PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Article on Big East Catholic Schools

ge1974
12-11-2012, 07:43 AM
A brealk doesn't appear imminent but Big East basketball only schools are talking and expressing their displeasure with Tulane, etc.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/8735330/sources-big-east-direction-concerns-conference-catholic-schools

What about all the other sports? Some play baseball, some play lacrosse, some wrestle..etc? These have to be taken into consideration, as well.

MUBRACES
12-11-2012, 08:33 AM
there is an article posted on the JS about this as well....I wasn't a fan of the catholic league at first, but it has become apparent that the big east hasn't, and is continually not being aggressive and proactive, but instead has been consistently reactive. The additional fact that we know Cincinnati and UCONN will leave the league at the next chance, it is time we make a move without the big east. IF we could form a catholic league and bring in Xavier, SLU, Butler, Creighton, etc....That will be one heck of a basketball league....I would even try to throw it Gonzaga in that, even though it is a bit out of the geographic location of the rest of the schools. Of those schools.....we could still have 6-8 NCAA tourney teams a year

Goose85
12-11-2012, 08:42 AM
Gonzaga would never do it. Too expensive. Keep in mind that basketball only leagues barely bring in enough revenue to pay MU's top assistant coach. Travel costs will be a huge issue with a basketball only conference.

MUBRACES
12-11-2012, 09:06 AM
VCU would be another great option, maybe even ND would welcome a return back and once again free up their football to be completely independent

IWB
12-11-2012, 09:15 AM
Look at what is out there for further BCS expansion.....

1) "IF" the Big 10 adds two more ACC schools, the ACC will take Cincy and UConn and the Big East would likely implode.

2) "IF" the Big 10 adds two more ACC schools at the same time the SEC adds two more ACC schools and the Big XII takes 5-6 ACC schools, then the ACC would likely implode.

#1 is the likely reality, but #2 is a possibility - does anyone really want to get rid of all of this before knowing that #2 won't happen?

If the big conferences expand again, either the Big East or the ACC will die. What if the catholic schools leave for hoops only, and the ACC dies? Do you really want to be in a hoops only conference looking over at the Big East who then has Boston College, Syracuse, Pitt, Duke and Wake Forest?

In all likelihood it won't happen, but what if it did?

I just don't see how doing anything now is the answer.

Mark Miller
12-11-2012, 09:24 AM
One of the articles I read on Sunday's meeting mentioned a six-month timetable.

I would guess in six months we will know if the Big Ten is going to take two of the following schools ... Virginia, Georgia Tech, North Carolina. If the Big Ten does go to 16 (and it appears more and more likely that will happen), the ACC will then grab UConn and Cincy and the Big East is done.

Also in six months, we will know what the Big East TV deal is and how much the basketball schools will receive from the new contract.

This all seems to be heading in one direction -- a league of non-football playing basketball schools.

Should such a new league be formed, it is absolutely crucial that the right schools be invited to participate.

In my mind those schools would include ...

Marquette
DePaul
St. John's
Villanova
Georgetown
Seton Hall
Providence
Butler
Xavier
Saint Louis
Dayton
Creighton

ValiantSailor
12-11-2012, 09:25 AM
Speaking of realities and possibilities, does the fact that this meeting actually happened make it a fait accompli? It will happen; all that remains is the paperwork?

Seems to me that the seven Catholic schools were just asking questions, they would have kept the meeting secret.

VS

dw3dw3dw3
12-11-2012, 09:25 AM
Wow... if true... time to go!

MHver3 ‏@MHver3
Espn offering BE bball schools 2.5 million per year for all hoops league

dw3dw3dw3
12-11-2012, 09:27 AM
MHver3 ‏@MHver3
Mike T contacted by St Johns about coming back to be commissioner for this new league as it starts up

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
12-11-2012, 09:31 AM
I wouldn't expect it to happen soon, I think right now they are weighing options so they can decide when the right time is.as some have said on twitter though, this is a pretty good sign that the Big East TV deal did not come back as hoped, had it been good I don't think this meeting would have happened.

Mucrisco
12-11-2012, 09:35 AM
I think we use that pod idea, and go:
St John's
Nova
Gtown
Seton Hall

Providence
Xavier
Dayton
Butler

DePaul
Marquette
SLU
Creighton

BYU
San Diego St
Gonzaga
St Mary's

Play everyone in your division twice, and everyone else once. (I know, I know...travel costs...)

dw3dw3dw3
12-11-2012, 09:36 AM
If ESPN is driving this, it will be interesting to see who they select... I doubt it will have anything to do with being Catholic.

Also it seems unclear that the 7 schools have the right to dissolve the league since Temple may or may not have full voting rights already. There would be 4 football schools, thus preventing a break-up, unless UConn were to get an invite to the ACC.

Nukem2
12-11-2012, 09:37 AM

MHver3 ‏@MHver3
Espn offering BE bball schools 2.5 million per year for all hoops leagueThat would be interesting.

ge1974
12-11-2012, 09:38 AM
I agree with IWB and others that MU should take a "wait and see" approach. I'd go to a basketball only confernce only after the dust settles and before they lose their majority vote to dissolve. IWB is correct - there may not be an ACC by summer of 2014 and the remaining schools would have to go somewhere and the old Big East would be a logical choice. Don't forget, some of them have not officially left yet and can save their exit fees. I think I read somewhere that the Big East basketball only schools are meeting again today.

I don't know if MHver is right about the $ 2.5 million. He has been all over the map with some of his conference speculation; albeit very interesting to read.

dw3dw3dw3
12-11-2012, 09:43 AM
I agree with IWB and others that MU should take a "wait and see" approach. I'd go to a basketball only confernce only after the dust settles and before they lose their majority vote to dissolve. IWB is correct - there may not be an ACC by summer of 2014 and the remaining schools would have to go somewhere and the old Big East would be a logical choice. Don't forget, some of them have not officially left yet and can save their exit fees. I think I read somewhere that the Big East basketball only schools are meeting again today.

I don't know if MHver is right about the $ 2.5 million. He has been all over the map with some of his conference speculation; albeit very interesting to read.

Problem is that even with Mass defections, the ACC would still have the power when it comes to picking up teams. The 4 or 5 programs they have left in a scenario where they get gutted all at the same time far exceeds any value of 4 or 5 football programs that the Big East could put together. The more likely slow trickle of teams being pulled away from the ACC would cause them to just slowly take away UConn, Cinncinati, USF, Memphis, Temple, etc...

IWB
12-11-2012, 09:44 AM

MHver3 ‏@MHver3
Espn offering BE bball schools 2.5 million per year for all hoops league

Need clarification - $2.5 total or $2.5 per school?

$2.5 million split between a potential 12 schools is $208k per school per year. That is less than Issac Chew's salary. Nowhere near enough to move on.
Now, if it was $2.5 mil per school per year - get it done.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
12-11-2012, 09:44 AM
Even if the ACC breaks up that still leaves a bunch of football playing schools, most of which deserted us already. If that league lost UNC, Clemson, FSU, UVa, GT, and one other that would still leave them with some decent schools, they would add what's left of the decent BEast schools that play football and call it a day, the basketball schools still wouldn't get invited. I am really beginning to think we need to find a home that is full of like minded others and not football schools.

dw3dw3dw3
12-11-2012, 09:46 AM
MHver has been all over the map, but his stuff is interesting nonetheless. The 2.5 is reportedly per school as IWB asked him. Also noted that UConn/Cinnci may have an ACC landing spot and thus could vote to dissolve as well in order to pay out any fees.

IWB
12-11-2012, 09:47 AM
I hit up MHver and he said it is $2.5 per school. If that is true, go for it now.

My guess is that ESPN is looking at paying the Big East $60 mil for entire package, or $30 for hoops only. Knowing that the only desired schools left will head to other conferences, they will save themselves $30 mil.

So ESPN's goal to destroy the Big East is working.

dw3dw3dw3
12-11-2012, 09:49 AM
Another thing is the benefit of having ESPN broker the deal... since they are the ACC partner you would think there is much less a chance that GTown/St Johns would move to the ACC if they wanted to beef up their basketball side.

TulsaWarrior
12-11-2012, 10:08 AM
How much of the plan to break up the Big East was cooked up in an ESPN smoke filled room in Bristol? OK, perhaps it wasn't smoke filled. Lets see the discussion went something like this, "Those BE schools rejected our contract offer and think they have us over a barrel. They think we have to go into a bidding war with Fox, CBS and NBC. We'll pick off BE schools one by one. Who are the least ethical BE school president's? We can start there.":cool:

ge1974
12-11-2012, 10:13 AM
I'd still wait. I don't think the ACC will gain enough with adding UCONN, Cincy, USF and the others.

The onlly "old" ACC schools left would be Wake Forest and Duke. North Carolina is the key school, IMO. If they stay, the ACC can survive. If they leave, then bye-bye ACC.

I think we still need to be in a league with a dichotomy of schools. Being in all-Catholic league could result in decresed viewership, finger pointing and cries of prejudice by both Catholic and non-Catholics when NCAA bids, for example are handed out, rankings, invites to non-conference tournies, officiating, etc.. Use your own imagine. Perhaps adding some non-Catholic schools like Butler, UMASS, Richmond and Charlotte would ease that label. However, only Butler excites me from this group.

IWB
12-11-2012, 10:49 AM
Being in all-Catholic league could result in decresed viewership, finger pointing and cries of prejudice by both Catholic and non-Catholics when NCAA bids, for example are handed out, rankings, invites to non-conference tournies, officiating, etc.. Use your own imagine.

Someone in one of the threads mentioned not liking the "basketball only" comment. I agree, while these schools do not have football, they are not "basketball only". In the same light, even though I was born and raised catholic, for some reason it bothers me when I see the headlines on ESPN "Catholic Schools may vote to..." Yes, the schools are Catholic, but this whole deal has nothing to do with religion, it is about conference realignment.

Markedman
12-11-2012, 11:01 AM
Another good article

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/8735643/did-big-east-core-catholic-basketball-schools-wake-college-basketball

MUMac
12-11-2012, 12:49 PM
Someone in one of the threads mentioned not liking the "basketball only" comment. I agree, while these schools do not have football, they are not "basketball only". In the same light, even though I was born and raised catholic, for some reason it bothers me when I see the headlines on ESPN "Catholic Schools may vote to..." Yes, the schools are Catholic, but this whole deal has nothing to do with religion, it is about conference realignment.

I think that is becaues most of the high major basketball schools that do not have football are Catholic institutions.

dw3dw3dw3
12-11-2012, 01:06 PM
Add another option.. 21 team A-10

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/8736716/atlantic-10-open-adding-big-east-basketball-schools-creating-21-team-conference-source

Seems like wishful thinking on the A-10 part. This only seems plausible if the Big East can't get the votes to dissolve. While there are some good teams, there is a lot to be desired at the bottom of this league.

unclejohn
12-11-2012, 01:42 PM

Yes, but all the schools involved are Catholic. It is part of their identity. And even from an athletic point of view, there is a tradition of Catholic universities, particularly urban ones, with good basketball teams. I do not have a problem with that being mentioned. Whether the eventual conference that is formed is made up of all Catholic schools or not does not seem to me to be all that important. Most of the schools in it are going to be Catholic, and that is going to be part of its identity. I do not think it has hurt the West Coast Conference all that much, and it did not keep BYU from fitting in, aside from the fact that they cannot schedule games on Sundays.

IrwinFletcher
12-11-2012, 04:11 PM
Another good article

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/8735643/did-big-east-core-catholic-basketball-schools-wake-college-basketball

I am not sure if this was a good article or not. Really rehashes a year long arugument and offers no solutions. Just because the Presidents and AD's of these 7 universities haven't been holding Press Conferences, it is assumed that they aren't doing anything.

As pointed out, non football playing schools are powerless right now and on the verge of being irrelevant. The only leverage the Big East has right now is some revenue sitting out there from exit fees and Tournament revenues. Because of these, it is prudent to wait and see what happens.

Even if the ACC expands and grabs UC and UConn, maybe Boise and SDSU back out and the other football teams bolt and voila, we have our basketball only conference, we keep the Big East name and the remaining basketball schools collect a TON of cash.

IWB
12-11-2012, 06:27 PM
Guys - I know that all seven schools are Catholic, and I don't have any issues with that, but repeatedly saying it can paint those schools into a corner.

As GE said, "Being in all-Catholic league could result in decresed viewership, finger pointing and cries of prejudice by both Catholic and non-Catholics".

IrwinFletcher
12-11-2012, 06:32 PM
Guys - I know that all seven schools are Catholic, and I don't have any issues with that, but repeatedly saying it can paint those schools into a corner.

As GE said, "Being in all-Catholic league could result in decresed viewership, finger pointing and cries of prejudice by both Catholic and non-Catholics".

Sadly, in this day and age, this might be true.

Of course, you could go the other way. Have the Vatican sponsor the league, all teams have crosses on their uniforms, have team prayers before the game and refuse to ever hire Kevin O'Neill....

TedBaxter
12-11-2012, 07:19 PM
I was looking at Kenpom to see what the current rankings are for some of the rumored teams and only one school was outside the current top 100 and that was DePaul at 106. All of the BCS conferences (ACC, Big 10, Big 12, SEC, Pac 12) had teams above the 150 mark.

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
12-11-2012, 09:59 PM
I was looking at Kenpom to see what the current rankings are for some of the rumored teams and only one school was outside the current top 100 and that was DePaul at 106. All of the BCS conferences (ACC, Big 10, Big 12, SEC, Pac 12) had teams above the 150 mark.

Yup. This league wouldn't necessarily have the quantity of top teams that the B1G and ACC do, but you could legitimately talk about 5-8 bids. As long as teams did well in the non-con, I could see 8-10 records in this league being good enough to get on the bubble and maybe get in. It would be a tough league, and one that would allow the Big East name to keep some legitimacy.