PDA

View Full Version : Big East Name vs New Name

dw3dw3dw3
12-14-2012, 10:17 AM
A lot has been said about keeping the brand Big East because it has so much equity, however in the short term at least that brand is severely damaged. If the C7 kept the Big East Name it would always be prefaced with all the negativity that has happened over the last couple years (this isn't the same, defections, C-USA, etc... ) . A new name/brand would be tough to get used to, but at least would exclude the never ending digs that this isn't the same Big East.

Usually when brands reinvent themselves they go through a period of time out of the limelight, the C7 is looking to hit the ground running making an instant splash for recruiting and TV contract purposes, I just think it would be better to do that under a new name.

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
12-14-2012, 10:24 AM
I disagree. I think the Big East is already getting those digs. If we were able to keep the name, everyone would understand it was a completely new Big East with a different vision, yet one that was committed to the roots it was founded upon 30-some years ago. I actually feel that the Big East name would be MORE valuable to this new non-football conference than to the league it is currently attached to.

TheSultan
12-14-2012, 10:28 AM
I think if the Big East name goes away, that the new name would be synonymous with high-quality basketball within five years....and we would be left wondering why we ever WORRIED about it in the first place.

Nukem2
12-15-2012, 09:09 AM
Vanguard Conference

MayorBeluga
12-15-2012, 09:38 AM
Seen on another board: the Holy Roman Conference. It's not holy. It's not Roman. And it's not (currently) a conference.

Seriously, try to keep the name as the name still conjures up memories of great hoops. That said, MSG is more important.

Gato78
12-15-2012, 10:03 AM
Agreed Hizzoner. I initially thought the name was most important but after reading and thinking about it, we do not need the name as much as MSG. MSG will make the name, whatever it may be. We need not pay money for the name but our new commisssioner, whomever he or she may be, needs to secure the Garden as priority number one since that will lend credence and heft to the conference regardless of the name--even if it only means a few years at MSG, it is worth it to make sure the launch keeps the conference in the upper echelon.

pbiflyer
12-15-2012, 10:24 AM
The Mayor and Gato are wise indeed!

MUAlphaBangura
12-15-2012, 10:31 AM
The Mayor and Gato are wise indeed!

Well....... sometimes, I guess, but you really don't know them very well! Let's just put it this way-- They have their moments.

pbiflyer
12-15-2012, 10:37 AM
Well....... sometimes, I guess, but you really don't know them very well! Let's just put it this way-- They have their moments.

I assumed since it was posted so early that they weren't at the pre-game festivities yet. :D

MUAlphaBangura
12-15-2012, 10:49 AM
I assumed since it was posted so early that they weren't at the pre-game festivities yet. :D

Pre-game started October 15th for those two! :cool:

MayorBeluga
12-15-2012, 07:10 PM
Pre-game started October 15th for those two! :cool:

Gigiddy...

unclejohn
12-15-2012, 07:31 PM
I suggested the Wholly Roman Empire, but my favorite thus far has been The Big Privates.

But the new conference is not going to be the Big East. The Big East of a year ago is dead, we are just waiting a season or two to make it official.
The new conference is not going to be the New Big East. It is going to be a new conference. When the Big East was formed, it was not the Big East either. It was a bunch of Eastern independents with good or fairly good basketball traditions. It grew into the best basketball conference in the country.

Whatever this new conference is called, its goal will be to do the same thing. Time to move beyond the past and start new. I am all in favor of keeping the championship at the Garden, but I do not see it happening. I do not think the Garden will be interested, and the ACC sure will be, just to twist the knife, if for no other reason. Sorry to see that go, but there you go.

MUMac
12-15-2012, 07:35 PM
I choose The New and Improved Big East.

DCwarrior
12-15-2012, 07:50 PM
If we're forced to be something other then the Big East, I would vote for The City Conference

kneelb4zerg
12-15-2012, 08:04 PM
The CA7 has a great claim to the name and the arena...3 original members in our group, only original member on other side is UCONN. Should be interesting.

TheSultan
12-15-2012, 09:11 PM
Zagoria is calling it the Big Priest FWIW...

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
12-15-2012, 09:16 PM
I think no matter what happens the name has to be catchy and has to be something that won't be confused with a mid-major type name. While the Big Priest is funny, I also think you have to stay away from associating the league with being Catholic.

TheSultan
12-15-2012, 09:48 PM
Clearly...it was just a play on words.

CaribouJim
12-17-2012, 12:54 PM
If we're forced to be something other then the Big East, I would vote for The City Conference

I hope the Big East name somehow is kept, but if not I like where you are going with this - maybe not the City Conference, but something that plays off the urban-ness of the teams and obviously no number in it - those conferences sound silly now. I know that the Conference USA caught a lot of crap, but I actually liked it - it painted a picture of what it was and it was original with putting the word "conference" upfront. I hope they keep their HQ in NYC as well.

Nukem2
12-17-2012, 01:08 PM
I hope the Big East name somehow is kept, but if not I like where you are going with this - maybe not the City Conference, but something that plays off the urban-ness of the teams and obviously no number in it - those conferences sound silly now. I know that the Conference USA caught a lot of crap, but I actually liked it - it painted a picture of what it was and it was original with putting the word "conference" upfront. I hope they keep their HQ in NYC as well.Actually, Big East HQs has always been in Providence.

CaribouJim
12-17-2012, 02:16 PM
Whoops - at least retain a heavy NYC presence.

Goose85
12-17-2012, 02:23 PM
Why not have the offices of the new conference at Madison Square Garden?

IWB
12-17-2012, 03:30 PM
Why not have the offices of the new conference at Madison Square Garden?

That's actually a pretty solid idea. That way, every press release, instead of reading.....

Providence - Today the Big East.......

Now they could read......

Madison Square Garden - Today the Big East.......