PDA

View Full Version : Might we know in the next month?

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
12-12-2012, 09:06 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/story/21379753/big-east-in-a-state-of-perplexity-with-possible-breakaway

Jeff Goodman's article says that one coach said they would know in the next month or so where things are headed. I think for MU in particular that's very important for carrying the momentum in recruiting and keeping Buzz on board. Extended periods of uncertainty doesn't mean anything good for any of these schools, I see no way this takes 6 months to wrap up.

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
12-12-2012, 09:10 PM
I'd rather they take time and do it right than rush it and make missteps. Especially with our recruiting class all signed, as long as LW can convince Buzz we are stable (and right now, LW is the Big East model of stability) I'm fine with any decision that comes by April. I think there may be leaks of plans before then, but don't see any need to finalize it before the NCAA Tournament is done.

IWB
12-12-2012, 09:27 PM
Actually, letting things be known as the Big East & NCAA tourneys begin would be the best - that a whole month of prime time TV where the entire nation will be watching. They will be talking about it non-stop, regardless. I would much rather have them talking about the future of the Big East as opposed to what was and what will become of the Big East.

That gives them 2 1/2 months.

dubs98
12-12-2012, 09:40 PM
another thing to consider (and I don't know the answer) is the pending negotiations. Our media deal is up at the end of the year correct? I am not sure what the fiscal/end of the year date is, but I would assume we would need/want a new deal before next year's season starts. If you wait this out a long time do we get locked into a deal that is not reflective of what our conference will be? If we wait this out, how long will it take to negotiate a new deal for the new conference. If we raid other conferences, how long will it take to get other teams out of their committments? A ton of moving parts. Waiting might be nice, but I am not sure how much leverage we have in those regards. I also agree with Jim's comments about beginning a positive dialogue of a new conference much sooner and avoiding the perception of this sinking ship that we are currently seeing.

dw3dw3dw3
12-12-2012, 09:45 PM
Actually, letting things be known as the Big East & NCAA tourneys begin would be the best - that a whole month of prime time TV where the entire nation will be watching. They will be talking about it non-stop, regardless. I would much rather have them talking about the future of the Big East as opposed to what was and what will become of the Big East.

That gives them 2 1/2 months.

That's a good point, hopefully someone is thinking about that.... Dream scenario would be:
Gang of 7,
Cinnci bball, Uconn bball, Memphis bball, Temple bball, ND bball (Acc blows up or something), Xavier bball (might as well), Butler bball
all in one basketball conference.

Football and other cusa schools go into separate division never to be heard from again, with maybe 1 or 2 crossover games.

You would have 10 schools who regularly make the NCAA (MU, GU, Nova, Cinnci, Uconn, Memphis, Temple, ND, Xavier, Butler), lose Uconn and Cinnci and you still have 8 top 50 programs. ND is a pipe dream, but the sun-times did report it, so until proven otherwise they are still in the dream scenario.