PDA

View Full Version : Making a coaching change

Jimmy Lemke
12-12-2012, 10:33 PM
I'm posting this poll, but you guys have to make sure you take everything into account, including the fact that $1,233,000 is due to coach Jeter for the rest of his contract.

So, do you make the tough decision and cut him loose?

royalty414
12-12-2012, 11:01 PM
I have been the biggest Jeter supporter and even came up with the t-shirt design and name: Jeters Jungle. I only say yes because I think it's unfortunately more likely to cut him loose, than it is to cut 12 players loose from their scholarships, even though I believe it's the players more than it is the coaching. Both are at fault, but this is not going to end well either way.

Jimmy Lemke
12-12-2012, 11:04 PM
If the players aren't buying into the coach, that is the coach's fault. Coaches will be the first to tell you that, in fact Jeter said it after the Buffalo game.

Delux269
12-13-2012, 07:44 AM
You can't fire the coach one third of the way I to the season. You have to let it play out. Now, if MKE goes 8-23 this year, yes you make a move at the end. But right now no. Gotta let Jeter have a chance to turn things around.

Maybe I'm being too patient since I am a CSU fan and have never been in this spot, but that's just how I see it

illwauk
12-13-2012, 06:39 PM
How much longer is Jeter's contract supposed to last?

Spirit of Bruce
12-13-2012, 07:27 PM
I would have much rather had a season like this next year, if at all. Bruce is cleared to coach after 13-14 season.

Jimmy Lemke
12-13-2012, 08:03 PM
I think Jeter will be here through next year. I hope he gets the chance to rebound - this is, after all, the first time he's gone backward (we all expected it in 06-07).

We need to take a step back here. Has he lost the players? I think so. But I also think he deserves the chance to make it work. I for one would like to see Jeter get this year and next. I know it will be a tremendous test of patience but I think it's worth the wait, and I'll tell you why.

Every game we're losing fans. So many of the internet fans have long given up or are just getting apathetic now. But think of where all this ire is pointed? It's pointed at Jeter. The point I'm making is this: no matter when Jeter departs, whether it be soon, after the season, or even after next season, you have to expect that the anger of a lot of fans will go out the window too. I will venture a guess and say that 90% of the fans are angry because they dislike Jeter as our coach. Once that tenure ends, all of them are going to be excited again, unless it's handed to one of his assistants (fairly or unfairly; Boudreau's style is a whole lot different from Jeter's, as Chad's a part of the same Dr. Tom Davis tree that Pearl comes from).

So why not ride it out for awhile, see if he can make it right?

MayorCK
12-13-2012, 08:05 PM
We need to really start researching who the answer might be.

In state candidates:

Bob Semling, UW-Stevens Point

Record: 173-41 8-0 this season)

Runs a Dick Bennett style. Can't argue with a career .808 winning percentage, either. That's better than Bo Ryan's at Platteville when we hired him.

Pat Miller, UW-Whitewater

Record: 245-75 (7-1 this season)

Coming off a National Championship season. If we hire Plinske as AD, maybe he can bring him along. I would say it's a long shot, because Miller is a lifelong Warhawk, and is probably living his dream every day he is at work.

Out of state

Bruce Pearl

Record (at Milwaukee 2001-2005) 86-38

You all know how I feel about Coach Pearl and what he can do for this program. I would gladly accept whatever sanctions necessary to have him here right now, but of course that is totally infeasible. I understand that some people are salty at him for leaving still, but I have no doubt that would quickly disappear. If Green Bay can bring Kevin Borseth back after leaving for "greener pastures," we can bring our guy back too.

MayorCK
12-13-2012, 08:08 PM
I think Jeter will be here through next year. I hope he gets the chance to rebound - this is, after all, the first time he's gone backward (we all expected it in 06-07).

We need to take a step back here. Has he lost the players? I think so. But I also think he deserves the chance to make it work. I for one would like to see Jeter get this year and next. I know it will be a tremendous test of patience but I think it's worth the wait, and I'll tell you why.

Every game we're losing fans. So many of the internet fans have long given up or are just getting apathetic now. But think of where all this ire is pointed? It's pointed at Jeter. The point I'm making is this: no matter when Jeter departs, whether it be soon, after the season, or even after next season, you have to expect that the anger of a lot of fans will go out the window too. I will venture a guess and say that 90% of the fans are angry because they dislike Jeter as our coach. Once that tenure ends, all of them are going to be excited again, unless it's handed to one of his assistants (fairly or unfairly; Boudreau's style is a whole lot different from Jeter's, as Chad's a part of the same Dr. Tom Davis tree that Pearl comes from).

So why not ride it out for awhile, see if he can make it right?

No doubt we will have to ride it out, because nothing is going to happen before the new AD is on board.

I can't say I'm in favor of promoting Chad to Head Coach. His recruiting has led to the mess we are in right now, in my eyes.

MayorCK
12-13-2012, 08:10 PM
With that said, I do understand that not all recruits pan out. So it's not entirely his fault.

Tyrunner0097
12-14-2012, 10:18 PM
Mayor, I like your enthusiasm for Semling. No doubt, especially in SP, the Bennett name is etched in gold there. The Bennett brothers have made a name for themselves for college BB in Wisconsin. Then again...the Pointers ARE D3...

MayorCK
12-15-2012, 02:26 AM
Mayor, I like your enthusiasm for Semling. No doubt, especially in SP, the Bennett name is etched in gold there. The Bennett brothers have made a name for themselves for college BB in Wisconsin. Then again...the Pointers ARE D3...

Don't forget Ty, Bennett ball translated in D1 all the way to the Final Four. Also, Bo Ryan was JUST a D3 coach when Milwaukee hired him in 1999. Everyone starts somewhere..

Jimmy Lemke
12-15-2012, 07:49 AM
I really despise that prick hippy on the freak board. He's a damn troll.