PDA

View Full Version : Just back from GB

Gato78
12-19-2012, 11:21 PM
This loss is on us and no one else. If not for Jamil's 3s in the first half, we may have lost big. It was not like an adverse atmosphere by any stretch. Most GB fans were just there for the spectacle. Not an intense crowd at all. They were not really into it until the last two minutes. Many MU fans there but not much to get loud about. Sykes dominated Junior and the game. With the Carrington Love and Muhammed, they were just quicker at the guard spot than we were. Brian Wardle went sagging zone and stuck with it and did not change it at all. He did a great job of making it a grinder--looked like he was doing a Bo Ryan number. Seldom is Buzz outcoached but he probably was tonight. Jake Thomas needs to make threes or he should not be on the court. CO2 needs to get back to where he was 2 years ago. Not sure if it is injuries that hinder him or burn out but he needs to contribute more like right now--though perhaps he cannot do any more. Best part of the night: the inevitable Pat Driscoll double technical. I think Driscoll is picking up where Tim Higgins left off by inserting himself in the game to let everyone know he is there. At one point I yelled at Driscoll, and he heard me: "Hey, Pat. I think you now lead the NCAA in double technicals. " What a doufus.

MU/Panther
12-19-2012, 11:30 PM
I just got back from GB.
Thank god I made it thru Port Washington and that snow.
Many MU fans at the game. I bet most live in Green Bay.

Gato78
12-19-2012, 11:34 PM
Port Wash was the only problem. Otherwise drive was fine.

bleedbluegold03
12-19-2012, 11:57 PM
Sykes dominated Junior and the game.

Lost all the love he gained from me for the UW win tonight from a 2012-2013 season perspective. Once the season is over I'll forever thank him for the UW win as I cherish each one but lord is he a defensive liability.

and when he shoots 4-12 from the field and gives up the ball 5 times, I don't know why he stays on the court.

Read the PaintTouches article or listen to watch Buzz even says, but Wilson is the better option :confused:

Phantom Warrior
12-20-2012, 12:27 AM
Wilson is the better option? Seriously? He contributes nothing on offense. He is a better defensive player than Junior, but when Derrick is on offense, it's like playing four on five.

As for Junior, I knew it was going to be a long night for him when he missed that relatively easy break-away lay up early in the game.

MUBasketball
12-20-2012, 01:08 AM
Just got back as well. I agree with pretty much everything Gato said.

I don't want to hear one complaint about the officials. Not breaking 50 against an average (I'm being generous) GB team? The blame is on the team. As mentioned, there was that hot stretch towards the end of the 2nd half, otherwise it was very blah the entire time.

Also, I tweeted to Jake after the game and congratulated him on having the stones to take that last shot. Great look, just didn't drop. I'm happy any time he shoots, regardless of whether he's hot or cold at that point. I thought for sure that 3 would drop at the end of the game.

Ah well, on to LSU.

Nukem2
12-20-2012, 01:44 AM
Just got back as well. I agree with pretty much everything Gato said.

I don't want to hear one complaint about the officials. Not breaking 50 against an average (I'm being generous) GB team? The blame is on the team. As mentioned, there was that hot stretch towards the end of the 2nd half, otherwise it was very blah the entire time.

Also, I tweeted to Jake after the game and congratulated him on having the stones to take that last shot. Great look, just didn't drop. I'm happy any time he shoots, regardless of whether he's hot or cold at that point. I thought for sure that 3 would drop at the end of the game.

Ah well, on to LSU.
Jake has not earned the right to take that shot. Needed something else......

JDubMU
12-20-2012, 06:50 AM
Earn the right? Really? Who else on this team would you rather take an outside shot with little time left? I really dont think he would be on the floor in the clutch if coach doesnt think he earned the right.

MU_Iceman
12-20-2012, 07:04 AM
Earn the right? Really? Who else on this team would you rather take an outside shot with little time left? I really dont think he would be on the floor in the clutch if coach doesnt think he earned the right.

A play should have been designed for Vander to drive and at least get fouled. Or, a play drawn up to get the ball to Jamil. But a walk on?? Really??

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
12-20-2012, 07:35 AM
A play should have been designed for Vander to drive and at least get fouled. Or, a play drawn up to get the ball to Jamil. But a walk on?? Really??

You can't plan on getting fouled because the refs were swallowing their whistles when we went inside. Or did you miss that UWGB beat us in FTAs 19-9?

You take the open shot. Jake is out there because Buzz believes in him. He got a good lock. He didn't knock it down. Sometimes the bounce goes your way, sometimes it doesn't. But to act like Jake for attempting a good look is ridiculous. Besides, the way last night was going, had Jake made the shot with 2.8 left, UWGB would have hit a half-court winner. Sometimes it just isn't going to happen.

MUBasketball
12-20-2012, 08:00 AM

Vander drove to the basket a few times throughout the night and never got a call. Why bank on that in clutch time?

And I completely disagree, Nukem. As JDub says, who the hell else earned the right to take the last shot last night? MU shot under 40% for the game and missed 14 3 pointers. Maybe Jamil? But his points came in a few minute flurry last in the first half. Othewise, he was quiet offensively per usual.

Buzz got a 3 point shooter a great look at the end of a game. Can't ask for anything better. If they are in the same situation against LSU on Saturday, I'll hope Jake takes the same shot again.

MU_Iceman
12-20-2012, 08:03 AM
You can't plan on getting fouled because the refs were swallowing their whistles when we went inside. Or did you miss that UWGB beat us in FTAs 19-9?

You take the open shot. Jake is out there because Buzz believes in him. He got a good lock. He didn't knock it down. Sometimes the bounce goes your way, sometimes it doesn't. But to act like Jake for attempting a good look is ridiculous. Besides, the way last night was going, had Jake made the shot with 2.8 left, UWGB would have hit a half-court winner. Sometimes it just isn't going to happen.

It's only a good look, if the shot goes in. That's how I have always viewed it.

IWB
12-20-2012, 08:11 AM

Ok, then let's just agree that he was wide open.

kneelb4zerg
12-20-2012, 08:15 AM
Ok, then let's just agree that he was wide open.

He's only wide open if it goes in!

Markedman
12-20-2012, 08:15 AM
"It's only a good look, if the shot goes in. That's how I have always viewed it."

Come on...that is ridiculous and you know it.

Novak got an open look to beat Alabama at the end of the game in the NCAA tourny . He missed.....It happens.

Not every shot is going in.....You can't determine outcomes.

What we should all be mad about is that it ever came down to that...or that Buzz thought he was one of our best options.....those are the things that are concerning.

TheSultan
12-20-2012, 08:24 AM

Ridiculous statement. Fans like you drive me nuts..."I'm only satisfied if the result is what I want." Whatever....

Having just saw the replay, that was a completely fine look. He was square and had space. That's supposed to be his strength right? I have no problems with that shot at all.

mutpm
12-20-2012, 08:37 AM
The frustrations come because this team is extremely inconsistent. Unless something seriously changes during the break, this is how the season is going to go. They will probably beat a team or 2 that they shouldn't and they will lose a game or 2 that they shouldn't. All season, this has looked like a 10-8 Big East team.

WindyCityGoldenEagle
12-20-2012, 08:58 AM
The frustrations come because this team is extremely inconsistent.

Are they really inconsistent though? How many times have they really played incredibly well to eventually see them unexpectedly throw out a clunker (my view of inconsistency)? All in all I think they've been rather consistent---a very consistently average team.

Nukem2
12-20-2012, 09:41 AM
Vander drove to the basket a few times throughout the night and never got a call. Why bank on that in clutch time?

And I completely disagree, Nukem. As JDub says, who the hell else earned the right to take the last shot last night? MU shot under 40% for the game and missed 14 3 pointers. Maybe Jamil? But his points came in a few minute flurry last in the first half. Othewise, he was quiet offensively per usual.

Buzz got a 3 point shooter a great look at the end of a game. Can't ask for anything better. If they are in the same situation against LSU on Saturday, I'll hope Jake takes the same shot again.
Jake has been missing wide open 3s all season. Needs to hit some consistently to "earn" that last shot. As Gato posted, if Jake is not hitting his 3s, he should not be on the floor.
Did not need a 3. Going for a higher % 2 would have made more sense.

MU_Iceman
12-20-2012, 09:55 AM
"It's only a good look, if the shot goes in. That's how I have always viewed it."

Come on...that is ridiculous and you know it.

Novak got an open look to beat Alabama at the end of the game in the NCAA tourny . He missed.....It happens.

Not every shot is going in.....You can't determine outcomes.

What we should all be mad about is that it ever came down to that...or that Buzz thought he was one of our best options.....those are the things that are concerning.

I'm mad they lost the damn game...to a bad, undermanned UWGB game. This is the 4th game in Buzz's tenure that i can remember that they lost to a much more inferior opponent...The other three were DePaul, S. Florida(When Zar missed a Putback), and Seton Hall two years ago. This one is especially stinky because it was a non conference opponent. One thing about Buzz's teams is in the past they have always beaten the cupcakes on their schedule in the non conference. They may struggle with them from time to time, but they win the game...this one...It's not even explainable.

MU_Iceman
12-20-2012, 09:59 AM

Jamil, Vander and Juan all shoot a higher % from beyond the arc than does Jake. So there were at least two better options on the floor at the time, IF the shot you wanted was a 3 in that situation. Todd Mayo would have been a better option, that's where he is missed.

If they are in the same situation again on Saturday.....well, I won't even know what to say.

mutpm
12-20-2012, 10:40 AM
Are they really inconsistent though? How many times have they really played incredibly well to eventually see them unexpectedly throw out a clunker (my view of inconsistency)? All in all I think they've been rather consistent---a very consistently average team.

That's probably it. This team is nowhere near as good as some here believe they are. I hope Buzz gets the most out of this team during the break.

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
12-20-2012, 10:59 AM

So by that rationale, Rotnei Clarke got a good look at the end of our game against Butler? And the threes that Blue knocked down against Madison were all good looks?

Come on, that was a stupid statement and you know it.

MU_Iceman
12-20-2012, 11:11 AM
So by that rationale, Rotnei Clarke got a good look at the end of our game against Butler? And the threes that Blue knocked down against Madison were all good looks?

Come on, that was a stupid statement and you know it.

My point is...people always talk about so and so had a "good look", like it's some sort of moral victory. A "good look" is worthless if it doesn't go in. So, big deal, he had a "good look". He missed the shot, MU lost. Because he had a "good look" are we all supposed to feel better about it?? :confused:

MUBasketball
12-20-2012, 11:41 AM
My point is...people always talk about so and so had a "good look", like it's some sort of moral victory. A "good look" is worthless if it doesn't go in. So, big deal, he had a "good look". He missed the shot, MU lost. Because he had a "good look" are we all supposed to feel better about it?? :confused:

What you don't understand is, it's sports. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. You're completely incapable of accepting that fact. Is Marquette better than Green Bay? Yes. But last night they weren't.

When a team is down a possession at the end of the game with the shot clock off with possession of the ball...getting a good look is all you can ask for. That's when all those hours of practice come to light. Can the coaches draw up a play and can the players execute it to put themselves in a position to be successful? From that standpoint, it worked. Jake got an excellent look, an open shot from a spot on the floor he has literally shot thousands of balls from over his life. Last night, it didn't fall.

It's really that simple.

bleedbluegold03
12-20-2012, 01:44 PM
Wilson is the better option? Seriously? He contributes nothing on offense. He is a better defensive player than Junior, but when Derrick is on offense, it's like playing four on five.

I know you don't appreciate them as reporters, but they have the stats to back the claim up. I suggest you look in to it.

http://painttouches.com/2012/12/11/a-statistical-breakdown-of-derrick-wilson/

In short, we have more turnovers per minute with Junior on the court, shoot worse as a team when he's on the court, and score less points per shot when he's on the court.

bleedbluegold03
12-20-2012, 01:54 PM
What you don't understand is, it's sports. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. You're completely incapable of accepting that fact. Is Marquette better than Green Bay? Yes. But last night they weren't.

When a team is down a possession at the end of the game with the shot clock off with possession of the ball...getting a good look is all you can ask for. That's when all those hours of practice come to light. Can the coaches draw up a play and can the players execute it to put themselves in a position to be successful? From that standpoint, it worked. Jake got an excellent look, an open shot from a spot on the floor he has literally shot thousands of balls from over his life. Last night, it didn't fall.

It's really that simple.

First I HATE the comment of "they were the better team last night;" this statement, while getting at the idea, is wrong. Marquette is a better team than UWGB 8 out of 7 nights, UWGB PLAYED better last night. Big difference.

From my point of view, Jake should not have taken that shot. Not because of his PT, not because of his performance throughout the game, and not because he's not our "go-to-scorer." He shouldn't have taken that shot because he is shooting 32% from beyond the arc this year. People have this amazing ability to give Jake a lot of slack because he's reported as a good 3 point shooter (I won't argue this, I've seen it in person, I've seen it on Youtube so I hold the fact that in situations he is just that) or because he's the first walk on to get meaningful minutes in a coon's age.

32% from the arc is not a good 3 point shooter. That is why he shouldn't have taken that shot. They GAVE him that shot because he's only made 8 3 pointers all year. If I am Brian Wardle's team, scouting our team so far this year, I am ok if that is what beats us. That is not even on the top 5 things I am looking to stop offensively for Marquette coming out of that time out.

There are players that come in billed as something and perform to something else, Jamail Jones being billed as a great outside threat is the prime example of that. For whatever reason, sometimes it doesn't work. I am not writing the kid off for all time because of his first 10 games with this program but if you can't perform well against cupcakes I am not sure if there will be much PT come conference time and the rotation constricts (especially if Todd is back).

To look at it another way, based on season to date, Trent is shooting 31% from 3, would you have been ok with him shooting that shot?

Nukem2
12-20-2012, 02:25 PM
It was a 1 point game. No need to go for a 3.