IWB
11-29-2012, 08:41 PM
Rough going so far - I would like to see Davante at least TRY to get a rebound

kneelb4zerg
11-29-2012, 08:42 PM
Or Jamil go stronger to the basket.

MUMac
11-29-2012, 08:47 PM
I was really expecting a breakout year from Jamil. Disappointed so far, as he has way too much talent to play like he has.

This game is getting out of hand right now. Florida has several 3 point shooters, Marquette none.

MayorBeluga
11-29-2012, 08:51 PM
Jamil looks great against lesser talented teams but lost against good teams. Kind of like Vander last year.

MUMac
11-29-2012, 08:51 PM
Vander really looks good, especially coming off the knee injury. By far MU's best player on the court. Really nice to see the year he is putting together.

Nukem2
11-29-2012, 08:54 PM
Real issue is getting out and defending the 3. Can't keep overplaying the ball. FL has lots of trey shooters.

GOMU1104
11-29-2012, 08:54 PM
Not sure what the point of that 2-3 zone was.

Davante and Chris are overmatched.

Patric Young is a bad dude.

Florida is a really really good team. Top 5, maybe better. Even if we get smoked, fans really shouldn't be that disappointed.

kneelb4zerg
11-29-2012, 08:56 PM
Jamil looks great against lesser talented teams but lost against good teams. Kind of like Vander last year.

Nonsense, but he's not playing well tonight. This is his first year of being a featured scorer, give him some time.

IrwinFletcher
11-29-2012, 08:58 PM
Not sure what the point of that 2-3 zone was.

Davante and Chris are overmatched.

Patric Young is a bad dude.

Florida is a really really good team. Top 5, maybe better. Even if we get smoked, fans really shouldn't be that disappointed.

Not that i was expecting a win, but I was not expecting a Marquette team coached by Buzz to look scared, tentative, unprepared and completely lost. Disappointed that we look poor, not that we are losing.

TedBaxter
11-29-2012, 09:00 PM
Reminds me a little of the Vanderbilt game last year. No organization on the offensive end and I'll Florida some credit for that, but too much dibbling and not enough ball movement or players moving off of the ball. Want to see how this team responds in the second half.

kneelb4zerg
11-29-2012, 09:02 PM
Florida is doing a great job of denying Davante in the post and doubling him to force him to get rid of the ball.

MayorBeluga
11-29-2012, 09:03 PM
Nonsense, but he's not playing well tonight. This is his first year of being a featured scorer, give him some time.

Just reread my post. It certainly looks harsher than intended. Still think Jamil has he chance to be the man this year, tonight's early struggles notwithstanding.

Nukem2
11-29-2012, 09:15 PM
Difficult game when ya can't score........

Markedman
11-29-2012, 09:15 PM
Our offense is.....horrible is the nicest term I can come up with.......We aren't going to break 50.......wow

MUMac
11-29-2012, 09:18 PM
MU desperately needs a threat from 3 land. Mayo could have been that guy. That get's exposed against a team like Florida, who has height and athletes. I would like to see Jake take some, but he passes them up.

Ted, excellent comment about Vandy last year. Many a fan gave up the ship, at least for a moment, after that game.

TedBaxter
11-29-2012, 09:19 PM
They've been letting stuff go all night and they call 2 fouls like that? Wow.

IWB
11-29-2012, 09:21 PM
Agree Ted, Florida is beating the crap out of Davante, yet they call touch fouls on MU

Markedman
11-29-2012, 09:22 PM
Lack of go to scorers really show up in a game like this. Nowhere to hide against an excellent team on the road.......

MUMac
11-29-2012, 09:28 PM
Tough, tough, tough night for Junior tonight.

Markedman
11-29-2012, 09:30 PM
Its a layup line out there. Florida is so much quickewr then we are at every position outside of Vander.

MUMac
11-29-2012, 09:33 PM
Its a layup line out there. Florida is so much quickewr then we are at every position outside of Vander.

This game shows the weakness of Gardner. He can't guard and the long arms, athleticism of Young exposes his lack of athleticism. Still, I would like to see him get a body on someone once and try to grab a rebound.

Markedman
11-29-2012, 09:40 PM
Serious lack of toughness.......Buzz isn't going to be happy with this effort.....

Halo
11-29-2012, 09:43 PM
Has MU beaten a SEC team under Buzz? This is awful. On to Wisconsin.

TedBaxter
11-29-2012, 09:43 PM
Ass whoopin.

MUMac
11-29-2012, 09:48 PM
Has MU beaten a SEC team under Buzz? This is awful. On to Wisconsin.

Ahem, Maui. And last year Miss. State.

MUMac
11-29-2012, 09:50 PM
I blame Blue for this one. Since he scored half MU's points, he needed to score 40 by now. Then MU would be in the lead.

MayorBeluga
11-29-2012, 09:53 PM
Ass whoopin.

We were beaten like a rented red-headed step-mule.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
11-29-2012, 09:55 PM
Hopefully this gets us pissed off for Wisky...

MUMac
11-29-2012, 09:55 PM
When Derrick Wilson doubles up Jamil Wilson's points, MU is in trouble. MU needs more than 3 from Jamil in a game like this. He has had a tough stat line tonight.

The starting front line has shot 3-16, with a combined 8 points.

Markedman
11-29-2012, 09:57 PM
They are bigger, stronger, faster and more skilled.......not sure how you compete when that is the case.

The influx of talent next year is needed especially on the perimeter. Obviously the young guys will struggle but at least they have upside.

Nukem2
11-29-2012, 10:01 PM
Ouch.........!!!

MUMac
11-29-2012, 10:03 PM
Hopefully Mayo get's his academics in order. This team needs another scorer. Badly.

kneelb4zerg
11-29-2012, 10:04 PM
Well I certainly hoped for a better effort. But I don't bet against Buzz in situations like this. They've had much worse losses in years past. Hopefully Buzz can get these guys to learn from it in the right way.

MUMac
11-29-2012, 10:06 PM
Well I certainly hoped for a better effort. But I don't bet against Buzz in situations like this. They've had much worse losses in years past. Hopefully Buzz can get these guys to learn from it in the right way.

It seemed as though Buzz was more quiet in the 2nd half. Less coaching. Likely making a point to the guys. I suspect he will use this properly. How the team responds next week will be telling for the direction the team takes.

kneelb4zerg
11-29-2012, 10:15 PM
I realize this is the worst loss by point differential...but Florida is an awesome team. I remember getting destroyed by a mediocre Dayton team in Buzz year 1.

MUBasketball
11-29-2012, 10:18 PM
Beyond disappointing to have a performance like that on national television. :mad:

Nothing is worse than the egg in the Final Four...Vandy last year? Looking for something comparable. This was bad. I was pretty calm at halftime. I thought they'd fight in the 2nd half and be down like 8-12 most of the way. Unbelievable how awful that performance was.

Halo
11-29-2012, 10:21 PM
Ahem, Maui. And last year Miss. State.

Whoops. Didn't think of them. Just Vandy, LSU and Florida.

Quiet flight home I am sure.

Markedman
11-29-2012, 10:21 PM
Louisville in the BE tourny was ugly......close to 30 turnovers I think it was.

IWB
11-29-2012, 10:29 PM
The good

Florida is one of the best teams I have seen in a while.
Vander played a solid game and refused to give up. even when down by 30 with 2:00 mins to go.

The bad

Very poor performance by MU.
Allowing Florida to shoot over 50% from the field.
Patric Young recording a double double despite playing only 22 minutes.
How did Florida only commit 9 fouls during this game?

The Ugly - Where do I start?

14 turnovers.
Being outrebounded 37-23.
Otule, Gardner and Taylor combining for 3 rebounds. (Davante's was off of a missed free throw)
Junior and Derrick combining for only 4 assists.
Jamil Wilson - 1-8 from field, 3 points, 5 turnovers.
Team was 4-9 from ft line.

This one won't be hanging on the door.....

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
11-29-2012, 10:32 PM
Just a bad game all around... Vander can be excused but the rest of the team had a piss poor showing, they need to be better come next Saturday.

That being said how they rebound from this could be the story of the season, hopefully they come out swinging

Markedman
11-29-2012, 10:44 PM
UW game has become very important for both teams with the way they have played so far......

TedBaxter
11-30-2012, 06:13 AM
Stats of the game:

Starters Chris Otule, Jamil Wilson, Junior Cadougan and Trent Lockett combined for 10 points. Florida outrebounded MU 37-23.

I'll find consolation in this game in that it counts as only 1 loss and that there aren't 3 better teams right now nationally than Florida.

MU_Iceman
11-30-2012, 06:56 AM
I hate getting an ass whoopin like this, but it might be exactly what they need to batter Bucky Saturday. I'd rather they have this game now then next Saturday. That's the big one. Get that one and all is right in the world again.

DCwarrior
11-30-2012, 07:45 AM
Our guards (especially at point) and wings are not very good outside shooters and with the exception of Blue and J.Wilson, our team is not overly athletic among our regulars. Both of these weaknesses were clearly evident last night. Granted, FL is one of the top 3 teams in the country, but MU has struggled against athletic, physical teams over the years (especially well coached teams like Louisville & Florida) that are able to stop our penatration, keep us off the boards and off the F-T line. Next year's recruiting class should help us with both our outside shooting and overall athleticism.

TheSultan
11-30-2012, 07:53 AM
OK...managed to stay off-line 'til now...

*When Davante made that inside pass to Jamil, and he tried to flick it over the Florida guy instead of going up strong, I had a feeling that this was going to be one of those "Jamil games" where he plays soft. Fraschilla said it best...this team lacks that Hayward, Butler, Crowder role that we thought Jamil was going to step into.

*Junior cannot pick up two early fouls like he did. I thought Derrick Wilson had a pretty solid game, and I know that IWB mentioned lack of assists, but when teammates aren't making shots, you can't pick up assists.

*This game completely exposed the weaknesses of each post player.

*Vander Blue is the best player on this team...and it really isn't even close.

*I thought this team was ill-prepared too. Coming out of both halves and picking up a shot-clock violation is indicative of that. Buzz also needs to get better at making in-game type adjustments...he'll get there but I think this continues to be his biggest weakness.

kneelb4zerg
11-30-2012, 08:59 AM
Jamil could still step into that role. He had a stretch of great games now a bad one. Overall he's been our best player this year despite some inconsistency and yes the lack o toughness. I had the same thought about this game when Jamil tried to finesse his shot. He can't be afraid of contact, he should welcome it. Getting to the foul line was a great strength of Jimmy/Lazar.

IWB
11-30-2012, 09:08 AM
Not defending him because he really needs to step up, but maybe Jamil's fear of contact last night was due to that early foul on him when he went up for a shot, came down on a Florida player and was called for an offensive foul. Bad call IMO, he went straight up and the player came in under him. Put his hand down to cushion the blow and was called for the foul.

bleedbluegold03
11-30-2012, 09:38 AM
In no way is Jamil our best player. I think over the entire season he'd rank no higher than 3rd on that list.

Great players have consistency and grab the reigns in tough situations, so far that - without a speck of doubt - is Van. Last night and the Butler game truly show his progression as an offensive talent. This time his freshman year, he would put his head down, barrel into the lane and lose control of the ball. He looks like a completely different player. I'd argue with his offensive progression to this point in the season he's progressed to a 2nd round pick already.

2nd I'd give to Gardner and a distant 3rd is Jamil. He may have the most talent on this team, but to this point in the season I think he is the first major player in Buzz's tenure to regress. It's truthfully been hard to watch because you see it's there. Now he just needs consistency. I am still holding out hope that he molds into better form by the 2nd half of the conference schedule, ala Jimmy Butler.

Nukem2
11-30-2012, 09:41 AM
OK...managed to stay off-line 'til now...

*When Davante made that inside pass to Jamil, and he tried to flick it over the Florida guy instead of going up strong, I had a feeling that this was going to be one of those "Jamil games" where he plays soft. Fraschilla said it best...this team lacks that Hayward, Butler, Crowder role that we thought Jamil was going to step into.

*Junior cannot pick up two early fouls like he did. I thought Derrick Wilson had a pretty solid game, and I know that IWB mentioned lack of assists, but when teammates aren't making shots, you can't pick up assists.

*This game completely exposed the weaknesses of each post player.

*Vander Blue is the best player on this team...and it really isn't even close.

*I thought this team was ill-prepared too. Coming out of both halves and picking up a shot-clock violation is indicative of that. Buzz also needs to get better at making in-game type adjustments...he'll get there but I think this continues to be his biggest weakness.Buzz likes to let the guys figure things out for themselves before making changes. Without a DJO or a Jae or a Jimmy or a Zar, I don't think that works with this team.

This team really needs Todd back to shore up perimeter scoring and to pick up overall team quickness. Having lost DJO, Jae, Jamail, TJ and Todd has really hurt overall team quickness and perimeter shooting. Lockett's slow start and Jamil's Jekyll & Hyde play have not helped either. Can this team play Buzz's preferred uptempo pace against quality/ahtletic teams..? If not, Buzz really does need to change his approach to in-game changes.

kneelb4zerg
11-30-2012, 09:43 AM
In no way is Jamil our best player. I think over the entire season he'd rank no higher than 3rd on that list.

Great players have consistency and grab the reigns in tough situations, so far that - without a speck of doubt - is Van. Last night and the Butler game truly show his progression as an offensive talent. This time his freshman year, he would put his head down, barrel into the lane and lose control of the ball. He looks like a completely different player. I'd argue with his offensive progression to this point in the season he's progressed to a 2nd round pick already.

2nd I'd give to Gardner and a distant 3rd is Jamil. He may have the most talent on this team, but to this point in the season I think he is the first major player in Buzz's tenure to regress. It's truthfully been hard to watch because you see it's there. Now he just needs consistency. I am still holding out hope that he molds into better form by the 2nd half of the conference schedule, ala Jimmy Butler.

Come on. He played a nothing game against Butler, then responded with three great games, then another bad game last night. That's not "regression." That's a guy dealing with the expectations of being a primary scorer (this year) versus a role player (last year).

Halo
11-30-2012, 09:48 AM
Sultan hit on the head with Vander. Plays bigger than he is, is tough, a leader, never tires, best defender, best player on offense and is unselfish, yet selfish when we need him to be. Very good BB IQ.

Jamil is MU's Ben Brust. Very good player and gifted, but not always when MU needs it. I will leave it at that.

kneelb4zerg
11-30-2012, 09:50 AM
Sultan hit on the head with Vander. Plays bigger than he is, is tough, a leader, never tires, best defender, best player on offense and is unselfish, yet selfish when we need him to be. Very good BB IQ.

Jamil is MU's Ben Brust. Very good player and gifted, but not always when MU needs it. I will leave it at that.

It's been 7 games. Vander looked like crap in the first two games, and now has turned it on (missing one game). That's great. But why are we all of the sudden crapping all over Jamil and anointing Vander as the greatest thing ever?

TedBaxter
11-30-2012, 09:54 AM
It's November 30th and last year MU crapped it's pants at home against Vanderbilt in late December. A lot of improving can happen in a month, especially when finals are over in two weeks and basketball is the only focus.

TheSultan
11-30-2012, 10:13 AM
It's been 7 games. Vander looked like crap in the first two games, and now has turned it on (missing one game). That's great. But why are we all of the sudden crapping all over Jamil and anointing Vander as the greatest thing ever?

I'm not crapping all over Jamil, but anyone who has watched the last two years knows that he has these games where he plays a little soft. I'm not supposed to point that out? And I also never said that Vander was the greatest thing ever, but he clearly was the one player that didn't seem overwhelmed by the moment.

MUMac
11-30-2012, 10:36 AM

No one ever called Vander the greatest thing ever. Nice straw man.

I think the expectation was that Jamil would step into the role of Jae, who stepped into the role of Jimmy, who stepped into the role of Lazar. Jamil has all the talent. He has the ability. It took Jimmy some time and it took Jae some time. I am not giving up on him, but watching him play soft, like yesterday, sure was disappointing.

kneelb4zerg
11-30-2012, 10:39 AM
I was only pointing out that both players have been inconsistent. MU needs consistent performances from both to be successful this year.

Markedman
11-30-2012, 10:49 AM
I also think they need Junior to take a big step up as a senior and thus far he has not done it. Still will get his share of assists but for MU to be good they need him to score as well and be more effcient.

Defensive is also a big problem.....this group seems to lack the quickness and toughness of the past years. Buzz's system requires guys to be able to play press man to man in the half court and handle the pick and roll........last night Florida got every shot they wanted and when they missed they got fouled or the rebound.

Now Florida just might be the best team we will face all year but the limitations remain.

MUMac
11-30-2012, 11:02 AM
I was only pointing out that both players have been inconsistent. MU needs consistent performances from both to be successful this year.

I agree that Van has been inconsistent as well, but not to the degree of Jamil. MU needs both to score. Jamil had a goose egg against Butler and 3 points last night. But the frustrating part is that when Van was off offensively, he still brought defense, ball movement, assists, rebounds ... When Jamil was off offensively, he played soft throughout his game. That is what frustrated most, I believe.

That said, I still believe he can become the guy. For MU to be successful, they need him to.

Halo
11-30-2012, 11:32 AM
No one is saying Vander is a God or Jamil sucks or giving up on him. We have 2 losses. How did Van do in those 2 losse and how did Jamil do?

Jamil needs to bring it in a bigger game. I have the confidence he will and let's start with UW.

bleedbluegold03
11-30-2012, 12:48 PM
I was going to make a post but MUMac said all that I wanted to point out.

The reason I think Jamil has regressed is because in the only two games we played real bcs level opponents, Jamil had a total 3 points. That's abysmal.

Obvious it's a long season tho, and a lot can happen even in the next month

Orlando
11-30-2012, 01:50 PM
I also think they need Junior to take a big step up as a senior and thus far he has not done it. Still will get his share of assists but for MU to be good they need him to score as well and be more effcient.

Defensive is also a big problem.....this group seems to lack the quickness and toughness of the past years. Buzz's system requires guys to be able to play press man to man in the half court and handle the pick and roll........last night Florida got every shot they wanted and when they missed they got fouled or the rebound.

Now Florida just might be the best team we will face all year but the limitations remain.

I agree with everything said here. Our offense is actually better than I thought it was going to be coming into this year. I think a lot of guys have taken some nice steps offensively (pretty much everybody but Junior is better offensively this year). Consistency on offense will come with more experience.

The defense is a real problem though. We were standing straight up on defense all night. The Florida players were always in a defensive stance. Even off the ball. Even in their zone. Execution will improve, but our intensity and effort is way down from prior years. We can't win without that. That is who we are.

CaribouJim
11-30-2012, 04:07 PM

Luke Winn's latest Power Ranking has UF @ #4. Four MU opponents are in the top 10 and would have been 5 if we played OSU. Very challenging year ahead. If Buzz get's MU in the NCAA's this year, it will be an impressive accomplishment.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/luke_winn/11/30/Power-Rankings/index.html?sct=hp_wr_a1&eref=sihp