PDA

View Full Version : Are we looking at this all wrong?

Gato78
11-29-2012, 11:44 AM
As fans, everyone has this scenario for implosion of the BIG EAST and starting a new, basketball only conference. Everyone seems to think the University Presidents and ADs are the driving forces. What if MU, and whomever our current bretheren may be, do this in reverse fashion by going to NBC and/or FoxSports saying "give us a conference you want to see and let us know what the numbers are and we will react". This would maximize exposure and probably income by giving the networks exactly what they want. So the networks devise a football side and a basketball side--whether in one conference or two--all of which results in hoops keeping MSG--which is the best possible conference tourney venue. Maybe they can even be the driving force behind the implosion of and combination of the BIG EAST and ACC in some fashion should NC and FSU and GT and Clemson leave the ACC. This makes a lot more sense to me than frantic phone calls after any given school defects.

TheSultan
11-29-2012, 12:42 PM
So when the ACC does this with ESPN, and grabs Pitt and Syracuse, it's a problem. But when the BE does it, it is OK?

IWB
11-29-2012, 01:02 PM
Sultan - The ACC really had no reason to do it at the time that they did. There was no gun to their head, they had not issues, they weren't in an "Oh my God we're falling apart" situation. The ACC/ESPN did it just to damage the Big East.

The Big is has a need, they have a reason, they have a gun to their head, there are issues and they are in an "Oh my God we're falling apart" situation. The Big East would be doing it as a last ditch effort of survival.

Gato - Good points, but I want to focus on the title of your thread, "Are we looking at this all wrong?" I don't care what people are suggesting, stick it out, go all hoops, go all catholic...whatever, I think the only wrong way to look at these things is by not looking at every possible scenario anyone can dream up, because any all all possibilities have to be considered.

ydouask23
11-29-2012, 04:36 PM
Boys Im convinced you dont want all catholic or all hoops schools. We need the tie in for the national exposure of MAJOR conference affiliation. I think it helps for all sports. I am pipe dreaming, but I want Big 10 or ACC. Thats where the money is right now. Thats where the exposure is right now. Marquette has a lot to offer in success of Olympic sports, history and current success of hoops, and we spend $$$$$ on athletics and invest. Plus academically, Marquette is a better school than half of the big 10 or ACC. The worse scenario, in my opinion, is staying in the Big East. The national reputation of the conference has already been destroyed.

IWB
11-29-2012, 05:52 PM
I want Big 10 or ACC.

That won't happen.

unclejohn
11-29-2012, 06:27 PM
I'm holding out for the NBA.

Halo
11-29-2012, 07:15 PM
Boys Im convinced you dont want all catholic or all hoops schools. We need the tie in for the national exposure of MAJOR conference affiliation. I think it helps for all sports. I am pipe dreaming, but I want Big 10 or ACC. Thats where the money is right now. Thats where the exposure is right now. Marquette has a lot to offer in success of Olympic sports, history and current success of hoops, and we spend $$$$$ on athletics and invest. Plus academically, Marquette is a better school than half of the big 10 or ACC. The worse scenario, in my opinion, is staying in the Big East. The national reputation of the conference has already been destroyed.

You really have no idea what you are talking about, do you? Have you followed this realignment mess at all and know what it is all about?