PDA

View Full Version : An example of how goofy TV is for football vs basketball

Markedman
12-17-2012, 03:25 PM
Luke Winn ‏@lukewinn
How depressing. RT @slmandel: Why are there so many bowls? Ratings from Sat: New Mex Bowl (ESPN): 1.9. Butler upsets No. 1 IU (CBS): 1.5.

DCwarrior
12-17-2012, 03:35 PM
Sadly we're a football nation.

It would also help if the best college players stayed in school for 3 or 4 years instead of heading straight to the NBA. Aside from the die-hard hoops fans, the average person just doesn't know many college players because the best ones only stay for a year. There will never again be a dominant 4-year college player like Bird, Ewing, Olawjuwan, Laettner, or Duncan were who the average fan knew about and could drive up TV ratings and overall interest.

CaribouJim
12-17-2012, 04:29 PM
Sadly we're a football nation.

It would also help if the best college players stayed in school for 3 or 4 years instead of heading straight to the NBA. Aside from the die-hard hoops fans, the average person just doesn't know many college players because the best ones only stay for a year. There will never again be a dominant 4-year college player like Bird, Ewing, Olawjuwan, Laettner, or Duncan were who the average fan knew about and could drive up TV ratings and overall interest.

Agree that that is a contributing factor - there are few "brand" names left - I barely remember the Kentucky roster from last year and they won the whole darn thing. Lew Alcindor and Bill Walton were the biggest "brand" names for me growing up. Most that depart for the pros early aren't ready - both in the life skills department and playing skills, but that is a subject for another thread.

Bocephys
12-17-2012, 04:38 PM
Agree that that is a contributing factor - there are few "brand" names left - I barely remember the Kentucky roster from last year and they won the whole darn thing. Lew Alcindor and Bill Walton were the biggest "brand" names for me growing up. Most that depart for the pros early aren't ready - both in the life skills department and playing skills, but that is a subject for another thread.
Do you think anyone could name 3 players from the New Mexico Bowl? I don't think the "brand" matters much.

MU/Panther
12-17-2012, 06:58 PM
Do you think anyone could name 3 players from the New Mexico Bowl? I don't think the "brand" matters much.If you are a college football fan, oh god yes!

MU/Panther
12-17-2012, 07:00 PM
Saturday’s Arizona/Nevada New Mexico Bowl earned a 1.9 overnight rating on ESPN, up 19% from Temple/Wyoming last year (1.6*), and even with UTEP/BYU in 2010 (1.9).

The game topped CBS’ Indiana/Butler college-basketball game head-to-head (1.5) and earned the top non-NFL overnight of the slow sports weekend.

Later in the day, the the Utah State/Toledo Famous Idaho Potato Bowl drew a 1.8 overnight, up a tick from Ohio/Utah State last year (1.7), and even with Northern Illinois/Fresno State in 2010 (1.8).

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
12-17-2012, 07:18 PM
And this is why football drives the bus...

Pipelayer
12-17-2012, 11:11 PM
Lot of people have bowl pools which up ticks attention. One loss in CBB isn't that big of a deal which hurts the regular season ratings.

MU/Panther
12-18-2012, 03:45 PM
College basketball needs tons & tons of home/home with power teams. These power vs cupcake is killing the sports.