PDA

View Full Version : Hope we can schedule a future series with Louisville

Drbchilds
11-28-2012, 10:35 AM
I sure hope Larry and Jurich can work out some sort of future series together. The history of Marquette vs Louisville is absolutely incredible.

Just off the top of my head I can think of:

Wardle and Hutchins last second threes to beat Louisville......

Gaines, Garcia, and Smith last second threes to beat us.....

Dameon Mason's last second "and-one" to beat them.....
A triple overtime game......

Dominic's last second running three to force overtime...

Wade leading us to an epic 20 point comeback win at Freedom Hall.....

I don't want this to just end......ugh

IWB
11-28-2012, 12:52 PM
To me, that is the worst thing about all of this conference shuffle crap. I love the tradition and history, in both football and basketball. I love watching the old Oklahoma vs Nebraska game, I love watching the Michigan Notre Dame game, the "old bowl games" and basketball - MU vs Notre Dame, MU vs Louisville.... nothing matters anymore but cash, yet these are supposedly non-for-profit academic institutions.

Goose85
11-28-2012, 01:37 PM
You could be recruiting a kid to play football in the Big 10 for Wisconsin and have to tell him that in his 4 years Michigan and Nebraska will not be on the schedule. Or a kid in the other division that Ohio State and Penn State or Wisconsin will never be on the schedule in his 4 years. That is what is becoming too bad.

Basketball, no problem. You can go to 20 teams and still play everyone in the conference every year and then have a tournament. Football, which drives the bus, is where you are losing the rivalry games. Having a kid come to play in the ACC and telling him that Florida State isn't on the schedule for the next 4 years is too bad.

mutpm
11-28-2012, 02:10 PM
Unfortunately, MU will not be able to play everyone. You only get 11 non-conference dates. Hopefully, 1 will always go to an exempt tournament to get multiple games. With the remaining 10, 3 are taking by the in-state teams. That leaves 7 games, 5 which need to be buy games to raise money and pad the win column. That leaves 2 slots for home and homes.

MUMac
11-28-2012, 02:12 PM
Unfortunately, MU will not be able to play everyone. You only get 11 non-conference dates. Hopefully, 1 will always go to an exempt tournament to get multiple games. With the remaining 10, 3 are taking by the in-state teams. That leaves 7 games, 5 which need to be buy games to raise money and pad the win column. That leaves 2 slots for home and homes.

Right now, 2 are taken by the in-state teams.

IWB
11-28-2012, 02:14 PM
3 are Mac, UWM just let MU have this year off to enable MU to skate in the Carrier Classic.

Markedman
11-28-2012, 02:14 PM
No guarantee that the UWM/UWGB series will continue. MU has to do what it has to do.....IF it needs more slots open for H/H with teams like ND and Louisville it will not even think twice about it and shouldn't.

IWB
11-28-2012, 02:17 PM
But as pointed out above, you need the buy games - a couple of non-con losses could be deadly, although with Tulane in, there is another one in the conference W column.

2012Warrior
11-28-2012, 02:18 PM
This was kind of my question. Hypothetically, if we played in the A-10 could we make up the SOS by playing a tougher non-conference with more home and homes? Or would we have to play even more buy games due to the lower TV revenues?

MUMac
11-28-2012, 02:22 PM
3 are Mac, UWM just let MU have this year off to enable MU to skate in the Carrier Classic.

Have they resigned the contract? Last I heard, it ended last year and a new one had not been agreed upon.

IWB
11-28-2012, 02:24 PM
MU would have to play more buy games to make up for lost TV revenue.

I'll check Mac, but last time I asked about the expiring contract, I was told the contract had not expired. Also, because they allowed MU out to play OSU under short notice, MU will resign with them regardless.

Goose85
11-28-2012, 02:27 PM
This was kind of my question. Hypothetically, if we played in the A-10 could we make up the SOS by playing a tougher non-conference with more home and homes? Or would we have to play even more buy games due to the lower TV revenues?

That is the concern with an A-10 conference. Lower attendance and lower tv money may result in the need to schedule more buy games to make ends meet.

Markedman
11-28-2012, 02:39 PM
If you lose elite matchups in conference you simply have to replace them with quality non conference games. Gonzaga is the model IMO. They play in a mediocre conference but have stayed nationally relevent by scheduling lots of big name schools(many of them TV games) in the non conference.

MU fans are used to seeing good games....if they try to make up the money lost in TV by scheduling more buy games it will backfire by pissing off the season ticket base and the alumni.
Charge a little more for tickets if you have to...people will pay for quality but they won't pay to see 6 or 7 games against Prairie View, Presbyterian, and UMBC.

Goose85
11-28-2012, 02:46 PM
The key is keeping Buzz and keeping the big boosters happy, and this is Larry's job. It is far more important now than it was when Larry first started too, in light of the conference shifts.

You can get away with less buy games if the big boosters are happy and are still willing to pump money into the program. Without that, you have to have the buy games.

Gato78
11-28-2012, 03:48 PM
We currently have good relationships as an athletic department with UWM. May play a role.

ziggysfryboy
11-28-2012, 09:06 PM
We currently have good relationships as an athletic department with UWM. May play a role.

hell, the way things are going in the Big east office, UWM might be a conference game in a few years.

MayorBeluga
11-28-2012, 09:40 PM
hell, the way things are going in the Big east office, UWM might be a conference game in a few years.

Years? Days or hours might be more likely. Alas...