PDA

View Full Version : Does WISN still hold a grudge?

Markedman
02-27-2012, 01:09 PM
Over losing the radio rights to MUBB?

I just heard this...."and in sports......Wisconsin checks in at 15 in the coaches poll"

Not even a mention of MU being 7th......lol

I mean we are the local team right?

Pretty funny

IWB
02-27-2012, 01:26 PM
You here that stuff around here a lot. It bothers me with the Journal. They have their "Newswatch" section that highlights all of the newsflash stories. Well, when the new rankings come out, either Potrykus or Enlund does a Newswatch feature reporting the team's new ranking. I have watched this over the course of the year. When Potrykus does it, no mention of MU. When Enlund does it, no mention of Wisconsin. And, only a few times have they both done it, almost seems like a second guy posting it is duplication.

So how about this? How about, instead of Potrykus & Enlund doing that, it falls onto someone like Bob Wolfley or Don Walker, so that when the new rankings come out, basketball fans can read about BOTH teams, instead of one writer trying to outdo another?

FWIW, here are the new rankings. (http://www.brewcityball.com/MU_rankings.php)

TedBaxter
02-27-2012, 07:42 PM
Does Homer ever mention Marquette on his radio show? If he does, its not during the time I've listened to it.

Goose85
02-28-2012, 08:50 AM
Homer's show believes it is all Packers all the time. I'm sure that is what he is being told.
I think he may be a bit sensitive about promoting MU as his show is also on in Madison. I wish he would talk more MU.

IWB
02-28-2012, 09:01 AM
I think he had that approach long before his show was broadcast in Madison. Fans around here are too sensitive. He mentions anything about Marquette, he gets blasted for being....well...a "homer".

I actually heard one last year that really bothered me. A local radio guy was talking to a friend of mine (off air) about the state tournament, and was looking for guests. My friend suggested someone, and the response was, "He's too much of a Marquette guy". Huh? We're talking about preps, right? To this day that comment really pisses me off. It isn't like he was suggesting that Jim McIlvaine preview the Big 10 tourney, or Matt Lepay preview the Big East tourney, it is high school hoops!!!

And no, the suggested was not me.

IWB
02-28-2012, 09:14 AM
Ok, I am not done with this. I have some issues with local radio. Yes, the Packers are THE team, with the Brewers #2. I get that, no problem. But what about Marquette, UWM, Wisconsin or Preps? Other than a special show, like the "Buzz Williams Show", "Rob Jeter Show" or the "Coaches show with Mike McGivern", there is no talk.

When Doug Russell was let go from WSSP, I posted that I was not happy with the move. Someone questioned me, saying that it was hard to believe I agreed with his views. So I explained that while I don't always agree with Doug, I respect his work ethic...Here it is in more detail...I have covered sports in Milwaukee for years. Throughout the year teams have "media availability". Some are big press conferences, some are just 'media availability'' with a coach and two players. No matter what sport, is almost always the same people. I am not throwing anyone under the bus, so don't ask for names, but I will use Doug as an example on the positive side. While with WSSP, Doug was ALWAYS there. In other words, he put in the time. Did his research, asked the questions. There are many that do not. Some of the biggest names in Milwaukee TV/radio never go. NEVER. There are guys that I have never seen at anything. There are guys I have seen only once - that is over the course of YEARS, and multiple teams/sports!!

Oh, but now that March Madness is around the corner, they will come.

One specific event that bothers me the most is a local radio guy, and this was several years ago. He had not been to an MU game that I had ever seen, but it was the big matchup with Wisconsin. Always a ton of media. So, he put in for what was apparently two credentials. The second one went to his girlfriend. The two of them sat there snuggled up, talking, arm around her, watching zero of the game. He left a few times and brought back snacks and drinks for both of them, it was like date night on press row. That one incident would be enough for me to never respect him, but I have only seen him at one media event since, so it eats at me even more.

It doesn't take much to talk about your local teams. Yes, Packers and Brewers are your big draw, but don't ignore the rest.

Goose85
02-28-2012, 09:30 AM
Look forward to you getting your radio portion of the site going. That will be great!

TedBaxter
02-28-2012, 12:10 PM
So Homer can't mention Marquette at all?

I've heard him bring up Badger football and Badger basketball on different occasions and he's catering to part of his audience like he should do, but in the 15 minute ride home, I've NEVER heard Marquette mentioned in the last year or so when I've tuned in. I don't mind listening to the Badger stuff at all since it's not the usual Packer talk, but I often get frustrated listening to the show and turn it over to Mike Heller's show in Madison. Heller admittedly hates Marquette, but at least he gets some different guests on to talk about different topics.

TrevorCandelino
02-28-2012, 12:13 PM
I actually hear Homer talk about MU all the time.....Has Mac on from time to time too.....And in the "Rainman" trivia contest, there is always a MU related question....