PDA

View Full Version : Exit Fees & Credits

Phantom Warrior
12-13-2012, 05:19 PM
According to USA Today, the C-7 would not have to pay any exit fees based on an agreement that dates back several years.

As for dividing up NCAA Tournament credits, I have a fair way to do that.

Each school that's been in the tournament over the past six years has earned credits. The C-7 schools take their credits with them, and the football schools retain the credits earned by the football schools - in this case UConn, Cincy, and USF. The remaining credits earned by Louisville, Pitt, Syracuse, WVU, and ND are divided 50-50.

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
12-13-2012, 05:23 PM
That sounds fair and equitable. However as the credits and exit fees are property of the Big East, I'm a bigger fan of dissolving the conference and selling the credits to a newly formed Big East company (made up of the C7) for $10. Not necessarily to stick it to UConn and Cincy...umm...okay, well, yeah, to stick it to UConn and Cincy. At least they can now go to the ACC without having to pay exit fees.

The Reptile
12-13-2012, 07:04 PM
I see it differently. With 7 of 10 votes why not simply hold a vote to disband football as a BE sport, change the bylaws or whatever we need to rid ourselves of football schools forever? Then we can keep the name, settle the credits issue and keep the tournament at MSG.

Markedman
12-13-2012, 07:06 PM
Pete Thamel ‏@SIPeteThamel
The one topic not addresed in the Big East bylaws is the actual Big East name. So that's foggy right now.

Details Expand Collapse Reply
RetweetedRetweet
Delete
FavoritedFavorite
20m Pete Thamel ‏@SIPeteThamel
Couple of relevent Big East bylaw facts. The seven departing school will be able to bring their NCAA units with them. (And the AQ).

Markedman
12-13-2012, 07:31 PM
Brett McMurphy ‏@McMurphyESPN
Big East hoops schools can't dissolve league, sources told @espn. Can leave as group w/out paying exit fees, but must wait 27 months

TheSultan
12-13-2012, 07:52 PM
Eventually, things will just get negotiated away. There is no way they are going to wait 27 months. The football schools can even keep the name IMO. Just give us MSG. In a couple years, something like the "Eastern Athletic Alliance" is going to rise up to the level of play.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
12-13-2012, 11:00 PM
I think more than anything you want the name and MSG... Money can be made in other ways over time.

Phantom Warrior
12-13-2012, 11:37 PM
Maybe I'm naive, but to me having the conference tournament at MSG isn't all that important. I don't care if it's held in NYC, D.C., Philly, ChiTown, or somewhere else.

The name to me is more important although I also think a new name could be found that would capture the essence of the league's hoops focus. Maybe hold a nation-wide naming contest with the winner receiving free air fare, hotel, and tickets to the conference tournament. That would be one way to publicize the new league.

Regardless, the MSG issue is way down on my list of concerns.

Gato78
12-13-2012, 11:41 PM
You've never been to MSG for the Tourney is my bet.

Maybe I'm naive, but to me having the conference tournament at MSG isn't all that important. I don't care if it's held in NYC, D.C., Philly, ChiTown, or somewhere else.

The name to me is more important although I also think a new name could be found that would capture the essence of the league's hoops focus. Maybe hold a nation-wide naming contest with the winner receiving free air fare, hotel, and tickets to the conference tournament. That would be one way to publicize the new league.

Regardless, the MSG issue is way down on my list of concerns.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
12-13-2012, 11:44 PM
There is a reason the ACC is so badly waiting for the Big East to fall apart so they can grab MSG... MSG is the Mecca of basketball arena's, it's important, as is the name, I'd say even more so than the money.

2012Warrior
12-13-2012, 11:48 PM
Madison Square Garden is worth the hype.

ETA: Also, is there another Conference tournament that has as big of a deal made about it as the Big East? Primetime at the Garden with the A team of McDonough, Raftery and Bilas. It's by far the best, and is the highlight of tournament week.

MUBB713
12-13-2012, 11:55 PM
I don't see why this conference would automatically lose the garden. St. John's playing there for their homes games has to at least put the new conference in the hat, wouldn't you think ? I predict the new conference stays at MSG.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
12-14-2012, 07:45 AM
Lets not all forget that MSG has a choice in this too, they could decide to back out of their agreement with the Big East due to all the changes and then neither side could get the agreement. That or if it was given to the football schools they could back out and resign with the basketball side.