PDA

View Full Version : I'm going to scream...

MUBasketball
12-14-2012, 01:57 PM
Maybe I'm alone on this...but I am beyond annoyed with this "Catholic 7" reference that keeps getting thrown around. This is an athletic conference we are talking about, I dont think "Catholic" should have anything to do with it, nor brought up in discussion.

For example, on the ESPN bottom line last night it was "7 Big East Catholic non-football programs...". What does the fact that the programs are Catholic have to do with anything? It should simply say that the "7 Big East non-football programs...".

Am I overreacting? Probably. But perception is everything, especially when branching off and forming a whole new conference. Being pigeon holed as a little Catholic joint venture makes it seem like a small-time operation to me. Am I alone in my thinking?

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
12-14-2012, 02:00 PM
This is exactly why in a perfect world I'd like to see us add Xavier, Gonzaga, and St. Louis simply based off quality and commitment to the sport, and also add Butler and VCU so the conference is no longer all-Catholic or even all-Private.

The C7 is an easy mnemonic to use, but I do think in the long run we want to get away from that perception.

Markedman
12-14-2012, 02:02 PM
I think you are overreacting.....

Bocephys
12-14-2012, 02:22 PM
Definitely overreacting

MUBasketball
12-14-2012, 02:52 PM
Ha, you guys might be right. But, is any other conference referred to by their members religious affiliation?

To me, it just feels like people around the country hear "Catholic 7" and they think something like "oh that's cute, a nice little Catholic conference". This is an athletic conference, not a bible study group.