PDA

View Full Version : Back to the Cell?

Jimmy Lemke
12-15-2012, 05:24 PM
Sources have confirmed to PantherU that the Horizon League is unlikely to renew the facility waiver for the Milwaukee Panthers to play men's basketball in the Klotsche Center following this year.

Speaking under the condition of anonymity, one source told PantherU that the conference granted the waiver on the condition that plans move forward to secure a new on-campus arena for men's basketball. With recent comments made by athletic director that the new arena has been moved to the back-burner, the Horizon League brass' stance has changed and they would prefer one of their flagship programs to be playing in a better facility than the Klotsche Center, which is "an adequate D-III arena but does not fit Division I by any stretch of the imagination."

The Horizon League has a bylaw in place that does not allow any conference member to play in a facility under 5,000. The bylaw was put in place after Milwaukee left the Klotsche Center for the U.S. Cellular Arena in 2003. Milwaukee's move back to the Klotsche Center was billed as a cost-cutting measure that would help the program as it prepared to build a brand new facility or renovate the Klotsche Center into an adequate home for its program.

The Panthers were granted the waiver in June, shortly after Geiger's arrival on campus. Geiger himself reported to the university that he would be stepping down from the athletic director's chair earlier than the planned summer 2013 end date, so he could focus on fundraising and assisting the new athletic director search and hire as well as supporting the new AD.

Milwaukee reportedly lost between 800 and 1,000 season-ticket holders this season, although how many of those lost due to the move to Klotsche Center may never be known. Heading into the 2011-12 season, Milwaukee had home games with Butler and Wisconsin on the schedule, as well as the fact that the team was coming off a Horizon League Championship.

Jimmy Lemke
12-15-2012, 05:24 PM
I should note that if I were Athletic Director, the first thing on my list would be to secure the U.S. Cellular Arena under university ownership through action of state legislature.

uwmpantherboy
12-15-2012, 06:30 PM
Sorry Jimmy....I didn't scroll down far enough. I totally agree. So far, the move back to the KC has done nothing to really increase student attendance. I"m tired of listening to the few season ticket holders we have left bitch about the KC. I understand the reasons for the move, and I'm trying to make the best of it....but so far....it just sucks. I hate the Coming Home intro......it just adds more pain to the frickin' move.

Jimmy Lemke
12-16-2012, 09:14 AM
It was an obvious choice, although we should be clear that the Cell - where we spent the past 9 season, 6 in the 90's, most of the 70s - is just as much of a "home" as the Klotsche Center.

It wasn't that long ago that I was the champion of an on-campus arena. That likely will not happen, but even so I've seen what the move has done to us - a lot of it can be attributed to the lack of BU/UW and the season we're coming off of, but the truth is I think we lost a significant number due to the move.

A lot of the problem for students was that they didn't like waiting for the bus in the cold after games. If we took ownership of the Cell, we'd be able to do something better than just throw them out. Maybe a post-game party with food, etc. while they wait.

MU/Panther
12-16-2012, 01:27 PM
I wonder what the rent will be in 2013-14 season back at the Cell.

Spirit of Bruce
12-16-2012, 04:19 PM
With a small amount of luck, perhaps we will be making money off the Cell in 2013-2014.

MayorCK
12-16-2012, 04:58 PM
Bud Haidet in a December 13, 1996 JS article on moving back to the Klotsche: "Klotsche was built for participation and physical education. Not for athletics." Also added regarding the Cell: "Plus, there's a recruiting angle. That's still a pretty impressive facility to show a recruit." Still true in 2012..

lutzow10
12-17-2012, 01:02 AM
I honestly think they should find out a way to convince the state that transferring ownership of the building to the university would be more beneficial. The way it is now it is just taking money from one state institution and transferring it to another. If we were the owners we could rent the space out. Or maybe we can become partial owners and the WCD could still be in charge of renting it out to others. I don't understand how a state institution renting fron another state instituiton makes any sense. There has to be a way to fix the rental issue.

Jimmy Lemke
12-17-2012, 12:51 PM
Mayor and I are working on that as we speak. State congress doesn't reconvene until January, so we're organizing ourselves and getting ready.

Kyle Rawling
12-19-2012, 09:45 PM
What happened to the revenue from the student fees? If nothing about the WCD has changed, I'd rather revamp the K a la Gentile then go back. Disney. On. Ice.

MayorCK
12-19-2012, 11:27 PM
Our program will never be taken seriously at the Klotsche. Not by any Division 1 conference, opponent, media, or recruit. No matter how much you polish a piece of crap, it's still a piece of crap. Let's admit the idea failed and move on, and while doing so, eliminate WCD from the equation. We won't have to worry about Disney on Ice when our people are scheduling Disney on Ice.

Jimmy Lemke
12-21-2012, 12:03 AM
I can't share certain people's opinions of the Klotsche because they've asked me not to. But I will say that certain people, high in the university and athletics program, feel like the move to the Klotsche was a mistake, that it's killing recruiting, that guys don't want to play there.

lutzow10
12-21-2012, 01:08 AM
Have people within the Athletic department even thought about getting the rights to the Cell from the WCD? Like actually talked about the possibility of talking to the state about it. Not necessarily recently but in the past has it been thought about or pursued? And if so to what extent?

MU/Panther
12-21-2012, 11:07 AM
So, what does the current AD think about playing at the KC?

What are the odds that the Panthers will be back at the Cell in the 2013-14 season?

uwmpantherboy
12-28-2012, 09:11 PM
Perhaps a high speed rail link or a trolley route from UWM to the Cell would be best to move students back and forth to Panther game. Come on Black and Gold!! Lets get a win tomorrow!!!

Jimmy Lemke
03-28-2013, 11:38 AM
The Horizon League is willing to renew the waiver that allows the Panthers to play at the Klotsche Center. What does that tell you?

MU/Panther
04-10-2013, 09:08 AM
With Amanda Braun not starting untill May 1st, if the Panthers move back to the Cell, I think that news will come out in early June. What do people think the odds are that the Panthers are moving back to the Cell for the 2013-14 season. My guess is 60/40 to move back to the Cell.

Jimmy Lemke
04-10-2013, 11:00 AM
With Amanda Braun not starting untill May 1st, if the Panthers move back to the Cell, I think that news will come out in early June. What do people think the odds are that the Panthers are moving back to the Cell for the 2013-14 season. My guess is 60/40 to move back to the Cell.

Knowing who she has talked to and how heavily they're laying into her that the Cell is better, I'm going to guess 80/20 we'll be back at the Cell.

MU/Panther
04-10-2013, 11:13 AM
Knowing who she has talked to and how heavily they're laying into her that the Cell is better, I'm going to guess 80/20 we'll be back at the Cell. I like your odds better!

Who has talked to her and heavily layed into to her about going back to the Cell? I hope it's Lovell and the coaching staff.

Jimmy Lemke
04-10-2013, 11:28 AM
From what Amanda told me, quite a lot of people have been talking to her, and she told me "it's clear it is a hot button issue."

One person told me that Geiger said he believes we haven't given the Klotsche enough of a chance, but that's hogwash - we were in the Klotsche for five years from 98-2003. We know what's better.

I know that our coaching staff has always maintained that they feel a practice facility and playing in the Cell are much more important than playing in a renovated Klotsche and practicing there.

What I think is that if Bruce never pushed for the Pavilion addition to include razing and rebuilding the Klotsche Arena, and he put a lot of weight into moving downtown, then we know where Bruce Pearl stood on the issue as well. That's two coaches who should have their opinions taken into account.

MayorCK
04-10-2013, 11:31 AM
Geiger's opinion should be worth less than the Bolton Bum's at this point...

Jimmy Lemke
04-10-2013, 11:41 AM
Geiger's opinion should be worth less than the Bolton Bum's at this point...

From what I heard - now this is a tertiary source, so take it as possibly distorted and nothing to report - Amanda Braun had specifically told Lovell that she would only report to him and VC Laliberte, that Andy Geiger would have no hand in the running of athletics once she took the job.

MU/Panther
04-10-2013, 11:44 AM
From what I heard - now this is a tertiary source, so take it as possibly distorted and nothing to report - Amanda Braun had specifically told Lovell that she would only report to him and VC Laliberte, that Andy Geiger would have no hand in the running of athletics once she took the job. I think Geiger said something to that in the press conference.

OregonWiAlum
04-14-2013, 12:52 PM
Don't want to get hopes to high, but a bird inside the U S Cell said the new AD toured the Arena yesterday.

MU/Panther
04-14-2013, 03:46 PM
Don't want to get hopes to high, but a bird inside the U S Cell said the new AD toured the Arena yesterday. Does she work weekends in Milwaukee, untill she starts May 1st.

Jimmy Lemke
04-14-2013, 04:21 PM
I have heard as recently as last week that we were 80 percent sure to go back to the Cell.

MU/Panther
04-15-2013, 08:44 AM
I have heard as recently as last week that we were 80 percent sure to go back to the Cell. I hope the 80% who are saying this have a say in the matter.

I was at a party this past Saturday night, with some Panther season-ticket holders. Going into the season last season they were positive about playing at the KC. They have now changed their mind and the need is to go back to the Cell.

Jimmy Lemke
04-15-2013, 11:51 AM
I mean, I was one of the people railing for an on-campus arena. When we moved to the KC, I said it was OK if we made sure it was a temporary thing - I wanted to see something concrete on the way by the end of the season. There's nothing, so let's go back. I'm not going to sit around and wait for something to happen. Life is happening NOW.

MU/Panther
04-17-2013, 01:15 PM
I hope the school doesn't feel like they will have egg on it's face moving back to the Cell after one season at the KC. The real PR nightmare will be to keep on playing at the KC.

Jimmy Lemke
04-17-2013, 03:35 PM
I hope the school doesn't feel like they will have egg on it's face moving back to the Cell after one season at the KC. The real PR nightmare will be to keep on playing at the KC.

By representing it as Andy Geiger's decision, we don't need to feel that way. Amanda Braun wasn't here before.

MU/Panther
04-17-2013, 05:45 PM
By representing it as Andy Geiger's decision, we don't need to feel that way. Amanda Braun wasn't here before.

I wouldn't use anybody's name for the mistake in public.

If anything does need to be said, I would keep it simple and say we gave it a try to play men's basketball on campus, but most want it to return at the US Cellular Arena. Our goal is still to get our student body at the games in downtown Milwaukee. Our goal is still to play on campus in a new building one day and we are working on that goal.

Jimmy Lemke
04-17-2013, 05:54 PM
You had me until the last sentence. I'd leave it at a "long term commitment" to the Arena.

MU/Panther
04-17-2013, 07:45 PM
Ok, we'll leave the last sentence out.

OregonWiAlum
04-17-2013, 07:58 PM
As much as I would like to agree with Jimmy on this, I just got back from UWM's Advocacy Day at the state capital. I was talking to a legislative aid (who is a UWM Alum) and when I told him everyone wants to get back to the Cell, he seemed a little surprised, because he believes the talk is to tear down the WCD to either expand for a new arena or an expansion of the convention center. So even if UWM does manage to get back to the Cell, who knows how long it would be for. I think eventually we will have to build on campus. I mentioned that maybe UWM should just buy the Cell, and he liked the idea, but I don't know if it will go anywhere. I wish I could have discussed this a little more with him, but too many conversations started going at once.

Jimmy Lemke
04-17-2013, 10:17 PM
I was sorry that I couldn't make it to the Advocacy Day this year. I got to do it the year I was a student intern at the UWMAA and I enjoyed myself immensely.

As for the Arena...

First off, I don't think the Cell is going to be torn down. It may be large enough to put the current Bradley Center on its footprint (barely), but a new arena is going to need to be 750,000 square feet, not 500,000, and that is far too large for the Cell's block.

Second, the Delta Center could practically double in space without taking the Cell. There are surface lots to the north and south of the Delta Center that should be used first (seriously, what use do surface lots have in a downtown area?).

What we have to keep in mind is that a full on-campus arena is going to cost a lot of money, and it's going to take a lot of time to get it set up. The Cell is a viable option this season, and the university can either make it a temporary or permanent home. With an on-campus arena, there is no going back downtown. At the Cell, we can always springboard to an on-campus arena.

MU/Panther
04-20-2013, 11:53 AM
I see no reason why or should the MECCA/Milwaukee Arena/US Cell be torn down.

lutzow10
06-09-2013, 04:03 PM
Any news on negotiations?

Jimmy Lemke
06-10-2013, 12:19 AM
I see no reason why or should the MECCA/Milwaukee Arena/US Cell be torn down.

Cost? It costs money to tear down a building of that size.

MU/Panther
06-10-2013, 10:24 AM
Cost? It costs money to tear down a building of that size. That's what I mean, no real reason.

MU/Panther
06-10-2013, 10:26 AM
Any news on negotiations? It was June 26st when the news broke last year about the KC. So, I guess there is time.

MU/Panther
06-15-2013, 07:00 AM
It was June 26st when the news broke last year about the KC. So, I guess there is time. In past years, season ticket holders got letters in the mail at the end of May for renewing season tickets. We didn't get anything last year, untill after the move to the KC on June 26st.

So, I'm thinking the odds are pretty good about going back to the Cell. I pray that we hear something soon.

Jimmy Lemke
06-16-2013, 02:56 PM
It's an ongoing process. As soon as anyone of consequence in the university knows, I'll know.

MU/Panther
07-01-2013, 12:38 PM
Amanda Braun will be on TWC SC at 6pm. (Monday, July 1st).

lutzow10
07-01-2013, 11:00 PM
What did she say. I have been doing yardwork all day

MU/Panther
07-02-2013, 08:51 AM
What did she say. I have been doing yardwork all day I think the show was taped June 18th.
Looking at playing back downtown for this season has been on her plate since day 1. She said many factors come in to play, keeping our students going to games. Keeping our fan base going to games. What works better to help the team in recruiting. Final thing on that topic was, "we should be done with this very soon".

How is being a women AD, was talked about. Her time spent at Northeastern.

Her time spent at Green Bay and how in that time she looked at Milwaukee.

No football. Let's work in what we have now to get better. Track field. Baseball field. Men's/Women's Practice building.

How she will grade her coaches in how they are doing. It's not all about wins. It's grades and what is given to the coaches to help them win.

MU/Panther
07-10-2013, 03:11 PM
I'm hearing going back to the Cell for this season will happen! They are having problems with the final details of the deal. Something has to come out soon since it's July 10th. It sounds like they might do an open house at the Cell.

royalty414
07-11-2013, 10:06 PM
Best news and only news I've been waiting to hear this summer

Jimmy Lemke
07-12-2013, 02:39 PM
I have been hearing the negotiations are getting closer, but there's no final deal imminent. Discussions will continue, a deal could be struck within the next week.

Jimmy Lemke
07-15-2013, 10:52 AM
Dropping this out of premium and into the unpaid section because WE'RE GOING BACK BABY!

Tyrunner0097
07-15-2013, 11:57 AM
AWESOME! Now we just need to work on getting as many students to take the ride out there as possible!

Any chance of making the student section officially become the Cell Block there now?

Jimmy Lemke
07-15-2013, 12:00 PM
AWESOME! Now we just need to work on getting as many students to take the ride out there as possible!

Any chance of making the student section officially become the Cell Block there now?

US Cellular protested calling it the Cell Block. Because screw US Cellular.

MayorCK
07-15-2013, 12:10 PM
What a great day to be a Panther! Although I was taking an ill-timed nap when the news first broke...

MU/Panther
07-15-2013, 02:24 PM
This is quote struck me.

"The Wisconsin Center District was very much on-board with considering ways to assist us in making our games more accessible to all. Lower ticket fees and increased promotional opportunities will have a tangible positive impact for us."

MU/Panther
07-15-2013, 02:37 PM
Under the terms of the deal, the rental fee will be $14,000 a game, which is estimated to be 17% less than the previous agreement. The rent increases 3% a year.

The new facility fee is $1.50 per ticket. The fee in the last agreement ranged from $2 to $3.

Jimmy Lemke
07-16-2013, 05:00 PM
It's a big deal

CoachC
07-16-2013, 05:37 PM
I know that we didn't save a whole lot more with this new deal but I would rather take the loss in exchange for playing in a D1 facility. Does anyone know the actual number of season ticket holders from last year compared to 2011-12?

MU/Panther
07-16-2013, 09:19 PM
1600 to about 900 last season.

Goose85
07-17-2013, 10:09 AM
Under the terms of the deal, the rental fee will be $14,000 a game, which is estimated to be 17% less than the previous agreement. The rent increases 3% a year.

The new facility fee is $1.50 per ticket. The fee in the last agreement ranged from $2 to $3.

Milwaukee gives students tickets for free I believe. Does Milwaukee then actually pay $1.50 for students to come to the game by way of per ticket facility fee?

Jimmy Lemke
07-17-2013, 04:15 PM
Milwaukee gives students tickets for free I believe. Does Milwaukee then actually pay $1.50 for students to come to the game by way of per ticket facility fee?

They did befoore. I don't know about in the new deal, although it didn't sound like it when I talked to someone.

MU/Panther
07-17-2013, 08:28 PM
The students crowd had to hit a number, I forgot if it was over 500 or 1000, untill they had to pay a student fee.