PDA

View Full Version : Announcement Wednesday?

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
12-17-2012, 02:49 PM
There are folks saying that there is a possibility that Xavier announces on Wednesday that they are joining the C7 schools. Could just be message board banter but another poster is vouching for the guy who claimed it.

Interesting none the less.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
12-17-2012, 03:02 PM
Link: http://www.musketeermadness.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=13306

dw3dw3dw3
12-17-2012, 03:13 PM
Butler President just posted this non-denial

http://www.indysportslegends.com/2012/12/17/butler-president-danko-issues-statement-conference-rumors/

MUBRACES
12-17-2012, 03:47 PM
sounds like a ringing endorsement of their commitment to the A10....they pretty much all but said they are leaving for the new conference

MUBasketball
12-17-2012, 04:02 PM
I'd be interested to know who's spearheading all of this. Who's extending invitations to other schools? Who's in contact with TV people about securing a contract? I'm sure there is constant communication between the Presidents and AD's of the 7 schools, but I would imagine someone is "out front" and being the spokesperson for the group.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
12-17-2012, 04:09 PM
That's a good point, you'd have to think a commissioner would be announced in short order here. You really need someone to focus on these types of things and getting stuff set up.

WindyCityGoldenEagle
12-17-2012, 04:58 PM
Interesting that the Xavier fans are so pro Dayton. For whatever reason I just think adding a team like Dayton, SLU or Creighton is just too "mid-major." Not saying a I have a better option (although im still holding on to my pipedream of adding memphis, temple, uconn and cincy).

MUBRACES
12-17-2012, 05:06 PM
I personally love creighton as the last team if they don't pursue Gonzaga. For those who don't know creighton and omaha, they have a newly renovated arena that seats as much as the bradley center, the attendance is comparable to marquette....and even though it is nebraska....the city of omaha is quite big and beautiful (similar in size to Milwaukee, but much cleaner)...I personally would love to go watch a game there, especially against MU! And it doesn't hurt that they have been, and most likely will continue to be good.

MU_Iceman
12-17-2012, 05:19 PM
I'd be interested to know who's spearheading all of this. Who's extending invitations to other schools? Who's in contact with TV people about securing a contract? I'm sure there is constant communication between the Presidents and AD's of the 7 schools, but I would imagine someone is "out front" and being the spokesperson for the group.

Well, the SJU President said in an interview on Saturday after the announcement was made that currently, the Georgetown President is their leader. So I'd imagine alot of it is spearheaded by him.

As for who will be the point person on the formation of the new league and any TV deal, Father Harrington said that he envisioned the seven Presidents meeting much more often and the “board would make the decisions.”

He added that Georgetown President Dr. John J. DeGioia “is the co-chair of the Big East Conference.”

“Jack right now is our leader…and he will continue in that role I’m sure, but it will always be the seven of us deciding together,” Father Harrington added.

mufansince72
12-17-2012, 07:41 PM
Butler President just posted this non-denial

http://www.indysportslegends.com/2012/12/17/butler-president-danko-issues-statement-conference-rumors/

Sounds like Butler is ready to sign on the dotted line.

MU/Panther
12-18-2012, 03:47 PM
Interesting that the Xavier fans are so pro Dayton. For whatever reason I just think adding a team like Dayton, SLU or Creighton is just too "mid-major." Not saying a I have a better option (although im still holding on to my pipedream of adding memphis, temple, uconn and cincy). Why is it your pipedream to add football schools?

WindyCityGoldenEagle
12-18-2012, 10:24 PM
It's my pipedream to create the best basktball conference possible while simultaneusly protecting yourself from another conference implosion.

We can always add Creighton, SLU and Dayton if the fball schools leave. Go and get top bball schools like Xav, Butler and memphis, uconn, cincy, temple (let them park their fball in CUSA or wherever and keep them as long as possible with the expectation that they may eventually leave).
-There is no given that they will be invited to the ACC, Big 12, etc
-It would create a much better bball conference for the time they are in the league
-The bball only schools still maintain a controlling majority vote in the league
-If they leave, the conference keeps their tourney credits which means more money for each school in the conference and SLU, Creighton and Dayton will still be waiting there to join

I understand that having departures from a new conference might not be the best move pr wise but I believe the pros outweigh the cons in my opinion.

Notherdude
12-18-2012, 11:45 PM
It's my pipedream to create the best basktball conference possible while simultaneusly protecting yourself from another conference implosion.

We can always add Creighton, SLU and Dayton if the fball schools leave. Go and get top bball schools like Xav, Butler and memphis, uconn, cincy, temple (let them park their fball in CUSA or wherever and keep them as long as possible with the expectation that they may eventually leave).
-It would create a much better bball conference for the time they are in the league
-The bball only schools still maintain a controlling majority vote in the league
-If they leave, the conference keeps their tourney credits which means more money for each school in the conference and SLU, Creighton and Dayton will still be waiting there to join

I understand that having departures from a new conference might not be the best move pr wise but I believe the pros outweigh the cons in my opinion.

100% disagree. No unconn or Cincy or any football teams. Look at mess of be right now. These teams will leave sooner or later and then it's right back to the same situation now trying to figure out who is invited and joins. Way all this realignment is going who knows where c7 league will even be when those schools would decide to leave. Take the best bball schools available now with 12 team league and build on that

unclejohn
12-18-2012, 11:53 PM
100% disagree. No unconn or Cincy or any football teams. Look at mess of be right now. These teams will leave sooner or later and then it's right back to the same situation now trying to figure out who is invited and joins. Way all this realignment is going who knows where c7 league will even be when those schools would decide to leave. Take the best bball schools available now with 12 team league and build on that

+1

Who wants the instability of starting a league and having several charter members looking at the door? And as soon as they leave, you create the impression that your league is second-rate, and that the best teams in it would rather play somewhere else. And I do not know that the teams you are talking about are all that much better, if at all, than the teams they would replace. Memphis lost to SLU in the tournament last year. I do not know where Temple finished in the A-10, but they certainly did not dominate it. SLU, Xavier, and Dayton have been consistently strong in that conference.

IWB
12-19-2012, 07:37 AM
Memphis lost to SLU in the tournament last year. I do not know where Temple finished in the A-10, but they certainly did not dominate it.

UJ - first off, please don't tell me you are trying to compare Memphis and St. Louis? Memphis is a top 20 team every year. SLU is not.

Next, comparing Temple & Dayton - A-10 standings for the last 5 years....

2012 - Temple 1st, St. Louis 2nd, Xavier 3rd, Dayton 6th
2011 - Xavier 1st, Temple 2nd, Dayton 9th, St. Louis 11th
2010 - Temple 1st, Xavier 2nd, St. Louis 4th, Dayton 7th
2009 - Xavier 1st, Dayton T-3rd, Temple T-3rd, St. Louis 9th
2008 - Xavier 1st, Temple, 2nd, Dayton 8th, St. Louis 9th

Temple - 2 firsts, 2 seconds, 1 3rd
Dayton - 1 3rd, 1 6th, 1 7th, 1 8th , 1 9th

TheSultan
12-19-2012, 07:57 AM

This is exactly right. Because of the football money, football schools are going to look out for their football programs first and foremost. We want non-football schools that view this conference as their best option....and not looking to move elsewhere for the sake of their football program.

IWB
12-19-2012, 08:36 AM
The thing is, if they aren't power conference worthy (Big 10, SEC, Big XII, PAC 12, ACC) then the football money should not be as big as the TV money for this conference. So, when you look at a school like Memphis, (don't get me wrong, I don't believe Memphis has a shot in new league) it would be their best interest to split and dedicate to two conferences.

Say the new Big East all sports conference gets a deal worth $3 mil per school. What if Memphis pulled out basketball? What would they get then? $2.5 mil? Then go to New Big East BBall conference and pick up another $1.5 for hoops. Wouldn't that be worth staying committed to both leagues?

TheSultan
12-19-2012, 08:42 AM
The thing is, if they aren't power conference worthy (Big 10, SEC, Big XII, PAC 12, ACC) then the football money should not be as big as the TV money for this conference. So, when you look at a school like Memphis, (don't get me wrong, I don't believe Memphis has a shot in new league) it would be their best interest to split and dedicate to two conferences.

Say the new Big East all sports conference gets a deal worth $3 mil per school. What if Memphis pulled out basketball? What would they get then? $2.5 mil? Then go to New Big East BBall conference and pick up another $1.5 for hoops. Wouldn't that be worth staying committed to both leagues?

I can definitely see why Memphis and Temple want this option, but I just don't see the long-term benefits from the C7 perspective. Hybrid conferences IMO are inherently unstable.

IWB
12-19-2012, 08:44 AM
I agree, just saying that the hybrids are unstable because they get raided by the bigger conferences. No bigger conference is ever going to take Temple of Memphis.

MU/Panther
12-19-2012, 08:48 AM

I understand that having departures from a new conference might not be the best move pr wise but I believe the pros outweigh the cons in my opinion. Conf. USA, Sun Belt, Mt. West have their pride. Your in our league or not. They are not going to take their football, but not basketball.

MU/Panther
12-19-2012, 08:51 AM
Memphis Tigers might be overrated as a hoops team. Head Coach at the Tiger, Josh Pastner is 0-11 versus ranked teams.

Phantom Warrior
12-19-2012, 08:53 AM
That comparison makes me wonder all the more why some Dayton fans are so frickin' arrogant. Pretty mediocre results for a conference generally ranked 7th, 8th, or 9th.

ValiantSailor
12-19-2012, 08:59 AM
I agree, just saying that the hybrids are unstable because they get raided by the bigger conferences. No bigger conference is ever going to take Temple of Memphis.

'Nova plays FCS football. I wonder they make any money, and if Temple and Memphis would consider reclassifying to FCS.

VS

TheSultan
12-19-2012, 09:08 AM
'Nova plays FCS football. I wonder they make any money, and if Temple and Memphis would consider reclassifying to FCS.

VS

I've wondered why most schools don't do that. However it always goes in the other direction. I mean even Idaho, who has been absolutely terrible as a FBS school, and who is going to be left out of a conference next year with the WACs dissolution as a football conference, is going to compete as an FBS independent rather than rejoin the Big Sky. (Which is where they are parking their non-football sports by the way.)

Is it money? Is it pride? I don't understand these decisions frankly.

WindyCityGoldenEagle
12-19-2012, 09:15 AM
As I said guys, it's definitely a pipedream and by no means do I think there is really even a chance that it will happen. I think we will end up with a 12 team conference with xav, but, day, slu, Creighton/vcu. That being said, I do wonder if the decision makers did ever want to pursue my pipedream---we will probably never find out as they will obviously stick to the script that whatever teams join the new conference were their first choices (similar to a coaching search).

UJ--I hear you from the pr standpoint and that's what I was trying to say in my post----definiitley not good for a conference to get off to a start where teams are bailing in the first few years but I believe the pros outweigh this con (which would primarily be public relations based). However, please don't try and compare Dayton and Memphis....from a national bball perspective there is a distinct difference between the two and using one game in the tournament last year as your basis is just flawed logic.

MU/Panther
12-19-2012, 12:21 PM
If the league can get more money by 10 schools, it will be 10. If the league can get more money with 12, it will be 12.

unclejohn
12-19-2012, 12:45 PM
As I said guys, it's definitely a pipedream and by no means do I think there is really even a chance that it will happen. I think we will end up with a 12 team conference with xav, but, day, slu, Creighton/vcu. That being said, I do wonder if the decision makers did ever want to pursue my pipedream---we will probably never find out as they will obviously stick to the script that whatever teams join the new conference were their first choices (similar to a coaching search).

UJ--I hear you from the pr standpoint and that's what I was trying to say in my post----definiitley not good for a conference to get off to a start where teams are bailing in the first few years but I believe the pros outweigh this con (which would primarily be public relations based). However, please don't try and compare Dayton and Memphis....from a national bball perspective there is a distinct difference between the two and using one game in the tournament last year as your basis is just flawed logic.

I am not so sure. The fact is, SLU showed it could compete under Majerus. It took Rick several years to get there, and it is hard to say what will happen now that he is gone, but SLU can succeed. Keep in mind also that they were in the same conference with Memphis twice and held their own.

Regarding Temple, for which IWB takes me to task, it depends on who you are comparing them to. Yes, they have done better than SLU in the A-10. But I do not know that there is much difference between them finishing first and Dayton finishing second in a given year. And five years is not the long term. If you go back about twenty, Xavier and Dayton have been competitive with Temple, and SLU has had some quality seasons. You have to look that long-term in evaluating teams. Our brief sojourn in the Big East lasted seven years. The stop-gap C-USA lasted ten, I think.

Programs go up and down. Before Calipari got to Memphis, they were nothing special. They went through a dry spell. Over the long term, they have had a difficult time succeeding without cheating. They have made the Final Four three times, and had to give two of them back. I am not sure that they are a much stronger program than SLU.

Some years ago when we were still back in C-USA, there was some discussion of where we would go from there. Nobody was looking at the Big East at the time. I suggested on another board that if a new conference was formed, Xavier and Cincinnati were about a wash. Somebody responded that I was crazy. After all, Huggins was in his hey day at UC. Then he got fired, and Cinci stunk for several years. And Xavier was winning consistently and sometimes getting top four seeds in the Dance. Right now, I would argue that Xavier has the better basketball program. Over the long term, things go up and down.

Another factor that goes into this is the values and approaches of the schools involved. I think too much is made of the Catholic affiliation of the schools, as I doubt the players care that much, but the fact that they are all private religiously-based institutions makes a difference. It suggests that there can be some agreement about requiring players to get educated, which is not always the case in public universities, and has not proven to be the case at Memphis. This is why I have some reservations about including VCU. I think there are different forces influencing things at private and state universities. Larry made the point a couple of times in his press conference Saturday. The schools involved are all committed to playing basketball on a high level. Where they are right now is not necessarily the point. These are schools that are going to prioritize basketball. I do not know that any football school is going to do that.

RudyFlyer
12-19-2012, 12:51 PM
If the league can get more money by 10 schools, it will be 10. If the league can get more money with 12, it will be 12.

Something the Dayton boards haven't touched upon that much is how the other sports factor in, ie - baseball, soccer, women's hoops and volleyball. If it's 10 teams, how would it work for the Papal X baseball league, will it be only 6-7 teams? Curious on everyone's thoughts here.

Many Dayton fans feel strongly it's not just about hoops here. While our performance has been underwhelming we continue to thrive in other sports (Women's Hoops and Volleyball both Top 25 programs).

TheSultan
12-19-2012, 12:53 PM
Something the Dayton boards haven't touched upon that much is how the other sports factor in, ie - baseball, women's hoops and volleyball. If it's 10 teams, how would it work for the Papal X baseball league, will it be only 6-7 teams? Curious on everyone's thoughts here.

Many Dayton fans feel strongly it's not just about hoops here. While our performance has been underwhelming we continue to thrive in other sports (Women's Hoops and Volleyball both Top 25 programs).

It has to be primarily about men's basketball. All the other sports are nice, but they don't pay the bills.

TedBaxter
12-19-2012, 12:54 PM
I do think the conference needs another solid volleyball program like Dayton's or MU will lose their coach.