PDA

View Full Version : Nate Silver weighs in

kneelb4zerg
12-14-2012, 03:52 PM
http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/12/14/a-smart-breakaway-for-big-east-basketball-schools/?smid=tw-nytimessports&seid=auto

TulsaWarrior
12-14-2012, 03:55 PM
You beat me to it. Nate Silver does "Money Ball" with the proposed new basketball league. He made the most sense of the whole business. This is a winning formula.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
12-14-2012, 04:17 PM
Based off those numbers the new conference would compare VERY favorably to the other major conferences. Now I don't know what goes into calculating that number and if its really a good judgement, but based off of that if they went to a 10 team league with Butler, Xavier and Creighton we would be at 81.59 which puts us just behind the B12 and ahead of the SEC and P12...

TulsaWarrior
12-14-2012, 05:44 PM
Nate Silver does numbers better than any cruncher in the country

IrwinFletcher
12-14-2012, 05:50 PM
Nate Silver does numbers better than any cruncher in the country

Actually, you would have to say Jeff Sagarin would bo it the best. After all, Silver USES Sagarin's numbers for his story. I would also have liked to see him put the numbers of possible additions in with the c7 to see how it stacks up.

warriorfan4life
12-14-2012, 06:24 PM
This was a quick and dry way to look at things, but it backs up my hypothesis that this new league should annually fall in the 3-6 range in conference rankings. Also, I think Johnnies and PC should start outperforming their previous rankings thanks to the recruiting efforts of Lavin and Cooley. This league is a perfect chance for Marquette to still play excellent competition, but also realistically compete for conference titles every year (and the corresponding top seeds that come with that).