 week including a win against Florida, maybe those are good times to give it some thought. If you don't care enough to give it a second thought until Sunday night, maybe let someone who's willing to put the effort in submit a ballot.

MUMac
12-25-2012, 02:16 PM
Hmm...

Right there, that says he doesn't take it seriously. He doesn't give it a lot of thought until he scribbles it down and hopes not to write a team's name twice? I'm not saying he should be adjusting it all week long, but when you see Syracuse lose to Temple or Arizona having a 3-0 week including a win against Florida, maybe those are good times to give it some thought. If you don't care enough to give it a second thought until Sunday night, maybe let someone who's willing to put the effort in submit a ballot.

No, he does not say he doesn't take it seriously. He also does not say he "scribbles it down" either. Give me a break. Pretty weak sauce.

12-25-2012, 02:44 PM
His entire article was dismissive of the value of polls and the process. I honestly don't get how you could take anything but that from what he wrote.

For the record, I'm not trying to say the polls are important, but if you are going to basically say they don't matter and you don't put much time or thought into them until the last minute, why on earth would anyone take what you are writing seriously? And have you read the criticisms from Parrish? Hunt's poll record this year is completely nonsensical.

MUMac
12-25-2012, 05:57 PM
His entire article was dismissive of the value of polls and the process. I honestly don't get how you could take anything but that from what he wrote.

For the record, I'm not trying to say the polls are important, but if you are going to basically say they don't matter and you don't put much time or thought into them until the last minute, why on earth would anyone take what you are writing seriously? And have you read the criticisms from Parrish? Hunt's poll record this year is completely nonsensical.

You stated he "scribbles it down". That alone makes me think your post was not a good one, nor well thought out. See, saying something - even a throw away line - may change one's perceptions, as mine did of your post and position.

He said that at this time in the year he did not feel the polls had value. He said he did not think about them BEFORE writing the names down. Not that he did not think about them when he wrote them down. Heck, a week or so ago I read countless opinions and comments on this board that there were not 3 better teams then Florida. Some did not think there was one better team. Well, they were wrong and the one's that chose 3 may be right as they have only lost 2 games since then. I guess that Zona and K State are two the two better teams. So, I am expecting Florida to go undefeated from here on out until they meet one of those two in the Final 4.

I swear some people (and I include you to a degree) will complain about anything Hunt writes or does. I think he has done a good job of writing about MU. Further, I find no fault at all for his poll ratings or comments he made. You do, but then again, that is what I would have expected.

12-25-2012, 07:54 PM
I've been more or less pleased and surprised with Hunt. He didn't do much early, but has come through with some good articles. I still take issue with some of what he's done, but while he's no Rosiak, he's also no Enlund.

But regardless, Parrish has laid out his criticisms of Hunt's rankings very well and also explained the reasons why voters should take their ballot seriously. That's why I appreciate the ballots of people like him, Goodman, and Seth Davis who clearly put time and effort into their votes and defend them.

I also find it difficult to take a ballot seriously where the voter essentially admits he isn't paying much attention to the landscape until Sunday night.

MU/Panther
12-25-2012, 09:16 PM
Did Goodman not like where Hunt ranked a team?

12-26-2012, 08:00 AM
Here's the history of the past month in Poll Attacks...

Nov. 26 Hunt had Duke 4 spots behind Louisville despite the Blue Devils beating Louisville on a neutral court, had NC State rated six spots ahead of Oklahoma State despite OSU having a win over NCST and an undefeated record, and had Memphis at #18 despite losses to VCU and Minnesota, neither of whom he had ranked.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/blog/eye-on-college-basketball/21144385/the-poll-attacks

Dec. 3 Hunt moved Duke up to 3 and Louisville down to 6 despite the Cardinals going undefeated on the week and also dropped Memphis from the top-25 despite them winning their only game of the week by 28 points. Basically, fixing what he had been called out on as having wrong despite there being no reason to fix it if he believed in the integrity of his ballot in the first place.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/blog/eye-on-college-basketball/21247088/the-poll-attacks

Dec. 10 Hunt dropped Duke to 5th (lowest of any voter) despite the Blue Devils winning their only game of the week over Temple, which makes no sense if he believed Duke to be 3rd best a week earlier.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/blog/eye-on-college-basketball/21350131/the-poll-attacks-guess-who-turned-in-another-silly-ballot

Dec. 24 After Hunt seemed to take corrective action each time Parrish called him out and people tweeted the Parrish links at him, he claimed the first he heard of the Poll Attacks was from a LSU reporter. Regardless, Parrish responded to Hunt's article on jsonline that basically said rankings at this time of the season are meaningless and he puts no thought into his ballot until Sunday night when he just tries to write down 25 names without duplication.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/blog/eye-on-college-basketball/21450009/poll-attacks-what-up-michael-hunt