PDA

View Full Version : I understand

Derek Spallone
12-14-2012, 09:47 AM
I understand why all of you are upset and frustrated. Take this into account, how do you know the players are not about winning? How can you say they do not care? I know I have not been a fan as long as you this is only my 1st full year as a media member. But think about it, which player actually likes to lose? These guys hate it, but they still live their lives, no one plays the game to lose. Sure, you might want to fire the coach, but he stuck at Milwaukee, even when a Big Ten school in Nebraska showed interest. It has been a tough year thus far, but nobody can truly say the players do not care about winning, except the players themselves! They do not show up to practice, sweat, run, shoot, and bleed to lose. It is part of the game, they get out played period. Who's fault is that truly? Think about it honestly you are upset but are you trying to tell me Paris Gulley, and Juco transfers like Jordan Aaron who was given a chance by a D1 team plays to lose? They play hard shots don't fall and they get out played. Experience wins, and if Carmody is still a coach after 13 season, and no NCAA Tourney bid, and no Conference win percentage over 8 wins then relax. Think about it.

lutzow10
12-14-2012, 11:13 AM
Its unfair of me to have grouped all the players together when I said that they don't care enought about winning. There are players that have consistantly shown that they want to win and those players play there butts off. Do i think there are times when i think those players slacked off on a play or two here and there. Yeah. But it could be from being gassed or worn thin.

However, I will stick to my guns about saying that there are players who don't show the heart and will to win that an athlete at the division 1 level should show. Hell at any college level. When i see players laughing and smiling on the court during a dead ball when they are getting killed that urks me. I knw basketball is supposed to be fun, but its winning and competing that make it fun. When you sign up to play college hoops there is an expectation that you are going to give it ur all and earn the scholarship you have been given. It is a business agreement, and players are expected to hold up their end of the bargain.

Here is another reason I know they don't have the heart and detemination that they should out on that court. You are telling me that when other teams are putting their body on the line to get boards and lose balls, that we have heart and determination? If that is true, do all the other teams just have a much higher level of heart and determination this year than usual? If everyone else is making far more hustle plays than we are that either means we are lazy or just don't care enough. There is no other answer to getting beat in the hustle category by almost every team we have played. Bad teams can hustle and put their bodies on the line. Hustle is noticable. Hustle is directly corilated to Heart and determination. And as a TEAM we are severely lacking.

So as sad as it is that players like Paris are pulled into the middle of this arguement, basketball is and will always be a team game. And those guys out there not putting in the extra effort, not giving 110%, it makes the entire team look bad.

MayorCK
12-14-2012, 06:45 PM
If Bill Carmody's program was in the Horizon League, he'd have a perennial conference championship contender. Unfortunately, he's in the B1G, and he'll always be on the bubble. In no way is Northwestern a comparable situation, other than their gym is as horrible as ours is.

MayorCK
12-14-2012, 06:56 PM
[QUOTE=Derek Spallone;17678]But think about it, which player actually likes to lose? These guys hate it, but they still live their lives, no one plays the game to lose.[/QUOT

You claim they hate it, but the body language in 5 out of the last 7 games (UNI, NIU games and 1st half of Fairfield were fine) tells me they don't really give a ****. They aren't playing to lose, but they've really only played to win against Mary and Davidson. The NIU game should have been a blowout, but the Huskies were let back in the game in the 2nd half when Dixon went nuts.

Jimmy Lemke
12-15-2012, 08:06 AM
I think it's an expansion of the earlier free throw problem (which still exists).

Remember when Kaylon Williams would go to the free throw line, miss a free throw, and then everyone in the Cell is thinking "oh ****, here we go again?" I think that feeling has now manifested itself on the whole program. If we get off to a slow start, if we go down by say 8 or 10 points early, everyone in the Klotsche goes "oh ****, here we go again" and the guys get down on themselves.