PDA

View Full Version : Catholic 7 working on exit strategy

milkbone
12-24-2012, 12:25 PM
1. The presidents and athletic directors of the seven Catholic Big East schools (Georgetown, Villanova, Seton Hall, St. John's, Providence, Marquette, DePaul) will meet in early January to start extracting the schools, according to a source. The plan for the seven would be to get out for next season, but that's unlikely. A more realistic scenario is to cut out on July 1, 2014, a year before the 27-month exit of July 1, 2015. The lack of a television deal for the 2013-14 men's basketball season is a major concern for the seven. The seven are expected to come together after the holidays to pick a legislative team to orchestrate an exit.

http://espn.go.com/blog/colleg...t-exit-strategy

Markedman
12-24-2012, 12:27 PM
http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/college/basketball/game_of_name_in_big_east_split_Z8tWWS17CNrVQYweK2j PQK

TheSultan
12-25-2012, 05:07 PM
Interesting that George Mason is being mentioned instead of VCU.

MU_Iceman
12-25-2012, 05:38 PM
Interesting that George Mason is being mentioned instead of VCU.

Dayton, SLU and George Mason?? Yuck...yuck and more yuck. Hello mid major. Recruits will LOVE knowing they can battle against powerhouse programs like SLU, Dayton and George Mason. If the presidents pick any one of these three instead of Creighton, they are the biggest group of idiots to ever walk the face of the earth. In fact the simple fact that George mason and Duquesne would even be under consideration(if true), proves the collective IQ of this group is seriously lacking. They should let me pick the teams. At least then the conference would get respect.

MUMac
12-25-2012, 05:47 PM
Dayton, SLU and George Mason?? Yuck...yuck and more yuck. Hello mid major. Recruits will LOVE knowing they can battle against powerhouse programs like SLU, Dayton and George Mason. If the presidents pick any one of these three instead of Creighton, they are the biggest group of idiots to ever walk the face of the earth. In fact the simple fact that George mason and Duquesne would even be under consideration(if true), proves the collective IQ of this group is seriously lacking. They should let me pick the teams. At least then the conference would get respect.

Man your diatribes are getting old and stale. We understand your point. Saying it incessantly does not make it any more cogent or make anyone agree with you. Many, including I, do not. You are not the one who defines mid major, even if you think you are.

Please, when someone mentions a team you do not like, one time let it go without a post like the one above.

TheSultan
12-25-2012, 05:58 PM

First, the entire idea of labeling a conference "mid-major" because of their bottom tier is silly. But I have to admit, this is the first I have heard someone say that if they don't pick Creighton they are "idiots." Creighton has done nothing of significance in the NCAA tournament. Their last Sweet 16 was in 1974. And outside of the recent McDermott buzz, really hasn't moved the college basketball needle at all. Not sure how having them puts us in some sort of favorable light, while George Mason, SLU and Dayton wouldn't.

MU_Iceman
12-25-2012, 06:03 PM
First, the entire idea of labeling a conference "mid-major" because of their bottom tier is silly. But I have to admit, this is the first I have heard someone say that if they don't pick Creighton they are "idiots." Creighton has done nothing of significance in the NCAA tournament. Their last Sweet 16 was in 1974. And outside of the recent McDermott buzz, really hasn't moved the college basketball needle at all. Not sure how having them puts us in some sort of favorable light, while George Mason, SLU and Dayton wouldn't.

I agree....not a huge Creighton fan either...but sure as hell like them more then any of the other aforementioned teams with the exception of Xavier and Butler. What have Dayton and SLU done to move the college basketball needle?? Yet everyone seemingly wants them in the conference. We don't need more DePaul's...One is bad enough. I still don't know why they don't at least give serious consideration to asking Memphis and Temple?? Seriously...what major conference will ever want their football?? They'd be a "safe" choice, and seriously help the conference image.

TheSultan
12-25-2012, 06:07 PM
I agree....not ah uge Creighton fan either...but sure as hell like them more then any of the other aforementioned teams with the exception of Xavier and Butler.

Why? George Mason has been to a Final Four in the past decade and is a located in the DC area. Dayton has arguably been just as successful as Creighton. SLU at little less so, but not significantly so.

MU_Iceman
12-25-2012, 06:16 PM
Why? George Mason has been to a Final Four in the past decade and is a located in the DC area. Dayton has arguably been just as successful as Creighton. SLU at little less so, but not significantly so.

People keep talking about market size! WHO CARES?? This should be about the quality of basketball. Period. Georgetown has the DC market locked up anyway. VCU before any of those, if they HAVE to take more than 10. Who is going to watch the SLU-Dayton game other than fans in those markets?? NO one...they don't register with the average college BB fan, at all. Now VCU....people know them because of their recent success...they will tune in to watch them.

MUMac
12-25-2012, 06:38 PM
And the thread again takes a distasteful change. Leave this for scoop or scout. Let's try to stay on topic here and not make the same points over and over again in multiple threads.

Is iceman murff?

TheSultan
12-25-2012, 06:44 PM
People keep talking about market size! WHO CARES?? This should be about the quality of basketball. Period. Georgetown has the DC market locked up anyway. VCU before any of those, if they HAVE to take more than 10. Who is going to watch the SLU-Dayton game other than fans in those markets?? NO one...they don't register with the average college BB fan, at all. Now VCU....people know them because of their recent success...they will tune in to watch them.

Ice, you are all over the place man.

First, I will note that you never answered my question about what excites you about Creighton. Again, Creighton has been to one S16...back in 1974.

Second, you bring up VCU's recent success while ignoring George Mason's. You do realize that George Mason went to a Final Four five years before VCU did. I mean, unless you are a flea on crack, you aren't going to think that one has a better history than the other. Since 1990 they have the exact same number of tournament appearances.

MU_Iceman
12-25-2012, 06:46 PM
And the thread again takes a distasteful change. Leave this for scoop or scout. Let's try to stay on topic here and not make the same points over and over again in multiple threads.

Is iceman murff?

Because Mac's opinion is the only one that matters. Fine...you spring wood over watching MU-Dayton and MU-SLU I get that. That's your prerogative. You want to be ok with MU being known as a mid major school again that's up to you. I don't have to like it...that's the beauty of America. If you don't see the value of adding Gonzaga...then that's your deal..I always assumed you were an intelligent guy...perhaps not so much. This is about men's basketball. Track, VB, etc, are meaningless. They don't bring the University a dime. You do what you have to do. if the execs tell them..."hey, bring in Gonzaga and we will pay more", would it be worth it to you then?? Cuz they ain't saying "bring in SLU and Dayton and we will pay more". You might think they will, but they won't. No one cares about SLU and Dayton. they are 100% irrelevant in the college BB landscape, much like DePaul is. How many more like them do you want MU to play against??

MU_Iceman
12-25-2012, 06:51 PM
Ice, you are all over the place man.

First, I will note that you never answered my question about what excites you about Creighton. Again, Creighton has been to one S16...back in 1974.

Second, you bring up VCU's recent success while ignoring George Mason's. You do realize that George Mason went to a Final Four five years before VCU did. I mean, unless you are a flea on crack, you aren't going to think that one has a better history than the other. Since 1990 they have the exact same number of tournament appearances.

I know you are a BIG proponent of Dayton...what is your wood for Dayton?? Tell me what they have done that's been relevant in the last few years?? How many NCAA tournaments have they been too?? Don't give me market size or anything like that. What has their BB product done on the floor?? I know what Creighton's has done...This isn't about what they have done in the past...this is about what have you done for me lately. Everyone cites the "histories" of these schools. So?? How is 1998 relevant to what their programs are today?? I said...nothing excites me about Creighton either. But I'm taking them far before SLU, Duquesne, G. Mason, or sure as hell more than Dayton. Why?? Their recent tournament history. I can't give you more than that because that's what I'm basing it on. Period. Now...your turn...what excites you about Dayton or SLU(specifically Dayton) based on RECENT tournament history. 1983 ain't walking thru that door. I'll hang up and listen.

TheSultan
12-25-2012, 07:14 PM
I know you are a BIG proponent of Dayton...what is your wood for Dayton?? Tell me what they have done that's been relevant in the last few years?? How many NCAA tournaments have they been too?? Don't give me market size or anything like that. What has their BB product done on the floor?? I know what Creighton's has done...This isn't about what they have done in the past...this is about what have you done for me lately. Everyone cites the "histories" of these schools. So?? How is 1998 relevant to what their programs are today?? I said...nothing excites me about Creighton either. But I'm taking them far before SLU, Duquesne, G. Mason, or sure as hell more than Dayton. Why?? Their recent tournament history. I can't give you more than that because that's what I'm basing it on. Period. Now...your turn...what excites you about Dayton or SLU(specifically Dayton) based on RECENT tournament history. 1983 ain't walking thru that door. I'll hang up and listen.

First off, I am not really excited about Dayton. No idea where you got that. What I have said is that I trust the people making these decisions, and if they choose Dayton, then I will be fine with it.

Second, you are ridiculously inconsistent. You are excited about Creighton's "recent tournament history." Do you know what Creighton's recent tournament history is? 7 bids since 2000 - two victories. George Mason was in a Final Four in 2006. So who has the better "recent tournament history???"

Honestly, you really need to tone it down. Your immaturity completely undermines your arguments.

MUMac
12-25-2012, 07:19 PM
Because Mac's opinion is the only one that matters. Fine...you spring wood over watching MU-Dayton and MU-SLU I get that. That's your prerogative. You want to be ok with MU being known as a mid major school again that's up to you. I don't have to like it...that's the beauty of America. If you don't see the value of adding Gonzaga...then that's your deal..I always assumed you were an intelligent guy...perhaps not so much. This is about men's basketball. Track, VB, etc, are meaningless. They don't bring the University a dime. You do what you have to do. if the execs tell them..."hey, bring in Gonzaga and we will pay more", would it be worth it to you then?? Cuz they ain't saying "bring in SLU and Dayton and we will pay more". You might think they will, but they won't. No one cares about SLU and Dayton. they are 100% irrelevant in the college BB landscape, much like DePaul is. How many more like them do you want MU to play against??

Really murff? I am not the one who constantly bitches, whines and destroys threads with the same position over and over and over and over and over .... again. That to me is the definition of the person who believes theirs is the only position that matters. You, sir, are that person.

As for your childish smut laced posts, take it to scoop or scout. Really, a day or so ago IWB asked that this board not become one of those. Frankly, you are making it one.

Now, back to the topic, how do you feel about the C7 working on an early exit strategy? That was the purpose of this thread before you and sultan made it a difficult one to read. Congrats kids.

TheSultan
12-25-2012, 07:33 PM
That was the purpose of this thread before you and sultan made it a difficult one to read. Congrats kids.

Whoa...what? Not exactly sure what I said that made it "difficult to read."

But to answer the question, I think it benefits both parties to make the divorce as quick as possible. I never thought it was going to happen as late as 2015. Schools need to move on. 2013 is probably too quick to hope for. 2014 makes the most sense.

The NY Post article says something very interesting....that the football side of the conference is looking to build a credible basketball product with UConn, UC, Memphis and Temple. This is why I think the idea of having them as members of the C7 isn't going to happen. Not because the C7 doesn't want it...but because the football schools don't want it.

MU_Iceman
12-25-2012, 07:34 PM
One last thing on this topic....then I will address the early exit strategy...

Tournament appearances since 2000-

Creighton-7
Dayton-3
SLU-1

As far as the early exit strategy...I like it...get out as soon as you can. However, I do have some concerns they are rushing all of this. There is so much to be worked out yet...which teams to invite, a TV deal, heck, they need a commissioner still. If you don't get the BE name or MSG where will you host the tournament?? What will the conference name be. So many things to do...if they leave next year already, can they have everything else worked out??

MUMac
12-25-2012, 08:16 PM
Whoa...what? Not exactly sure what I said that made it "difficult to read."

There are multiple threads on the topic that you and iceman debated ... once again. In fact, you two have gone off the topic MANY times in the same debate. I learned absolutely nothing that I did not know before tonight about either of your positions, yet you both regurgitated the same garbage several more times in this thread alone. It had absolutely nothing to do with the initial thread, which is what I wanted to read. It get's tiring to read the same old crap over again. Yes, you made it that way along with murff.

Phantom Warrior
12-25-2012, 08:30 PM
Out of curiosity what makes you think Iceman is Murff? Any others feel the same?

kneelb4zerg
12-25-2012, 08:32 PM
Out of curiosity what makes you think Iceman is Murff? Any others feel the same?

Hell no. He's gomarquette.

MU_Iceman
12-25-2012, 08:45 PM
Hell no. He's gomarquette.

Please do NOT compare me to that tool. :rolleyes:

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
12-25-2012, 08:51 PM
To get back on topic... I think it's important that when looking at teams they don't get too caught up in what teams have done a few years ago, and for example, when looking at schools like VCU, Butler, and George Mason who are all schools that were mid-majors that made runs to the final four I think it's more important to look at what they have done since then. How have they used that success for more future success, how have they invested that revenue and attention they used? Look at Marquette, they used their final four run to invest in new facilities and upgrading the program. It is clear that Butler and VCU have done that, George Mason? I'm not sure, I guess I don't know enough about their program, but they have been awful quiet since then.

I really think its important that they find schools that are all in for basketball and will spend the necessary money to keep their programs at a high level. I think they should review all of these teams listed and see what their qualifications are because the last thing we want is another DePaul.

TheSultan
12-25-2012, 08:56 PM
There are multiple threads on the topic that you and iceman debated ... once again. In fact, you two have gone off the topic MANY times in the same debate. I learned absolutely nothing that I did not know before tonight about either of your positions, yet you both regurgitated the same garbage several more times in this thread alone. It had absolutely nothing to do with the initial thread, which is what I wanted to read. It get's tiring to read the same old crap over again. Yes, you made it that way along with murff.

Sorry Mac, but that is simply not the case. I went back five pages on this board and did not see a single instance where we have gone off the topic and gone back and forth more than one or two posts. We did have a back and forth on the premium board of a couple posts in one topic. Now I may have overlooked something, and will stand corrected if that is pointed out to me.

WarriorsNuffSaid
12-25-2012, 08:58 PM
Please do NOT compare me to that tool. :rolleyes:

You sure you're not gomarquette???

Halo
12-25-2012, 10:57 PM
What made MU desirable for the BE? At that time look at their recent success and compare it to those hating on everyone outside of the C7. The BE took MU up another level, but look at what they were upon joining.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
12-26-2012, 07:44 AM
That's my point, I don't think the Final Four alone got us there, I think what we did with that final four is what got us there. It's important that programs are always setting themselves up for future success, keeping facilities up to date, keeping coaches paid and happy, investing into their program, etc... That to me is what separates GMU and say VCU or Creighton... While Creighton hasn't made a run in the tournament they have been their much more consistently and I think you could argue that the Valley has been at the very least as difficult or more difficult of a league.

MUMac
12-26-2012, 08:26 AM

It was a joke. I know he is gomarquette with his bombastic responses. He has been acting like murff, as he constantly changes the topic in a thread and is singular in focus.

Phantom Warrior
12-26-2012, 09:37 AM
Got it. Thanks.

JohnnyRev
12-27-2012, 02:37 PM
For all his repetitions and faults, Murf was far more pleasant and far less hostile than Iceman in many of his posts. Don't insult Murf by comparing Iceman to him.

TedBaxter
12-27-2012, 02:47 PM
Hey Johnny, what's the pulse on campus in regards to this conference stuff? Do you have any connections at the other schools being mentioned like Creighton, Dayton, Saint Louis or Gonzaga that may know some inside information?

MUMac
12-27-2012, 09:42 PM
For all his repetitions and faults, Murf was far more pleasant and far less hostile than Iceman in many of his posts. Don't insult Murf by comparing Iceman to him.

Excellent point Father. I will refrain from that comparison in the future.