PDA

View Full Version : ESPN reports Cincy's all out campaign to join ACC

IWB
11-27-2012, 03:25 PM
ESPN's Andy Katz is now reporting that in light of the Big East's adding Tulane, Cincinnati has stepped up their efforts to campaign for a spot in the ACC. (http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/8683593/cincinnati-bearcats-making-strong-push-join-acc-source) Apparently Cincy is dead set on proving to the ACC that they are a more viable option than Louisville or UConn should the ACC only add one team.

Wow - programs running over the top of one another to get out of the Big East. Never thought I would see that, though now that I think about it, I may have seen it somewhere before.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueh_1PeJhaQ

Markedman
11-27-2012, 03:44 PM
I don't like the Tulane addition any more then the rest of you but lets not kid ourselves. Cincy was trying to get into the ACC long before the Tulane situation......ditto for Louisville and UCONN.

If any of them bolt for the BE it sure won't be because of Tulane.

BE was fun while it lasted.....MU has proven it can succeed in the Big East or in CUSA......I will miss the great BC crowds for Syracuse, Pitt, and ND.

Realignment was great when it got us into the BE....now it sucks......

I really hope they try for the National hoops league....it's the only thing that most of us could get excited about now.

Goose85
11-27-2012, 03:56 PM
If there is to be more jumping, then I hope the ACC has big time departures to the point that it either has to merge with the Big East or ends up as one of the "other" conferences. If the Big East goes down, I'd like ESPN's darling the ACC to go down as well.

MUMac
11-27-2012, 03:58 PM
I don't like the Tulane addition any more then the rest of you but lets not kid ourselves. Cincy was trying to get into the ACC long before the Tulane situation......ditto for Louisville and UCONN.

If any of them bolt for the BE it sure won't be because of Tulane.

BE was fun while it lasted.....MU has proven it can succeed in the Big East or in CUSA......I will miss the great BC crowds for Syracuse, Pitt, and ND.

Realignment was great when it got us into the BE....now it sucks......

I really hope they try for the National hoops league....it's the only thing that most of us could get excited about now.

One of the problems with a national hoops league may be matching up the other (Olympic) Sports. Not all schools have the same sports offered. That could create issues trying to mesh all the schools together. Homes (conferences) would need to be found for those sports.

Now, I don't know if that is, or could be, an issue. Likely it would be for Lacrosse at Marquette (but Larry would relish the opportunity to offline that sport). I don't know if other schools would have the same problem.

Football conferences, due to size of the programs, need to have a larger number of other sports available. That makes it easy to meld in all the non-football schools.

Markedman
11-27-2012, 06:29 PM
Jeff Rabjohns ‏@JeffRabjohns
Hmmm ... Interesting reports that B1G is sending feelers to N. Carolina, Virginia, Ga Tech, Notre Dame, Kansas and will take 2 of the 4.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
11-27-2012, 06:34 PM
Wow... If that tweet is correct then hold on boys... This ride might not be over get. Taking Kansas and one ACC team might be just enough to get the party started.

I think no matter what happens some good schools will be left outside looking in, Marquette needs to make sure it's in with that group when all is said and done.

IrwinFletcher
11-27-2012, 06:42 PM
Jeff Rabjohns ‏@JeffRabjohns
Hmmm ... Interesting reports that B1G is sending feelers to N. Carolina, Virginia, Ga Tech, Notre Dame, Kansas and will take 2 of the 4.

There have been many a rumor about the first three, but the last two are very interesting.

And if you don't think that UNC is a serious candidate to jump, consider that the President of the University just sent an email to alums and donors that they are firmly committed to the ACC and look forward to a long future in that conference.

Hamostradamus
11-27-2012, 06:54 PM
And if you don't think that UNC is a serious candidate to jump, consider that the President of the University just sent an email to alums and donors that they are firmly committed to the ACC and look forward to a long future in that conference.

The dredded "vote of confidence." UNC might as well printing up the B1G t-shirts now.

Goose85
11-28-2012, 08:49 AM
Committed until it looks like NC State might move to a better conference or Florida State. Then it will be every school for itself and the vote of confidence will be toward a new conference. UNC's fear is that NC State could go to the SEC and become more high profile and have more money than UNC.