PDA

View Full Version : The Gonzaga Issue

Phantom Warrior
12-16-2012, 09:40 AM
Many seem opposed to adding the Zags for the obvious reasons of time and distance.

The response to that is simple - money.

From Gonzaga's perspective, joining this new conference will obviously be a major boon to their financial well-being due to a much better t.v. deal and much better situation with respect to NCAA Tournament credits. The gain in these two areas will more than cover the expenses of sending their athletes to various contests.

It also adds status to Gonzaga's program, which should help recruiting, attendance, and donors' contributions.

From the other teams' point of view, if a network is willing to fork out additional bucks each year because Gonzaga raises the value of the conference, then that's a plus, and so is the fact that Gonzaga is likely to make the Tournament on a regular basis, again meaning more income.

Would this be enough to cover the cost of sending a school's athletic teams out West once a year? Most likely yes. Don't forget, half of the games against Gonzaga in any sport would be home games.

Almost as important would be the increase in status of the league itself, a factor which can not be immediately measured in dollars. The better the reputation of the league, from a purely basketball standpoint, the better it is for each institution, both in the short term and the long term.

In short, this is a no-brainer, especially from the Zags' point of view.

A league with the so-called C-7, Xavier, Butler, and Gonzaga is better than than one with either Dayton or St. Louis. Down the road, add Creighton and one other team, or just add Creighton. But Gonzaga? Absolutely!

MUAlphaBangura
12-16-2012, 10:13 AM
Agree Phantom. Like you said, there may be a well to do alum (possibly several) that is willing to pony up if the commitment is made by the program to improve its' basketball brand and secure its' place in this crazy environment. Ultimately, if Gonzaga is offered a spot in our conference, they have to find the value in that move when considering everything from travel costs, to tv revenue, to time zone changes, etc. IMO, this move is a no brainer for our conference and for Gonzaga. I hope it plays out.

kneelb4zerg
12-16-2012, 10:16 AM
I don't see any reason why it can't be for basketball only, leaving the non revenue sports in the WCC or another conference.

MUBasketball
12-16-2012, 10:21 AM
I don't see any reason why it can't be for basketball only, leaving the non revenue sports in the WCC or another conference.

I highly doubt the WCC would allow that.

The WCC obviously can't afford to lose Gonzaga basketball, and they realize that by taking a hard stance, Gonzaga might be out of luck (I still see no way they send non-revenue sports to the opposite coast for games).

kneelb4zerg
12-16-2012, 10:23 AM
Well they can move non rev into another conference then. Ultimately, in the Zags want it to happen, the WCC is SOL. They can't stop it from happening

TheSultan
12-16-2012, 10:30 AM
No partial members. All or nothing. Again, this is the stuff that got the BE in trouble.

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
12-16-2012, 10:32 AM
I highly doubt the WCC would allow that.

The WCC obviously can't afford to lose Gonzaga basketball, and they realize that by taking a hard stance, Gonzaga might be out of luck (I still see no way they send non-revenue sports to the opposite coast for games).

Then park their other sports in the Big Sky. Gonzaga has history with the Big Sky and would be beneficial to their non-revenue level of competition.

TheSultan
12-16-2012, 10:37 AM
Why would the Big Sky allow this? Another mouth to feed with no revenue to show for it.

kneelb4zerg
12-16-2012, 10:40 AM
Why would the Big Sky allow this? Another mouth to feed with no revenue to show for it.

Maybe in exchange for some H/H arrangements in the non-conference schedule?

MUBasketball
12-16-2012, 11:06 AM

Exactly right.

Phantom Warrior
12-16-2012, 11:20 AM
People are blowing the travel thing way out of proportion.

Had we remained in the BE, we'd have had to travel to Florida, Texas, and Louisiana. Heck, our minor sports teams have been going to Florida (1,500 miles) for eight years.

Besides, there are creative ways to minimize both the amount of travel and cost.

For example, let's say one year in the fall our men's and women's soccer teams, our women's volleyball team, our cross country team, and our men's golf team schedule the Zags on the same date - maybe different times. All of those teams fly out there together - one trip. The next year the Zags come to Milwaukee in the fall, and then the process is repeated the next two years.

That same first year, MU's men's and women's basketball teams host the Zags on the same day, so their teams travel to Milwaukee together. Vice versa the next year.

I think tennis and track and field are in the spring, so they travel together to Gonzaga one year and then host the Zags the next.

Since Gonzaga doesn't sponsor lacrosse, and we don't have baseball, that would be it. One year, we have our teams fly to Spokane once, the next year twice. Big deal.

TedBaxter
12-16-2012, 11:30 AM
Article on Saint Louis. Note the travel concerns Rick Majerus had with the A-10.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/columns/joe-strauss/strauss-big-east-s-collapse-is-big-test-for-slu/article_32f53896-aa47-5f81-a487-0a35d18240f3.html

Not saying I want Saint Louis, but I don't want Gonzaga.

JohnnyRev
12-16-2012, 11:33 AM
Good suggestions, Phantom, but for student athletes, any trip that requires multiple airplanes (there are no direct flights) and almost a whole day of travel each way for the sports without charter flights is very costly in terms of missed classes and study time. If we are serious about STUDENT athletes, we will minimize meet travel times by geographical proximity as much as possible.

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
12-16-2012, 11:51 AM
Good suggestions, Phantom, but for student athletes, any trip that requires multiple airplanes (there are no direct flights) and almost a whole day of travel each way for the sports without charter flights is very costly in terms of missed classes and study time. If we are serious about STUDENT athletes, we will minimize meet travel times by geographical proximity as much as possible.

Which is exactly why Gonzaga should be given the choice. Because any of our sports (or any other C7 team) teams can deal with that once a year or once every other year. This wouldn't be a regular occurrence for us. If Gonzaga can work it for their programs, let them in. Put it on them. If Gonzaga wants in, if Gonzaga can manage it, why on earth wouldn't we want them. Because our sports would have to adjust once a year? That's no reason not to give them the option to come in.

Phantom Warrior
12-16-2012, 12:16 PM
Johnny Rev,

With the added revenue Gonzaga would put in the league's coffers, MU could afford to hire a charter to Spokane once a year in even years and twice a year in odd years.

MUAlphaBangura
12-16-2012, 12:39 PM
Which is exactly why Gonzaga should be given the choice. Because any of our sports (or any other C7 team) teams can deal with that once a year or once every other year. This wouldn't be a regular occurrence for us. If Gonzaga can work it for their programs, let them in. Put it on them. If Gonzaga wants in, if Gonzaga can manage it, why on earth wouldn't we want them. Because our sports would have to adjust once a year? That's no reason not to give them the option to come in.

Brew, I've said this a bunch of times already. If asked, this is all on Gonzaga. If they think it is of value to them, they will pull the trigger. This is NO issue to Marquette at all.

ValiantSailor
12-16-2012, 01:34 PM
Why Gonzaga? Because they're Catholic? Do we want or need a "Catholic" conference?

Unless you answer "yes" to the last question, there is no justification for Gonzaga versus several other schools, all of which are closer (like VCU, Memphis, Creighton, etc).

Personally, I hope the perception of a "Catholic Conference" is put to rest by including at least two non-Catholic schools to fill out our 10-member conference.

VS

Phantom Warrior
12-16-2012, 01:42 PM
For me it has nothing to do with Gonzaga being Catholic. It has to do with quality of the basketball program.

MU_Iceman
12-16-2012, 03:31 PM
For me it has nothing to do with Gonzaga being Catholic. It has to do with quality of the basketball program.

This is it exactly! The C7 made this break and now they have to be sure they do this right, or they will be looked at as completely foolish. It is absolutely IMPERATIVE that they take the BEST schools(based on quality of Men's BB), period. There is no "BB only" school out there, that is of higher quality then Gonzaga. That is an absolute no brainer. Who cares about travel costs?? It's irrelevant. Suck it up and do it. MU went to Hawaii this year, I think they can handle Spokane every other year.

I will 100000% guarantee you, when it comes time to talk to network execs about a TV deal, they will pay much more for a Gonzaga in the conference then a Dayton or SLU. Who would the average college BB fan rather watch?? MU vs. Gonzaga(two nationally known, respected programs), or MU vs. SLU?? That's one of the easiest questions their could ever be to answer.

Markedman
12-16-2012, 03:37 PM
Sure Gonzaga is better then SLU but not sure that moves the needle. I doubt there is much difference at all in TV money with adding Gonzaga vs SLU.

kneelb4zerg
12-16-2012, 04:34 PM
Sure Gonzaga is better then SLU but not sure that moves the needle. I doubt there is much difference at all in TV money with adding Gonzaga vs SLU.

I seriously doubt this. Even if it doesn't move the needle in terms of tv money, Gonzaga over SLU is a no brainer in terms of prestige, NCAA credits, ..

Nukem2
12-16-2012, 04:38 PM
I guess another issue with Gonzaga is the Mark Few situation. We're he to leave would the Zags become Loyola...?

Markedman
12-16-2012, 04:39 PM
Hey I'm good with Gonzaga if that is the way they want to go but I just don't think they will do it. MUTPM has a good post on the premium board about the problems it would present for the easterrn schools...

I guess we will see how it plays out.....

This is what he wrote.

can't see how Gonzaga can be in this conference. Assume any of the east coast schools play a weeknight game in Spokane. The game starts at 10pm eastern and ends at midnight. They start their 5 hour flight back at 2am eastern and get in at 7am eastern. Little to no chance these student athletes can be functional in their morning classes.

Currently, the worst case scenario for MU is getting back to Milwaukee at 2am. It's not ideal, but the student athletes can make an 8 or 9am.

2012Warrior
12-16-2012, 05:07 PM
I agree with those that want Gonzaga from a basketball point of view. The only reason I wouldn't want them is if the logistics nightmare is too great. However, from a strictly basketball sense, adding them to MU, Georgetown, and Xavier would greatly enhance the profile of the league. I think if the logistics are able to work and they can be a full member, I'm all for them.

ValiantSailor
12-16-2012, 05:14 PM

I'll be very interested in your supporting facts. For example, a comparison with Memphis would be valuable. (And i realize Memphis has football, but considering the arguments that Gonzaga could park their non-BB programs elsewhere, that same argument could apply to Memphis FB.)

VS

MUBasketball
12-16-2012, 08:05 PM
I'll be very interested in your supporting facts. For example, a comparison with Memphis would be valuable. (And i realize Memphis has football, but considering the arguments that Gonzaga could park their non-BB programs elsewhere, that same argument could apply to Memphis FB.)

VS

Oops, I just mentioned Memphis in another thread and hadn't seen this. I think Memphis should be target #1 (assuming Xavier and Butler are on board). Perhaps they don't want to break up their football into another conference, but having their hoops program in this new conference would really solidify it's credibility right away.