PDA

View Full Version : Twitter blowing up about Ga. Tech to the Big Ten(15??)

MU_Iceman
11-30-2012, 07:46 PM
If this happens(and it sounds like it's going to, then all hell breaks loose. I think you'll see Clemson and FSU go to the BXII, and UNC go to the SEC, and another ACC school go to the Big to give them 16 teams. I wonder if Pitt, Cuse and UL will regret all this when it's all said and done?? I still wouldn't mind a merger of the remaining Acc schools with the BE once the dust settles. That wouldn't be a bad move at all for MU.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
11-30-2012, 08:33 PM
I haven't seen a single tweet about it and I follow all the major sources... That being said its likely going to happen soon no matter what, the ATL market is huge and I'm sure the B10 is salivating over it...

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
11-30-2012, 08:35 PM
Did see this posted, not that it means a helluva lot...

http://blogs.ajc.com/georgia-tech-sports/2012/11/30/griffin-speaks-against-tech-big-ten-rumors/

MU_Iceman
11-30-2012, 08:50 PM
Clemson 247 @Tim_Matty247 Sources are indicating that the #B1G has approved #GT as its 15th member. Stay tuned.. @CFravel247 @Clemson247

VTScoop247 ‏@VTScoop247
#Hokies rumors that the B1G (Big 10) has approved Georgia Tech for membership. Get ready for some fireworks if true...

Ohio State Football ‏@TheShoeAtOSU
Several sources say Big Ten has approved #GeorgiaTech to the BIG. They will be number 15 #B1G #B1Ghaters

Lamont Broadus ‏@TheSportologist
Sources say #GeorgiaTech maybe the latest team to join the #BigTen #College #Sports #followme #follow #lateshttp://instagr.am/p/SpuuOJFivQ/

IWB
11-30-2012, 09:03 PM
Not a total surprise - I was told three weeks ago that Maryland was headed to the Big 10, and I was told that Ga Tech was contemplating - Maryland came true days later, along with Rutgers - when that happened I was told that offers were extended to UNC & UVA, and that if either blinked, Ga Tech would be the one - boom - now the pressure is on Notre Dame - The Big 10 wants them bad - question is, will ND take it or will UNC or UVA? Don't rule out Texas either.

This all blows big time

bleedbluegold03
11-30-2012, 09:18 PM
the ends will justify the means. the big east will burn and from it a bball league will come to fruition. I am ok with that

MU_Iceman
11-30-2012, 09:45 PM
Not a total surprise - I was told three weeks ago that Maryland was headed to the Big 10, and I was told that Ga Tech was contemplating - Maryland came true days later, along with Rutgers - when that happened I was told that offers were extended to UNC & UVA, and that if either blinked, Ga Tech would be the one - boom - now the pressure is on Notre Dame - The Big 10 wants them bad - question is, will ND take it or will UNC or UVA? Don't rule out Texas either.

This all blows big time

IWB, is there any chance at all now that the ACC implodes, and the remaining schools that have nowhere to go(Duke, Wake, etc) could possibly merge with the reamining BE schools and for a league that way?? Be kind of ironic if MU found themselves right back in a league with Cuse, Pitt, UL and throw in Duke?? Where do i sign up for that??

MU_Iceman
11-30-2012, 09:53 PM
@Mr_KevinJones:
Source Georgia Tech and UVA will announce decision to leave ACC by Monday. Will join join Big 10

dw3dw3dw3
11-30-2012, 10:49 PM
IWB, is there any chance at all now that the ACC implodes, and the remaining schools that have nowhere to go(Duke, Wake, etc) could possibly merge with the reamining BE schools and for a league that way?? Be kind of ironic if MU found themselves right back in a league with Cuse, Pitt, UL and throw in Duke?? Where do i sign up for that??

I think this is more of a reality for Georgetown/St Johns/Nova. MU would need to prove its value, most likely in conjunction with Depaul, to an east cost conference. We've done well proving ourselves, but our theoretically more valuable brothers to the south aren't doing us any favors in this scenario. No matter what, The ACC leftovers will have more clout than what is left of the Big East. I can't see a scenario where the big east survives and the ACC doesn't unless there's a mad dash next week for 8 schools.
If an armeggedon scenario happens, that may cause pause to additional incoming schools, but I don't think it ultimately stops schools from joining the gutted ACC.

BC
Clemson - B12?
Duke
Fstate - B12?
GTech - B10?
Maryland - B10
Miami - B12?
N Car - B12?
NC State - B12?
Virginia - B10?
V Tech - B12?
Wake

Ville - incoming
Cuse - incoming
Pitt - incoming

If they were gutted and left with Ville, Cuse, Pitt, Duke, Wake, and BC... that core would top anything the Big East could put together, and let them pick whomever they want to fill out. Football schools Uconn, Memphis, Cinci, USF would jump tomorrow to play in that conference as would any of the basketball only schools.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
11-30-2012, 11:03 PM
I can see a scenerio where all the remaining ACC, and Big East football schools align under the ACC name, heck it's pretty much already happened, but what makes us so sure they will bring us and the other basketball schools along? They certainly won't go under the big east name as they don't want all the garbage like Tulane there. Therefore MU, Georgetown, Nova, Seton Hall, St. John's and Providence might STILL be in the cold.

warriorfan4life
12-01-2012, 12:01 AM
I just hope that DePaul is not attached at our hip. Their mom and pop shop administration and ridiculous contract to Oliver Purnell should banish them to the Horizon League/Missouri Valley if it means Marquette gets into the ACC. I think the basketball schools will end up all together, in a conference with much more potential then many people want to believe. However, no reason that MU should bypass an opportunity to improve our lot in life because our old friend cannot make it at this level.

MayorBeluga
12-01-2012, 08:13 AM
Marquette would leave DePaul behind in a heartbeat. Unfortunately, G'Town, Nova and St Johns will leave MU behind just as quickly. The biggest advantage MU has in a possible ACC move to add hoops schools is, amazingly, the backing of ND. They were our biggest advocates in joining the Big East.

dw3dw3dw3
12-01-2012, 08:43 AM
Really... that's interesting, never heard that before..... I would assume since we are a geographic outlier to the ACC another team would have to join with us to make it feasible for multi-stop road trips for non-revenue sports. Depaul unfortunately is the only team to fit that description around here though.

Nukem2
12-01-2012, 09:19 AM
Marquette would leave DePaul behind in a heartbeat. Unfortunately, G'Town, Nova and St Johns will leave MU behind just as quickly. The biggest advantage MU has in a possible ACC move to add hoops schools is, amazingly, the backing of ND. They were our biggest advocates in joining the Big East.ACC wants only teams in the Eastern time zone........

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
12-01-2012, 09:29 AM
I'm telling you if the ACC and Big East merge it will again be about football and the basketball only teams will again be left out, it's a sad reality but everyone keeps getting these illusions that some how it's all going to change and we will end up getting invited somewhere.

If 4 ACC schools leave they will bring on UCONN, Cincinnati, USF, and another football school. The end result here is going to be that Marquette and the other basketball only schools have two options, either stay in what's left of the Big East, or move on and create their own type of basketball conference. As has been debated there are quite a few reasons why basketball only right now is a bad idea, so they will likely wait for more payouts and more movement is done.

bleedbluegold03
12-01-2012, 09:38 AM
moving forward I will only comment on conference realignment with GIFs until something actually moves forward in the cbb only end game

Big Easy defectors as they attempt to run off to the ACC

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mc463zWKlH1r3gb3zo2_400.gif

IrwinFletcher
12-01-2012, 09:58 AM
I'm telling you if the ACC and Big East merge it will again be about football and the basketball only teams will again be left out, it's a sad reality but everyone keeps getting these illusions that some how it's all going to change and we will end up getting invited somewhere.

If 4 ACC schools leave they will bring on UCONN, Cincinnati, USF, and another football school. The end result here is going to be that Marquette and the other basketball only schools have two options, either stay in what's left of the Big East, or move on and create their own type of basketball conference. As has been debated there are quite a few reasons why basketball only right now is a bad idea, so they will likely wait for more payouts and more movement is done.

The irony here is that if GT, UVA, FSU and say VT leave and the above schools are added, the ACC will in effect become......

The Big East. Yup, the same Big East they tried to rip up with the aid of ESPN. Syracuse, Pitt, Louisville, UC, UConn, USF, Duke, Wake, Miami, BC, NC, NC St and Clemson. Anything jump out here and excite you? Clemson is the only team in the current BCS Top 25 out of this group.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
12-01-2012, 10:02 AM
I think that's very ironic... What would be real interesting is if the Big 10 some how coaxes Texas into coming, then all hell breaks loose, does the ACC then poach B12 schools? Or vice versa...

I think if Texas leaves a couple schools will head to the PAC 12 to make it 16, then the remaining B12 schools fill in the holes that the ACC will have from losing to the SEC and B10... The one conference will remain of all the misfit toys of the Big East, and B12.

Mucrisco
12-01-2012, 10:05 AM

No one answered my question yet. I'm not asking to make a point. I'm wondering so I can understand our options. If we were to wait this out, just so we can collect money, don't we have to keep adding crappy Bball schools like Tulane that have football? Isn't the point that for a limited window, the basketball schools will have the voting majority? Once Boise St, Houston, etc come in, they have voting rights, correct? So, if a football school like UConn or Cincy leave, instead of just going elsewhere, like the pro hybrid guys want, won't they just vote to add more football schools since they have the voting majority? How will the Bball schools break away then, if they don't have the voting majority? I understand why people want to sty to collect money, but what if we are stuck in a crappy conference. Will we just be collecting that money so we can buy out of it? Then where do we go?

MU_Iceman
12-01-2012, 10:35 AM
No one answered my question yet. I'm not asking to make a point. I'm wondering so I can understand our options. If we were to wait this out, just so we can collect money, don't we have to keep adding crappy Bball schools like Tulane that have football? Isn't the point that for a limited window, the basketball schools will have the voting majority? Once Boise St, Houston, etc come in, they have voting rights, correct? So, if a football school like UConn or Cincy leave, instead of just going elsewhere, like the pro hybrid guys want, won't they just vote to add more football schools since they have the voting majority? How will the Bball schools break away then, if they don't have the voting majority? I understand why people want to sty to collect money, but what if we are stuck in a crappy conference. Will we just be collecting that money so we can buy out of it? Then where do we go?

I believe this is the inherent danger Crisco. The problem is, since all of this is about money, and the BB only schools are now going to be the ones to suffer the most, they too will "take the money" and wait this out to collect the $$$ from all the departing schools, then AFTER the check has been cashed, look to get out. You're right, the problem is, they may keep adding crappy basketball schools, but I guess the gamble or thought by the BB schools would be that they could be gone before they ever had to play a Tulane or SMU. Not sure where they would go, or how the details would all work, but it's something I hope that Larry is staying on top of. MAYBE just MAYBE with LW being well connected to Notre Dame, maybe things could end up better for MU then some other BB only schools, if ND can somehow throw around their weight, and get MU in a safe place, but I'm not betting on it. What IF, and this is a HUGE reach, but what if ND tells the BIG, ok, we'll join the conference as a full member...BUT we want Marquette as well. You don't think the BIG wouldn't jump all over that?? Anyway to get ND.

Mucrisco
12-01-2012, 10:57 AM
But, in order to collect the NCAA tourney money, they'd have to stay in the league for five or six more years. In the meantime, the football schools hold the voting majority correct? They would just vote to add more crappy Bball schools with football right? Or are people hoping they just decide to leave? Where do they go?

dw3dw3dw3
12-01-2012, 12:37 PM
You have to wonder if all of the 2013 recruiting class would have signed if all of this was happening a month earlier. In addition, things better stabilize before summer or Looney and others may be just a dream in 2014.

dw3dw3dw3
12-01-2012, 12:40 PM
I believe this is the inherent danger Crisco. The problem is, since all of this is about money, and the BB only schools are now going to be the ones to suffer the most, they too will "take the money" and wait this out to collect the $$$ from all the departing schools, then AFTER the check has been cashed, look to get out. You're right, the problem is, they may keep adding crappy basketball schools, but I guess the gamble or thought by the BB schools would be that they could be gone before they ever had to play a Tulane or SMU. Not sure where they would go, or how the details would all work, but it's something I hope that Larry is staying on top of. MAYBE just MAYBE with LW being well connected to Notre Dame, maybe things could end up better for MU then some other BB only schools, if ND can somehow throw around their weight, and get MU in a safe place, but I'm not betting on it. What IF, and this is a HUGE reach, but what if ND tells the BIG, ok, we'll join the conference as a full member...BUT we want Marquette as well. You don't think the BIG wouldn't jump all over that?? Anyway to get ND.

Well LW would suddenly be a little more popular if that happened.

TedBaxter
12-01-2012, 12:48 PM

I agree it's a HUGE reach and I don't think there's a chance of MU ever being invited to the Big Ten or any other conference that has a football focus.

TheSultan
12-01-2012, 03:57 PM
What IF, and this is a HUGE reach, but what if ND tells the BIG, ok, we'll join the conference as a full member...BUT we want Marquette as well. You don't think the BIG wouldn't jump all over that?? Anyway to get ND.

1. ND would never make that ultimatum
2. The Big 10 would never take it anyway

If the Big 10 was that willing to get ND, why won't they alter their revenue distribution to allow ND to keep its own TV deal? The Big 10 will only accept them under the conferences terms.

MUMac
12-01-2012, 04:15 PM
What IF, and this is a HUGE reach, but what if ND tells the BIG, ok, we'll join the conference as a full member...BUT we want Marquette as well. You don't think the BIG wouldn't jump all over that?? Anyway to get ND.

You mean like they did when we moved with them from the BE to the ACC?

TheSultan
12-01-2012, 04:49 PM
You mean like they did when we moved with them from the BE to the ACC?

Good point.