PDA

View Full Version : Wow...

MUBasketball
12-12-2012, 11:01 PM
Brett McMurphy ‏@McMurphyESPN

BIg East hoops schools expected to release statement on future plans in coming days. Source told @espn would be an "upset" if they remained

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
12-12-2012, 11:04 PM
Just saw that, I hope if that's true that they started working on this well before Sunday. Gotta imagine Sunday was not the first meeting on this.

MUBasketball
12-12-2012, 11:08 PM
Wonder what the hell this means. That has to mean they will dissolve the conference, doesn't it? They can't just up and leave (I wouldn't think) due to the exit fees and with nowhere ideal to go (Atlantic 10 is not ideal with all the bottom feeders -- and 21 teams or whatever it is would be way too many).

If they dissolve the conference, the schools most screwed (SMU, Houston, UCF) I would imagine would sue for damages. I wonder how that would all play out?

Stuff for people who are a lot smarter than me. Will be very interesting to see how this saga unfolds.

dubs98
12-12-2012, 11:11 PM
wouldn't you love to be a fly on the wall behind the scenes for the last few days. I would imagine there has to be a lot of discussions going on with potential schools that would be invited and these discussions I would think have ramped up significantly with several schools making huge decisions for their universities. If this happens, it could really send quite the ripple through ncaa as we are talking about the possibility of this move alone affecting multiple conferences on the initial move not to mention the secondary moves to follow.

also, how does aresco balance this. I would assume he would be retained as the leader of the new big east, but assuming that is the case then he has to walk quite the fine line at the present time as he is at the helm of a league that has many other school's futures at stake. guess that is why he is getting paid the big bucks.

Mucrisco
12-12-2012, 11:19 PM
It's an exciting time to be a Marquette fan. I hope it's a big splash!

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
12-12-2012, 11:19 PM
This has got to mean a move, there is simply no way they would announce they are staying this quickly. I am extremely worried it could mean a move to the A-10, I find it hard to believe that this shortly they organized a whole new conference or even thought through all the legalities of taking the BE name. I'm nervous yet excited.

MUBasketball
12-12-2012, 11:23 PM
It's an exciting time to be a Marquette fan. I hope it's a big splash!

Oddly, it is exciting. But, I'm much more nervous than I am excited (I'm sure we all feel the same way).

If they willingly leave the conference, I think it's a terrible mistake.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
12-12-2012, 11:25 PM
Full ESPN story up now: http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/8742607/seven-catholic-schools-leaning-leaving-big-east-sources-say

Mucrisco
12-12-2012, 11:34 PM
I know I'm biased in my thinking, because I want my four division four team scenario to happen, but these comments on the Zags board have to make you wonder:
I've been surprised no one on this board mentioned a recent comment Coach Few made on the Mark Few show. Coach Few said that times are rapidly changing in college basketball and Zags may have to act in their best interests regarding GU's conference alignment. Noteworthy to me was that he basically initiated the statement and that he didn't make the statement in response to a question. I came away from the comment that some specific discussion about changing conferences had already started at GU.
http://www.guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?t=42593

Mucrisco
12-12-2012, 11:39 PM
This has got to mean a move, there is simply no way they would announce they are staying this quickly. I am extremely worried it could mean a move to the A-10, I find it hard to believe that this shortly they organized a whole new conference or even thought through all the legalities of taking the BE name. I'm nervous yet excited.

Because of Larry Williams comments, I suspect that it isn't an A10 move.
Yes, I think we have the same feeling. It's like waiting to see if you did well on that test, or if you got the job.

MU_Iceman
12-13-2012, 05:06 AM
This is a nervous time to be an MU fan. Let's just hope that the Presidents have a plan in place and we will all be happy with the final outcome. Remember, the presidents/AD's, are staking their futures, not too mention their respective University's futures on this. This HAS to be well thought out. I think I'm even more nervous if Larry is one of the leaders of this whole thing.

I did see a tweet somewhere that said SJU had contacted Mike Tranghese about coming back to be the "new" conferences comissioner. I'd be ok with that.

TedBaxter
12-13-2012, 05:36 AM
As much as I like Gonzaga as a basketball school, I don't want a new conference spread over 4 time zones. Creighton, another good option, is even too far west for my tastes and I'm considering the non-revenue sports the most in this. The farthest west I'd want to go would be St. Louis for a new conference.

Kevin McNamara article.

http://news.providencejournal.com/sports/college/2012/12/big-east-catholics-could-announce-split-soon.html

MU_Iceman
12-13-2012, 08:04 AM
As much as I like Gonzaga as a basketball school, I don't want a new conference spread over 4 time zones. Creighton, another good option, is even too far west for my tastes and I'm considering the non-revenue sports the most in this. The farthest west I'd want to go would be St. Louis for a new conference.

Kevin McNamara article.

http://news.providencejournal.com/sports/college/2012/12/big-east-catholics-could-announce-split-soon.html

You have to remember...with all this alignment going on, geography has been completely thrown out the window. If the BE BB schools are going to do this, and do it right(ie bring in the most money) then they NEED to combine with the BEST BB schools possible. I'm not talking location, or TV market or anything like that, just the best BB schools possible..therefore, this is what I'd like to see...

PC
MU
Georgetown
SJU
Villanova
Seton Hall
DePaul

Then add...Butler, Xavier, Gonzaga, VCU, Creighton....then you extend an olive branch to the leftover FB schools from the BE, who's BB teams will be left without a home...they can form their own FB conference and play the same teams as they would in the new BE, but let them have their BB teams in this conference...I'm Talking Temple, Memphis, UCONN and Cincy.

So....

UCONN
Cincy
Memphis
Temple
MU
Georgetown
Xavier
SJU
Seton Hall
Providence
DePaul
Villanova
Gonzaga
VCU
Creighton
Butler

Beautiful! It may not be the old BE, but it's pretty damn good, and some network would pay for that kind of quality. Still do NOT understand the love affair with STL and Dayton...again, could care less about market size and I want quality. SLU & Dayton bring the market sizes, but not the consistent quality.

MUMac
12-13-2012, 08:09 AM
Geography was thrown out the window for the conferences that have, or a making, their own network. You need Football programing to make that work. Basketball driven conference is a completely different beast.

Mucrisco
12-13-2012, 08:17 AM
You have to remember...with all this alignment going on, geography has been completely thrown out the window. If the BE BB schools are going to do this, and do it right(ie bring in the most money) then they NEED to combine with the BEST BB schools possible. I'm not talking location, or TV market or anything like that, just the best BB schools possible..therefore, this is what I'd like to see...

PC
MU
Georgetown
SJU
Villanova
Seton Hall
DePaul

Then add...Butler, Xavier, Gonzaga, VCU, Creighton....then you extend an olive branch to the leftover FB schools from the BE, who's BB teams will be left without a home...they can form their own FB conference and play the same teams as they would in the new BE, but let them have their BB teams in this conference...I'm Talking Temple, Memphis, UCONN and Cincy.

So....

UCONN
Cincy
Memphis
Temple
MU
Georgetown
Xavier
SJU
Seton Hall
Providence
DePaul
Villanova
Gonzaga
VCU
Creighton
Butler

Beautiful! It may not be the old BE, but it's pretty damn good, and some network would pay for that kind of quality. Still do NOT understand the love affair with STL and Dayton...again, could care less about market size and I want quality. SLU & Dayton bring the market sizes, but not the consistent quality.

For Zags and Creighton to be added, I believe you need two more west coast teams. Then, you can have two away games and two home games between those four. You'd only have to travel out west once since you can play those games back to back. Create four four team divisions, and the west coast teams would have to travel east, "only" three times.

ValiantSailor
12-13-2012, 08:23 AM

Kevin McNamara article.

McNamara has it right. Ten team league, more or less geographically "tight". That is the best model for basketball. We must avoid the football monstrosities as we transition to our new home. This will be a done deal as soon as the three A-10 members sign up.

VS

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
12-13-2012, 08:31 AM
I think a 10 team league is where you start, I don't feel that is where it ends. I don't however want to get into a monster nationwide league, I'd add maybe 2 more teams IF they are of quality, I'd rather see St. Louis than Dayton though... For whatever reason I can't get excited about Dayton... Another option is Creighton, if you really think about it most of those schools are flying privately anyhow, what's another hour or two on a plane if you are already traveling from DC to Chicago or Milwaukee?

Gato78
12-13-2012, 09:16 AM
Do not count out a post-divorce inslusion of UConn and Cincy IF they can find a home for their football teams.

Hamostradamus
12-13-2012, 09:18 AM
Do not count out a post-divorce inslusion of UConn and Cincy IF they can find a home for their football teams.

Bingo, need them to be orphans by this time next week, and pick them up for the new conference. Then we can negotiate a good tv deal.

warriorfan4life
12-13-2012, 09:20 AM

I would take both of them, but only on the condition that they sign a ten year grant of rights. This new league provides stability along with great potential, and it cannot start off with two teams having one foot out the door already.

dubs98
12-13-2012, 09:22 AM

how bad do you want them knowing that they will want out at the first chance? Their desire to get out has me extremely reluctant to include them unless the conference was able to put some stipulations such as a higher exit fee for fball schools. I am guessing that legally this would not be feasible and as such I actually would prefer to stay away from this fball whoring

TheSultan
12-13-2012, 09:25 AM
I don't want UConn or Cincy for the short-term gain of their basketball programs. No more hybrids!!! They don't work!!! I would rather capture the Cincy market with Xavier and UConn isn't necessary for anything.

ValiantSailor
12-13-2012, 09:45 AM
I don't want UConn or Cincy for the short-term gain of their basketball programs. No more hybrids!!! They don't work!!! I would rather capture the Cincy market with Xavier and UConn isn't necessary for anything.

Actually, UCONN would be wonderful. Their FB team is a recent start-up, while their BB teams have a desirable history. Let them play FB in the Patriot league. Or, as was suggested earlier, the best way for the BB teams to accomplish their goals would be to discontinue FB in the Big East, allowing the FB schools to either change conferences or find a new conference for FB and retain their BE membership for all other sports...not unlike what ND has been doing for years. Yes, the BE would have to put protections in place, but that should be doable.

VS

Gato78
12-13-2012, 09:51 AM
Football would have nothing to do with the new conference. Cincy and UConn can play football in any conference in the country but they would play basketball in our New BIG EAST--or whatever it is called. Do not dismiss the fact that there are substantial comittments to basketball by both schools and UConn has 3 recent National Championships. Cincy has 2 national titles from the early '60's. They meet all the criteria and may need us to "blow up the conference" in order to place football elsewhere and rejoin us for hoops only (and maybe Olympic sports) shortly thereafter. No inside info, just a scenario.

Nukem2
12-13-2012, 09:54 AM
I rather suspect that Cincy and UConn will end up in one of the power conferences fairly soon....?

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
12-13-2012, 09:56 AM
Don't forget that if they join for a year or two then bolt we get their NCAA tournament revenue. I am okay with adding them as long as we have a solid base around them so that when the inevidible happens we are fine and not up **** creek.

I would also really prefer Creighton as I think it's important for this league to be as high quality as possible. Remember the money that this league could bring in via multiple tournament bids and deep runs is higher than the likely TV deal will be on an annual basis. Go for high quality and things will be fine!

wiscwarrior
12-13-2012, 09:56 AM
IMO, keep Cincy and Uconn as long as you can. Having them works from the standpoint of the attractiveness of having them on our schedule, the traditional rivalry and their contribution to our SOS. If/when they do leave eventually, it will cause no additional harm to the league. The league would just add the next best available basketball only schools.

TheSultan
12-13-2012, 10:00 AM
I disagree. Focus and unity of purpose is important. Urban, mostly private schools that concentrate on basketball are best for the long term health of the new conference. Tying to be all things to everyone is what got the Big East in trouble.

dubs98
12-13-2012, 10:48 AM
I disagree. Focus and unity of purpose is important. Urban, mostly private schools that concentrate on basketball are best for the long term health of the new conference. Tying to be all things to everyone is what got the Big East in trouble.

I agree completely. If you want to establish a strong new brand, why do it with two schools that want out at their first available opportunity. If they park their FBall programs at another conference you can't tell me they will not be lobbying just as hard to leave the conference for a power conference as soon as possible. Don't get me wrong, I would love to have them in our conference but not at the price of having a school that wants out asap. FWIW, it made me smile so big this morning to read that UCONN was begging all the C7 schools from leaving considering their push to leave the conference was just one of the many nails in the coffin. Karma is a b*&%*.
Any lawyers on here know whether the new conference could single out schools (FBall schools) and impose stiffer exit fees on only those schools? I am guessing that would not fly in court but I have no idea. IF that was a possibility then I would be a bit more on board with having them in the conference.

dubs98
12-13-2012, 10:51 AM
http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/blog/eye-on-college-basketball/21389753/sources-big-east-expected-to-split
looks like it is all but done

Djgoldnboy
12-13-2012, 11:36 AM
I like it. Create a conference that can continue to build a b-ball only brand, (which should be a plus in recruits eyes, at least to me), have stability between members knowing no one will have a reason to leave anytime soon. Sign me up.

dw3dw3dw3
12-13-2012, 01:09 PM
More rumblings from MHVer on twitter

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=159&f=4582&t=11055443

dubs98
12-13-2012, 01:49 PM
well that is an interesting read. someday a movie may come out on all of this.

ge1974
12-13-2012, 02:28 PM
The "Bristol Monster That Ate College Sports" starring Hanna Storm and Dick Vitale.

CaribouJim
12-13-2012, 05:01 PM

Wouldn't SLU qualify? Bloomberg News Sportfolio show profiled SLU and their investment into their b-ball program including their on campus facility - I think they have a higher ceiling that Creighton. Just my opinion.

TheSultan
12-13-2012, 05:05 PM
I think both SLU and Creighton would be great ads. Along with Xavier.

CaribouJim
12-13-2012, 05:08 PM
I think both SLU and Creighton would be great ads. Along with Xavier.

I can live with both as well, but if I had to choose between the two, I'd take SLU.