PDA

View Full Version : Entertaining?

MUBasketball
12-11-2012, 10:00 AM
Listening to 1250 at work, and Bill Michaels just came on to preview his show which starts in a few minutes.

He's talking to Polzin (sp?) to discuss Badger hoops during the show. Mentioned he watched the game on Saturday and thought both teams looked like they were playing in quicksand, and "it wasn't an entertaining game to watch".

Interesting. I realize I'm a diehard and others on here are as well, so our opinions might be skewed. I'm wondering if the casual fan thought the same thing?

I thought it was highly entertaining, so I think he's nuts.

Thoughts?

Mucrisco
12-11-2012, 10:06 AM
Honestly, I thought it was an ugly game to watch. There was no flow to the game at all. Then again, games with Madison are usually hard to watch.

IWB
12-11-2012, 10:08 AM
There was a national guy that tweeted that the MU-Wisconsin game and one other game (can't remember) were low scoring, but he couldn't take his eyes off of either game.

First off, when MU beat UW, why would he be talking Badger basketball?
Second, knowing the Big Unit, I would wager that he didn't watch the game - if he did, 5 minutes max.

ge1974
12-11-2012, 10:17 AM
It was an intense game, for sure. The rowdy crowd and students helped (although the bad Badgerchant was unnecesary). It wasn't a "Rembrandt', as Al used to say . More like a "Picasso". However, it was still very entertaining.

mutpm
12-11-2012, 10:19 AM
I'm obviously biased towards MU, but I found the first half entertaining. The crowd was into it, there were some exciting plays, MU was very efficient on offense, and there was some flow to the game. The 2nd half seemed more disjointed.

The 1st half had 16 fouls and only 6 turnovers that were not forced by steals for 22 times the clock was stopped in 20 minutes. The 2nd half had 21 fouls and 8 turnovers not caused by steals. That created 29 times play was stopped. Throw in that both teams shot a combined 35.1% in the 2nd half and I can see where people didn't find it very entertaining.

MUfan12
12-11-2012, 10:20 AM
Honestly, I thought it was an ugly game to watch. There was no flow to the game at all. Then again, games with Madison are usually hard to watch.

A lot of that had to do with the way it was called, IMO. The refs called everything for stretches, and nothing for others. Hard to get much flow.

MUBasketball
12-11-2012, 10:31 AM
First off, when MU beat UW, why would he be talking Badger basketball?

Second, knowing the Big Unit, I would wager that he didn't watch the game - if he did, 5 minutes max.

No idea why he's talking Badger hoops and not MU...beyond frustrating. He's NFL around the clock.

Listening every day at work, I can guarantee Michaels hardly paid attention to the game, at best.

IWB
12-11-2012, 10:43 AM
Being a media celebrity of sorts in this state, you would think he would have requested credentials and actually gone to the game? Nope.

kneelb4zerg
12-11-2012, 10:52 AM
No idea why he's talking Badger hoops and not MU...beyond frustrating. He's NFL around the clock.

Listening every day at work, I can guarantee Michaels hardly paid attention to the game, at best.

You listen to Bill Michaels every day? godspeed...

IWB
12-11-2012, 10:55 AM
Being a media celebrity of sorts in this state, you would think he would have requested credentials and actually gone to the game? Nope.

Now that I think about it, the Marquette-Wisconsin game is the biggest college basketball game of the year in this state.....

WSSP - I did not see Bill Michaels there, nor did I see their morning show guys, nor did I see their mid day guys.

Gato78
12-11-2012, 11:03 AM
The WSSP intern was there.

IWB
12-11-2012, 11:06 AM
Yes, they always send interns for sound bytes.

TedBaxter
12-11-2012, 11:14 AM

You could say the same thing about Homer and his annoying partner Thunder. "Packers all the time".

Gato78
12-11-2012, 11:24 AM
I don't think the intern was in working mode, at least based on his postgame performance.

Yes, they always send interns for sound bytes.

MUBasketball
12-11-2012, 12:12 PM
You could say the same thing about Homer and his annoying partner Thunder. "Packers all the time".

Well, I do agree. NFL rules all in this country. But on other program's, they might on occassion talk college hoops a little bit. Michaels never does.

When he was interviewing Polzin during the program, Michaels said the game "was as plodding and methodical as any I've seen in a long time". I had to laugh at that comment. Likely the first college hoops game he watched all year. Real big sample size.

Mucrisco
12-11-2012, 12:24 PM
I'm obviously biased towards MU, but I found the first half entertaining. The crowd was into it, there were some exciting plays, MU was very efficient on offense, and there was some flow to the game. The 2nd half seemed more disjointed.

The 1st half had 16 fouls and only 6 turnovers that were not forced by steals for 22 times the clock was stopped in 20 minutes. The 2nd half had 21 fouls and 8 turnovers not caused by steals. That created 29 times play was stopped. Throw in that both teams shot a combined 35.1% in the 2nd half and I can see where people didn't find it very entertaining.

I thought the last eight minutes or so of the first half was like the second half. In fact, I told the guy I sit with, this is very ugly. Marquette should be increasing their lead, but they are keeping Wisconsin in it with their ugly play. There were fumbles and missed easy opportunities. There was about a four minute stretch in the second half where MU would make an amazing shot and Wisconsin responded right back. Then, they started coming back. Other than that, the game was ugly.

kneelb4zerg
12-11-2012, 12:28 PM
I'll tune in when the Unit drops his "bombshell" on the MU players'/nightclub scandal.

MUMac
12-11-2012, 12:57 PM
First - anyone that consistently (or ever) listens to the big tunic needs help. I am serious. This guy is one of the more ignorant sports commentators I ever heard. I would listen to the Packer talk back show while driving back from GB to Madison. I stopped counting at the mistakes he made. Far too many. He really has gone a long way with little sports knowledge and even less talent.

As for the MU-UW game, it was not a masterpiece. Mainly due to the impact of Burr on the festivities. The first half had flow. The 2nd half, when Burr inserted himself into the proceedings, lacked flow.

That said, I loved it for the punch/counter punch that took place. When UW would make a run, Junior would hit a dagger. MU made a run back and UW would hit a huge 3. That was definitely entertaining basketball.

TheSultan
12-11-2012, 03:18 PM
First - anyone that consistently (or ever) listens to the big tunic needs help. I am serious. This guy is one of the more ignorant sports commentators I ever heard. I would listen to the Packer talk back show while driving back from GB to Madison. I stopped counting at the mistakes he made. Far too many. He really has gone a long way with little sports knowledge and even less talent.

One year I was at a game at Lambeau, and driving back to Milwaukee listened to a Packer post game on TMJ with the Unit and Irvin Favre. (He died later that year.) It boggled the mind.

GOMU1104
12-11-2012, 08:18 PM
One year I was at a game at Lambeau, and driving back to Milwaukee listened to a Packer post game on TMJ with the Unit and Irvin Favre. (He died later that year.) It boggled the mind.

That was common. To be quite honest...a not-so-sober Big Irv could be quite entertaining after both wins and losses.