PDA

View Full Version : Say what you will...

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
12-05-2012, 11:28 PM
But it appears that this year moreso than other years I can remember that outside the top 10 ranked teams there is some real parity. When you look at some of the other games being played there are a lot of teams struggling. I saw Seth Davis tweeted that he doesn't know that MU will be a tourney team this year, but I'm thinking that this year there is a real opportunity for teams with softer résumés... Obviously there is a lot to be determined, but right now it looks like its going to be a real soft bubble this year. Unfortunately I think MU will be on that bubble all year, but beating Wisconsin (another bubble team IMO) will help.

BLT
12-06-2012, 08:20 AM
Despite what the big football conferences are doing with their money grab, parity in college basketball has created a much better and more engaging product, and is more profitable for the schools. Anything can happen or any team can win in a given night, creating more buzz and fan interest. With the NCAA tournament and RPI, every game matters. NCAA basketball = NFL football because of parity. BCS football = MLB and only big market teams matter.

IrwinFletcher
12-06-2012, 08:41 AM
It is also interesting in CBB that a program can go through ups and downs moreso in football. Look at Villanova right now. They were a perennial top 15 team and now they will go two straight years without making the tournament. High profile coach, school and program and they are struggling. There is no way a Butler type of football team would be able to play for the National Championship in football and I think that makes CBB more attractive to the average fan.

The only time that really happens in football is when there are sanctions against the school that limits scholarships and recruiting. Occasionally a school will make a bad hire that hurts the program (Michigan with Rodriguez for ex) but by and large, it is the same programs time in and time out.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
12-06-2012, 03:35 PM
I think Jay Wright is going to be on the hot seat real soon... That being said while that is what makes CBB more exciting for me there is no way you can say that CBB is more popular than CFB, TV ratings are not even close.

TheSultan
12-06-2012, 04:36 PM
But it appears that this year moreso than other years I can remember that outside the top 10 ranked teams there is some real parity. When you look at some of the other games being played there are a lot of teams struggling. I saw Seth Davis tweeted that he doesn't know that MU will be a tourney team this year, but I'm thinking that this year there is a real opportunity for teams with softer résumés... Obviously there is a lot to be determined, but right now it looks like its going to be a real soft bubble this year. Unfortunately I think MU will be on that bubble all year, but beating Wisconsin (another bubble team IMO) will help.

Another way to look at this is that college basketball isn't all that good this year. Honestly, outside of Marquette, I have seen a lot of games that are hard to watch. I do think things will start to sort themselves out as the conference seasons begin however.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
12-06-2012, 05:13 PM
True... NBA Execs are saying this is one to the weakest draft classes they have ever seen.