PDA

View Full Version : Jabari Parker to Duke

Nukem2
12-20-2012, 03:27 PM
Just announced on ESPNU

ge1974
12-21-2012, 09:11 AM
As with all of these type of commitment announcements, a little over the top, IMO.

Does anyone know whether Parker will play on Sundays since he is a Mormon? I also wonder about Manti Te"o of ND who is also a Mormon. How does the NFL fit in with him?

By the way, Parker stated that he didn't want to go to Michigan State because of Brandon Dawson. Kind of a weak excuse , IMO to eliminate MSU as I'm sure Izzo would have found a way

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20121220/SPORTS0202/212200482

Hey, at least MU fans can always say "Parker attended Midnight Madness at Marquette".

realchiliwarrior
12-21-2012, 09:21 AM
I recall that Steve Young(NFL) and Danny Ainge(NBA) played on Sundays.

ge1974
12-21-2012, 09:36 AM
You are correct realchilliwarrior. Perhaps its more of a "BYU" rule rather than a Mormon decision.

TheSultan
12-21-2012, 09:42 AM
Like any religion, it depends how strict you are.

unclejohn
12-21-2012, 10:29 AM
There was a kicker with the Bears some years ago who was a Seventh-Day Adventist. He played in an exhibition game on Saturday night, but had to wait until sunset to kick off. The team stalled a bit so he could make it. He didn't make the team.

Most famously, Hank Greenberg sat out a series with the Tigers during the High Holy Days when they were in the middle of a pennant race. When the White Sox clinched their division for the first time in 1983, the Jewish owners missed the game for the same reason. I am sure they watched the recording later.

WindyCityGoldenEagle
12-21-2012, 11:10 AM
As an MSU fan I have to say that if Dawson is really the reason than that's one of the poorest reasons I have heard in a long time. Yes they technically play the same position but he and Parker are two completely different players and Izzo would have made it work. If you choose Duke bc you like coach K and the program more than izzo and MSU that's completely fine but don't cop out and use dawson as an excuse---weak sauce imo.

Goose85
12-21-2012, 12:59 PM
I hope that Duke gets nailed by the NCAA with violations stemming from the Lance Thomas loan / jewlery deal. I'm sure it won't happen, but it should.