PDA

View Full Version : Big East TV Deal Rumor...

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
12-06-2012, 03:43 PM
Tweets are flying around about the new Big East TV deal, we should know soon:

@McMurphyESPN: Based on @dennisdoddcbs $60M Big East deal: $4.06M each for full members; $3M each for FB only; $1.06M for non-FB schools

Gato78
12-06-2012, 03:46 PM
Not a lot of incentive to keep the conference together, relatively speaking. The BB only conference cannot do worse.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
12-06-2012, 03:57 PM
That is not a very good deal at all, I disagree though, a basketball conference could very well do worse, look at the A10... It might be close, but what is stopping the BBall only teams from just asking around to TV execs and saying, "so IF we were to do this, what do you think this might get us? Could we beat the BE deal?"

Markedman
12-06-2012, 04:27 PM
Brian Murphy ‏@murphsturph
Big East commish on TV $: "When you see reports on TV and revenue, just ignore it. ... Haven’t talked to any networks yet about valuations"

IWB
12-06-2012, 06:27 PM
Big East hoops only teams would not get better than the deal with football.

Sure looks like a hell of a lot less than the original $1.4 Billion offer from ESPN, doesn't it? I still would love to know why that was turned down, and who convinced everyone to turn it down.

Markedman
12-06-2012, 06:59 PM
First time I've heard anything about this

http://www.newsday.com/sports/college/big-east-still-optimistic-for-good-tv-deal-1.4301737

If they do hang together, it's likely the traditional Big East basketball schools will see more of each other and play fewer games against the expansion members. Aresco said the league is considering a scheduling model where "brand name" teams such as St. John's, Georgetown, Villanova, Marquette and Connecticut might play more home-and-home series.

"The media companies really like that idea, and so do our basketball schools," Aresco said. "Our southern cluster of schools understand they're going to raise their brand awareness because of Big East basketball. So, if there are more games among the other teams, they can work with that. It's the kind of thing that will strengthen our conference."

TheSultan
12-06-2012, 07:33 PM
I can live with that type of scheduling arrangement.

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
12-06-2012, 08:29 PM
That is not a very good deal at all, I disagree though, a basketball conference could very well do worse, look at the A10... It might be close, but what is stopping the BBall only teams from just asking around to TV execs and saying, "so IF we were to do this, what do you think this might get us? Could we beat the BE deal?"

Even making 1.06M per year would be more than double what the A10 gets per team. It certainly wouldn't be ideal, but it could be worse.

However, IMHO, it's time for the football and basketball numbers to start getting a bit closer together. Right now, four of the top five teams in the Big East football standings are leaving. Without Louisville, Rutgers, Pitt, and Syracuse, the draw for Big East football is significantly lower. And considering the draw WITH those four is already pretty low, that's simply bad. The basketball-only schools are keeping this conference alive. Time to demand a bigger share of the pie. Football may drive the bus, but in this conference, we're controlling the pedals.

MU/Panther
12-07-2012, 12:52 PM
I can live with that type of scheduling arrangement.

Me too! UConn, Cincy, St. john's, G'town, DePaul, PC & V'nova always at the Bradley Center works for me!!

MU/Panther
12-08-2012, 09:17 AM
Big East hoops only teams would not get better than the deal with football.

Sure looks like a hell of a lot less than the original $1.4 Billion offer from ESPN, doesn't it? I still would love to know why that was turned down, and who convinced everyone to turn it down. Pitt, didn't like the first deal.