PDA

View Full Version : OT UW football job

Markedman
12-13-2012, 02:07 PM
So nobody seems to want it? First Chryst...then Mel Tucker and now Al Golden?

Evan Flood ‏@Evan_Flood
Well that was fun. #badgers RT @SIPeteThamel Just got word that Al Golden is flattered by Alvarez's interest but staying at Miami.

TheSultan
12-13-2012, 02:13 PM
One thing I have learned about college football searches, is that you think nothing is going on, when in fact a lot is going on.

MUMac
12-13-2012, 02:16 PM
One thing I have learned about college football searches, is that you think nothing is going on, when in fact a lot is going on.

The other thing I learned is that when someone says they are flattered at the interest, but staying put is that they likely were never the top choice.

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
12-13-2012, 02:22 PM
Based on what Alvarez said, Chryst wasn't considered because he didn't want to put his name on the line for a guy and then poach that guy from the same people he recommended him to a year later.

ge1974
12-13-2012, 02:24 PM
John L. Smith is still available.

Goose85
12-13-2012, 02:25 PM
Most of the jobs are now filled, so there is no longer a reason for Barry to rush as Wisconsin is now close to, if not the last one standing.
I wonder if Barry was not successful in getting someone he wanted to jump, so now his focus is turned to waiting for the NFL season to conclude while he acts as head of the program. Could Childress be someone Barry is looking for?

Markedman
12-13-2012, 02:31 PM
Yeah Barry said that.....but my guess is Chryst didn't want to leave after 1 year.....If Chrsyt would have shown interest Barry as the AD at UW would have had to take him if(obviously a big if but it seems logical that he would have been by all reports) he was the #1 choice.....he works for UW not Pitt.

Based on what Alvarez said, Chryst wasn't considered because he didn't want to put his name on the line for a guy and then poach that guy from the same people he recommended him to a year later.

TheSultan
12-13-2012, 02:34 PM
If Childress is named the head coach, the search was a complete disaster.

Also, the official deadline for the job is next Wednesday the 19th. They can't name anyone until then anyway.

MUMac
12-13-2012, 02:48 PM
If Childress is named the head coach, the search was a complete disaster.

Also, the official deadline for the job is next Wednesday the 19th. They can't name anyone until then anyway.

When did those things affect Barry in the past?

TheSultan
12-13-2012, 02:54 PM
When did those things affect Barry in the past?

True. But if the dude was actually smart he would have learned his lesson on both counts.

IWB
12-13-2012, 10:27 PM
I was told by somebody that I believe to be in the know that said it will be Cryst, but that they do not want to make any waves before January. If they can't work it out, they'll target Doeren.

Goose85
12-14-2012, 09:21 AM
Tough to get Doereen as he is already at NC State, will coach the team in the bowl game, and has brought on some assistant coaches already.
New name today is Riley from Oregon State.

MUAlphaBangura
12-14-2012, 12:30 PM
Most intriguing name I have heard is Jim Tressel. I know it won't happen but man, would that be interesting.

Halo
12-14-2012, 12:44 PM
It's going to be Chyrst I think. Timing is the issue now, but expect it soon is my bet.

Markedman
12-14-2012, 01:02 PM
Comcast SportsNet NW ‏@CSNNW
Source: Wisconsin spoke to Riley about the job but he has not interviewed, will not interview and is not interested in the job.

TedBaxter
12-14-2012, 01:09 PM
Riley is one of Chryst's best friends.

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
12-14-2012, 01:16 PM
Maybe it's time for Barry to call a search committee :cool:

MUMac
12-14-2012, 06:10 PM
Riley is one of Chryst's best friends.

Chryst coached with Riley at a couple of places. He is very tight with Riley. That said, things I have heard point to Chryst. I am hoping to run into someone close to him and find out.

Markedman
12-18-2012, 06:50 PM
Interesting that the Iowa State coach passed.....I mean UW is huge step up from ISU right?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-football/news/20121218/wisconsin-interviews-gary-andersen/

TheSultan
12-18-2012, 07:36 PM
He didn't pass. He was never contacted.

Wisconsin message board types believe it is Mel Tucker...that he has already been hired but they can't announce until tomorrow evening or Thursday due to job posting requirements. Tucker was in Alvarez's first recruiting class, coached with Nick Saban for years, and is the current Jags defensive coordinator. Assuming he puts a decent staff together, this would be a good hire.

Markedman
12-18-2012, 07:47 PM
So you are saying that Thamel made it up that Alvarez had interest? How do you know he wasn't contacted either directly or through back channels?

Lots of Buzz in the media tonight about the Utah state guy being top choice.....

TheSultan
12-18-2012, 07:53 PM
I'm not saying he made it up. I'm saying that I think he was wrong...my understanding is Rhoades made the initial contact and Barry wasn't interested.

Gary Andersen would be a real out-of-the-box type hire. That could go real well...or real wrong.

Halo
12-18-2012, 08:05 PM
It's not Andersen.
The best part in this is seeing Alvarez mess with local fanboy/PR rep Jeff Potrykus. He's clueless with what is going on and it's funny seeing him toss all sort of crap against the wall.

TheSultan
12-18-2012, 08:08 PM
Who do you think it is then? Tucker? Someone else?

Halo
12-18-2012, 08:47 PM
Chryst or Tucker

Markedman
12-18-2012, 09:02 PM
ah...it's Anderson....

Adam Mertz ‏@AdamMertzWSJ
BREAKING: Gary Andersen will be the next #Badgers football coach, source tells the State Journal, per @TomMulhernWSJ:

TheSultan
12-18-2012, 09:04 PM
Yeah, Tucker I would have believed, but there was no way it was going to be Chryst. Not after Alvarez was so public about not wanting to pull him from Pitt.

Halo
12-18-2012, 09:13 PM
This is crazy. The Media guys are back and forth on if it's Andersen or not. I heard Chryst was still in the background. I agree, BA's comments out of the chute seemed to set it up as no way, but had heard there was some discussions going on. Who knows. You would think though the local Madison media would have someone on the inside telling them what the heck is going on. I know they don't want it out there, but these guys haven't even been close if it's Andersen. Mulhern tweeted a hour ago it was not Andersen.

Markedman
12-18-2012, 09:33 PM
Tony Jones ‏@Tjonessltrib
Source says offer from Wisconsin has been made...If Andersen accepts, he is expected to take entire coaching staff with him

Retweeted by Evan Flood
Expand Collapse Reply RetweetedRetweet
Delete
FavoritedFavorite
21m Tony Jones ‏@Tjonessltrib
Source tells the Tribune "Definitely not a done deal. Talks to continue tomorrow."

TheSultan
12-19-2012, 08:03 AM
It's pretty much a done deal.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/sports/55491765-77/andersen-state-wisconsin-bowl.html.csp

They can't say it's a done deal because of the two-week waiting period, but if he's already calling players....