PDA

View Full Version : Mayo decision moved back to Thursday or later

milkbone
12-19-2012, 02:21 PM
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/184116051.html

TedBaxter
12-19-2012, 02:26 PM
I'm going to assume that if he is cleared to go, he could see some minutes against LSU Saturday.

Nukem2
12-19-2012, 03:24 PM
Todd is going to be 22 in a few months.........

TheSultan
12-19-2012, 03:28 PM
Todd is going to be 22 in a few months.........

Yeah, I get the impression that if we see him back this year, that this will be his last year here anyway.

mutpm
12-19-2012, 03:38 PM
If he is going to leave at the end of the semester, I'm not sure I want him to come back. If he has no intention of finishing his degree, I think it would be best for him to move on. Bringing a player back for just 1 semester doesn't make sense no matter how many wins it would mean.

lougrant
12-19-2012, 03:57 PM
Yeah, if he only intends to finish out the year, I'd rather pull the plug now, rather than risk upsetting the team dynamics and chemistry.

TheSultan
12-19-2012, 04:11 PM
To be clear, I am not saying that he is intending only to finish the year. I just have my doubts.

KMWTRUCKS
12-19-2012, 04:15 PM
If he leaves in good standing through 2 years I don't have any problem with it. It would be just like a player transfer in good standing. What I don't want is to let him back and then fall out of good standing and leaving before the year is out. I'm sure that is what Buzz's concern is as well.

Nukem2
12-19-2012, 04:20 PM
If he leaves in good standing through 2 years I don't have any problem with it. It would be just like a player transfer in good standing. What I don't want is to let him back and then fall out of good standing and leaving before the year is out. I'm sure that is what Buzz's concern is as well.
Suspect that's what Sultan was alluding to...?

TheSultan
12-19-2012, 08:15 PM
Suspect that's what Sultan was alluding to...?

Yeah. He's 22, obviously not all that into school...I wouldn't be surprised if he leaves for Europe or something.

MUAlphaBangura
12-20-2012, 09:26 AM
Yeah. He's 22, obviously not all that into school...I wouldn't be surprised if he leaves for Europe or something.

That seems logical, but his mom really wants him to get a degree. We'll see who wins out.

Nukem2
12-20-2012, 09:52 AM
Don't know what will happen, but it strikes me odd as to how Buzz has handled this. Obviously Todd is eligible since he practiced on Monday and Tuesday, so Buzz knew he had the grades (irrespective of the final grade-posting time on Tuesday). If the meeting with Todd's Mom is what Buzz wants, why not have it on Monday or Tuesday...? In the meantime, Michael Hunt is re-blogging all the stuff about Todd not being a team guy while the drama lingers on.

kneelb4zerg
12-20-2012, 09:54 AM
Don't know what will happen, but it strikes me odd as to how Buzz has handled this. Obviously Todd is eligible since he practiced on Monday and Tuesday, so Buzz knew he had the grades (irrespective of the final grade-posting time on Tuesday). If the meeting with Todd's Mom is what Buzz wants, why not have it on Monday or Tuesday...? In the meantime, Michael Hunt is re-blogging all the stuff about Todd not being a team guy while the drama lingers on.

Maybe this was the earliest Todd's mom could get here?

Nukem2
12-20-2012, 09:58 AM
Maybe this was the earliest Todd's mom could get here?Could be, though Buzz had plenty of time to schedule this ahead of time....?

kneelb4zerg
12-20-2012, 10:01 AM
Could be, though Buzz had plenty of time to schedule this ahead of time....?

But not until his grades were in, otherwise what would be the point.

Nukem2
12-20-2012, 10:04 AM
But not until his grades were in, otherwise what would be the point.What ever happened to planning ahead...?

kneelb4zerg
12-20-2012, 10:05 AM
What ever happened to planning ahead...?

I'm just playing devil's advocate here, you have a good point, but who knows what's going on behind the scenes.

TheSultan
12-20-2012, 10:07 AM
Nukem, seriously, what's the big deal? Buzz obviously had to wait for the grades to come in, and he wanted to speak to his mom in person. They were in Green Bay from Tuesday until last night. They are meeting today.

Not exactly sure what else you expected.

Nukem2
12-20-2012, 10:18 AM
Nukem, seriously, what's the big deal? Buzz obviously had to wait for the grades to come in, and he wanted to speak to his mom in person. They were in Green Bay from Tuesday until last night. They are meeting today.

Not exactly sure what else you expected.Not trying to make a big deal; but as I noted above, Todd practiced on Monday and was at the team Christmas party on Sunday, so Buzz obviously knew the grades as team officials probably do get a heads-up...? In the end, this whole scenario is weird.

TheSultan
12-20-2012, 10:28 AM
Not trying to make a big deal; but as I noted above, Todd practiced on Monday and was at the team Christmas party on Sunday, so Buzz obviously knew the grades as team officials probably do get a heads-up...? In the end, this whole scenario is weird.

I agreed that scenario is weird, but he practiced because he became eligible from an NCAA point of view. The grades have to do with his eligibility from a Marquette point of view.

Mucrisco
12-20-2012, 11:10 AM
Maybe his mom was the one who requested the meeting with Buzz.

Gato78
12-20-2012, 11:45 AM
And maybe, now that he is NCAA eligible, a transfer decision vs remaining at MU needs to be made. I have no info, just suspicion.

ValiantSailor
12-20-2012, 11:58 AM
I agreed that scenario is weird, but he practiced because he became eligible from an NCAA point of view. The grades have to do with his eligibility from a Marquette point of view.

...or a Buzz point of view!

VS

IWB
12-20-2012, 03:19 PM
And maybe, now that he is NCAA eligible, a transfer decision vs remaining at MU needs to be made. I have no info, just suspicion.

Winner winner chicken dinner.

Nukem2
12-20-2012, 03:26 PM

So is Buzz re-recruiting Todd's Mom...?

TedBaxter
12-20-2012, 03:30 PM
Not saying he stays at Marquette. Just can't see Todd sitting out a year at another school.

TheSultan
12-20-2012, 03:40 PM
So Todd might not want to come back?

Nukem2
12-20-2012, 03:40 PM
Not saying he stays at Marquette. Just can't see Todd sitting out a year at another school.
Especially since he'll be 22 in a few months......

dw3dw3dw3
12-20-2012, 05:25 PM
Wow... could have never imagined that to be the case. Would he be a mid-year transfer not eligible to play somewhere else until 2nd semester of next year or since he hasn't played is he technically not using up eligibility? If he only had to sit out another semester and could go to another school and play at the beginning of next year with 3 full years of eligibility, I could see that as a legitimate option. Sitting out till 2nd semester next year doesn't seem likely.

He would obviously improve the team in the short term, but if Buzz is being completely honest, maybe he doesn't want him here next year if he's that big of distraction. Vander/DG/CO senior year plus the new recruits, having someone on a different page could hamper the development of the team.

Markedman
12-20-2012, 06:39 PM
The only thing doesn't make sense to me is why invite him to the team Christmas party and why let him start practicing with the team again if Buzz isn't sure he wants him back and/or Todd isn't sure he wants to come back?

I would have want decisions from both sides before I let Todd start getting back involved with team.

MU_Iceman
12-20-2012, 06:44 PM
The only thing doesn't make sense to me is why invite him to the team Christmas party and why let him start practicing with the team again if Buzz isn't sure he wants him back and/or Todd isn't sure he wants to come back?

I would have want decisions from both sides before I let Todd start getting back involved with team.

Exactly. Otherwise it just seems to be screwing with everyone's emotions.

Mucrisco
12-20-2012, 07:14 PM
Maybe it's me, but once you are part of a family, you are always part of the family, even if you screw up. A Christmas party is a family thing. We all read about how Buzz develops relationships with his recruits and teaches life lessons, not basketball. Maybe he is discussing with his mom what decision they have to make to help Mayo out for his future. Coming to the Christmas party has nothing to do with basketball. It's being a part of the family. If Mayo has to go somewhere else, that doesn't mean the relationship between Mayo, his coaches, and his teammates have to end.

Markedman
12-20-2012, 07:22 PM
Or Buzz knew he wanted him back if the meeting with Todd and his mom went well?

Post from Dodd's board

Sounds like Todd is back...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Per his Instagram account:

'Learned a lot, just want to be great on and off the court. Thank everyone that was there for me, I'm back in a blue & gold jersey again. #GodFirst #FamilySecond #Loyalty3rd.'