PDA

View Full Version : The more I think about this, the more it worries me

MU_Iceman
12-13-2012, 07:19 PM
I'm starting to(or have always had nervousness) about this. Let's really stop and think about this once...what kind of cache does this conference really bring?? Georgetown and MU have been solid obviously, but who else?? Nova is down from where they used to be. Providence and Seton Hall haven't been relevant in forever. SJU is coming back a bit, or at least did for a year and I don't even have to mention DePaul. Now what about Butler?? They aren't even what they used to be, and are Brad Stevens leaving from becoming irrelevant again. Xavier?? Again, not what they used to be. Will they even make the NCAA's this year?? I'm just not sure this will work. I worry about this hurting MU in the long run.

I'd feel a lot better about it if Cincy and Uconn were asked to join, same with Temple and Memphis. I still say this "new" league screams mid major. :(

Markedman
12-13-2012, 07:27 PM
Well that didn't take long........

It will be a very good hoops league and the best we can do considering the circumstances. The old BE is no more....it's done.......We now don't have to play Houston, Tulane, and SMU. We get to build rivalries and be a leader and not a follower.

We all wish the BE was the same as it was 5 years ago....but Syracuse left.....Pitt left....WV left....ND left....Louisville left....it's over.

The basketball schools have had enough of being tied to schools that are trying to leave them behind every year.

kneelb4zerg
12-13-2012, 07:30 PM
I'm sorry, but how is X Not what they used to be?

You can slap whatever label on the conference you want, but don't call US a mid major, just like X isn't a mid major just because they played in the A 10.

MU_Iceman
12-13-2012, 07:35 PM
All of this just makes me so sick. The Big East was fine the way it was(at least from an MU fan perspective). Is it better than having to play Houston, SMU, Tulane etc?? Of course, but will it be substantially better?? That I don't know. Really though, who besides MU and Georgetown in this new league has any clout?? No one has been consistent like GT and MU have been. The biggest question is, will Buzz be happy in a conference like this?? If he's not, then it's really going to blow up on MU. Long term, I just see this hurting MU more than it helps. I fear recruiting might dip, attendance likely would dip(no Cuse, Uconn etc), MU is going to have to schedule differently in the non conference that's for sure. I don't know, I almost wish more thought/consideration would have been given to Aresco's proposal of home and homes vs. the other original BE schools. At least that included Uconn/Cincy.

MUUWUWM
12-13-2012, 07:39 PM
Don't worry about things you have no control over!...I think things are moving along just fine. Trust me.

MU_Iceman
12-13-2012, 07:39 PM
I'm sorry, but how is X Not what they used to be?

You can slap whatever label on the conference you want, but don't call US a mid major, just like X isn't a mid major just because they played in the A 10.

In theory unless you are in a BCS conference, aren't you pretty much a mid major?? At least that is the national perception. I don't want MU viewed that way. That CAN hurt perception, which can cause a trickle down effect on everything MU related. Idk, I just wish maybe they could have/would have waited to see if the ACC imploded like is being talked about and MU could have possibly found themselves back with Pitt, UL, Cuse etc. Not to mention Duke. I mean no one knows for sure what could have happened.

TedBaxter
12-13-2012, 07:46 PM
Coulda-shoulda-woulda.

I love the idea of this conference as it's exactly where Marquette belongs. The schools will all be from a similar background and will be recognizable by college basketball fans and it will land a halfway decent TV contract.

TheSultan
12-13-2012, 07:48 PM
Iceman, this new conference is so much better than the future Big East. It's going to be better hoops and its going to be played by schools that care about basketball first and foremost. Don't worry about labels like "mid-major." They are irrelevant.

2012Warrior
12-13-2012, 07:50 PM
What was the Big East like at the start? Were they power-house teams beforehand? Or some good basketball schools that turned into a great conference?

MU_Iceman
12-13-2012, 07:57 PM
Coulda-shoulda-woulda.

I love the idea of this conference as it's exactly where Marquette belongs. The schools will all be from a similar background and will be recognizable by college basketball fans and it will land a halfway decent TV contract.

I don't want to put words in your mouth, but by saying the bolded, are you implying you think MU is "small time"?? I liked it a lot better when they were aligned with a "who's who" of college BB teams like the old Big East. I'm not saying I can't/won't grow to like this conference in time, but right now, it feels like all the wind has just come out of MU's sails. I still don't see how there is ANY way this won't hurt MU in some way. Whether that be in perception(nationally), recruiting, financially(almost a certainty it will).Sure, die hard college hoops fans, like the ones on message boards will relate to and recognize MU, but the casual fan that once knew them because of all the noise they made in the Big East, will now hardly remember they existed, or cease to care. It's the casual fans you want to make an impression on. Image IS everything.

MU_Iceman
12-13-2012, 07:59 PM
Iceman, this new conference is so much better than the future Big East. It's going to be better hoops and its going to be played by schools that care about basketball first and foremost. Don't worry about labels like "mid-major." They are irrelevant.

Sure, it's better than the future Big East, no doubt about that, but since MU hasn't played in the "future" Big East and have only played in the old Big East, right or wrong, that's what you compare it to, and there is no denying it's several steps down from that. That's just the reality of it, and it sucks.

TheSultan
12-13-2012, 08:01 PM
No, you can't compare it to something that doesn't exist any longer. You have to compare it to your future alternatives. You have to look forward.

dubs98
12-13-2012, 08:06 PM
"Image IS everything"- which is one of the many, many reasons why this is a good move. We have no control over the fball landscape that has been put before us. As such, we are now seen as a weak conference getting weaker by the minute. To many across the land the big east has become a laughing stock. I am guessing that is not how anyone wants their conference deemed, esp for a conference seeking viewership in a new media deal. Making this move to Re-Establish the core principals of the Big East, which was Basketball as king at the core, is exactly the kind of perception that we want to sell to fans, recruits, and the media. You are correct in that image is important, and I think this move definitely accomplishes this to the best of our ability under the circumstances.

dubs98
12-13-2012, 08:11 PM
BTW, in regards to one of your earlier comments, I don't think Stevens is going anywhere. He turned down a ton of cash to leave after two straight final fours. You think he is going to leave now???? No way. I follow them a bit since my in laws live a few blocks from Hinkle and they are will be good for a while. They have some good young players and some more good ones coming in. They have also begun to get really close on some elite players (they were runner up to Cody Zeller) and that was before moving to the A10. Stevens already mentioned how much easier it has been to recruit now that they moved to the A10 and that will jump up again if they are moved to this new conference. I also agree with whoever else spoke highly of Xavier. They have been great for quite some time now. I have always hoped we would sometime be in a conference with them as I think they will end up being a great rival. This league (as speculated) will be exciting and full of talent.

MU_Iceman
12-13-2012, 08:13 PM
No, you can't compare it to something that doesn't exist any longer. You have to compare it to your future alternatives. You have to look forward.

But it does still exist....with the exception of WVU, all the teams that were in the Big East are still in the Big East this year yet. Now starting next year, you can say it doesn't exist anymore. MU will never play a single gae in the "new Big East", this conference is starting next year.

kneelb4zerg
12-13-2012, 08:17 PM
I don't want to put words in your mouth, but by saying the bolded, are you implying you think MU is "small time"?? I liked it a lot better when they were aligned with a "who's who" of college BB teams like the old Big East. I'm not saying I can't/won't grow to like this conference in time, but right now, it feels like all the wind has just come out of MU's sails. I still don't see how there is ANY way this won't hurt MU in some way. Whether that be in perception(nationally), recruiting, financially(almost a certainty it will).Sure, die hard college hoops fans, like the ones on message boards will relate to and recognize MU, but the casual fan that once knew them because of all the noise they made in the Big East, will now hardly remember they existed, or cease to care. It's the casual fans you want to make an impression on. Image IS everything.

But it does still exist....with the exception of WVU, all the teams that were in the Big East are still in the Big East this year yet. Now starting next year, you can say it doesn't exist anymore. MU will never play a single gae in the "new Big East", this conference is starting next year.

Are you being dense on purpose. This is about the future. This is a better option than staying and traveling to play Tulane and Central Florida and SMU.

MUUWUWM
12-13-2012, 08:17 PM
A basketball centric conference based on the early Big East...think about this...its been done before and we now know where the pitfalls are. I think the timing is perfect. Its a rocket ready to take off.
Marketing will be key but I believe that its already in place. Many options are available and can be implemented as the league grows and gets established. I am excited!

TedBaxter
12-13-2012, 08:23 PM
Think about this for a second. If Xavier, Dayton and Butler are included with the 7, that puts 9 teams out of 10 who have appeared in at least one Final Four and Xavier has been to an Elite Eight. How many conferences can say that about it's members?

MU_Iceman
12-13-2012, 08:25 PM

I don't think it's being dense thank you very much. It's comparing what conference MU is currently playing in(The Big East as we have known it minus WVU) compared to the new conference they are going into. That's all there is to compare it to. Would the new Big East be worse then this?? Yes! Without question. But....what if...the ACC implodes in the next 3 months or so, and decided to merge with the remaining BE schools and MU could have found themselves back with Cuse, UL etc, and then add Duke, Wake, etc?? Would it have been likely?? Probably not, but if there is anything certain, it's that in realignment, anything is possible. I just hope they didn't jump to soon, that's all.

MUUWUWM
12-13-2012, 08:30 PM

Well if the ACC explodes or implodes or just vaporizies we'll pick the schools we want. Piece of cake:cool:

Markedman
12-13-2012, 08:45 PM
George Colli ‏@GeorgeColli
Sources from Providence College say Xavier, Butler and VCU are the most likely choices to join Catholic 7 in new 10-team league

MUfan12
12-13-2012, 08:46 PM
George Colli ‏@GeorgeColli
Sources from Providence College say Xavier, Butler and VCU are the most likely choices to join Catholic 7 in new 10-team league

By far the best choices, IMO.

lougrant
12-13-2012, 08:51 PM
I agree, MUfan12. Dayton and SLU's inclusion would do nothing for me.

JohnnyRev
12-13-2012, 08:52 PM
Why are you crying over spilled milk, Iceman? The 7 presidents and ADs voted to leave the Big East as a group already. They are already seeking out Butler, Xavier, etc. They seem assured of a decent TV money contract and are assured of automatic NCAA bid. Football schools killed the Big East and are ruining other conferences too. Let's get away from football schools that cannot wait to drop us for someone else.

TedBaxter
12-13-2012, 08:53 PM
I've seen this tweet, the Hunt article and Gary Parish had a tweet tonight and while Xavier and Butler have been consistent from the 3 sources, the third school has been different from each source.

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
12-13-2012, 09:00 PM
I really think Gonzaga should be seen as a must-add if they'll come. I know all the travel issues, but they bring more cachet than any other team not in a BCS conference in the country. Their sustained success is unrivaled among mid-majors and they clearly have a dedication to a quality basketball program. Along with Xavier and Butler I think they are at the top of the list.

And Iceman...the idea of holding on because Louisville, Notre Dame, and some of the others might be there one more year is just silly. This season will go on as scheduled. Beyond that, what's the point? There's no TV deal in place and none of the schools that committed elsewhere are coming back. Is it worth passing on this in the vain hope that Duke will decide they don't need the $17M from the ACC every year and it's better to dissolve their football program and join us for $2M per year? That's ludicrous. Or maybe it's worth sticking because UConn and Cincy are that much more valuable to play against than Butler and Xavier? Never mind that it automatically means we also will play teams like SMU, Houston, and Tulane, all sub-200 RPI last year.

Staying is pointless. And besides, the decision has already been made.