PDA

View Full Version : Any Maui reflections

Nukem2
11-25-2012, 02:43 PM
From those that were there...?

MUBasketball
11-25-2012, 02:53 PM
This is my last day here, heading to beach. Will take red eye home tonight. Will have a report when I get back from UMBC game tomorrow night.

beerhere6
11-25-2012, 03:08 PM
Fabulous trip for obvious reasons- perfect weather, multiple rounds at Royal Kaanapali, etc...But a few areas I'd highlight are 1- Venue... Particularly enjoyed the HS gym type atmosphere of the LCC having been upstairs at the BC until 3 years ago and in the lower end zone since then, really enjoyed watching/hearing bench interaction etc- 2- It was very interesting seeing the athletic dept. staff/representatives interact with fans in a more "relaxed" setting 3- Great seeing/talking to the players around the hotel and not surprised how tight they appear among each other. 4- Loved watching/overhearing KO Wednesday, brought back memories from the early 90s. 5- More than anything the amount of MU support IMO was second to none, including UNC....would have loved to have a crack at them! Would most certainly make the trip again next time!

Gato78
11-25-2012, 04:14 PM
I was there 5 years ago as well as this year and had a great time both times--though I enjoyed this trip more. I have gone to many of the Thanksgiving week trips--Kansas City, Maui (x2), Orlando, Virgin Islands. This trip was by far the best. The set up at the team hotel, the Hyatt, was better than any of the others, I thought. Bar just off the pool was the gathering spot. MU game was only a part of the day--we laid around pool/beach, played golf and had a memorable MU snorkling trip on a catamaran celebrating Oscar Jim's 50th birthday (trip highlight). The trip was pricey but worth the money. I also think MU had a great showing--more UNC fans based on the numbers in the gym but appeared to be an older crowd. I will say the bartenders appreciated the Marquette crowd more than the others. Our turnout bodes very well for MU continuing to be invited to these destinations in the future. If you are going on a winter vacation anyway, plan for one of these tournaments. The Marquette contingent is friendly and fun--moreso than at the BC or other road trips. Next year is Anaheim, Orlando the next year. Mrs. Gato plans on speaking to one of our administrators about the Bahamas as she thinks that should be in the roatation!

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
11-25-2012, 05:05 PM
How much does that package run? I'd go but I'd imagine it would cost me a few shekels

mutpm
11-25-2012, 05:39 PM
The package was not cheap, but it truly was the experience of a lifetime. I went with my wife and 2 sons and it was the best family vacation we have ever taken. People told me that Maui was paradise on earth and it lived up to the hype. I know there are places that are more beautiful, but for a college basketball tournament, I don't think this can be beat. Even though it meant losing on Monday morning, having the games in the morning each day was the perfect setup. Get up, take a walk on the beachwalk, eat breakfast, go watch the game, and be back by early afternoon to play in the ocean and catch some rays.

Seeing the players and staff roaming the grounds interacting with made the trip even more special. We got to talk to Trent and his mom for a little bit on Tuesday. He showed us a picture of his face from last Tuesday night. His eye was really messed up. My kids got to play basketball in the pool with Jake, Dylan, Junior, and Chris. Interactions like that don't happen on a daily basis. It's what makes a trip like this one to remember for the rest of our lives.

My wife is on the same page as Mrs. Gato, she wants MU in the Battle for Atlantis.

MUAlphaBangura
11-26-2012, 10:58 AM
From a basketball perspective- a lot of positives. 1) Vander"s play was very encouraging, esp. his mid-range and 3 point shooting. 2) Jamil responded after his sub-par Butler performance. Just need to see him play like he believes in himself. 3) Given health, the 5 spot is covered this year better than any year since 2003. 4) Jamal Ferguson can play at this level. 5) Love what Derrick Wilson brings us this year. Tourneys like these early in the season can really help give a team and individual players their identities. From a personal stanpoint- How can you not love Maui. The catamaran outing on the S.S. Oscar Meier was a true highlight. I've said this before, but it is worth repeating. MU is a special place. The ability to interact with the players and coaches does not happen at many places. Tourneys like these offer a chance to do that, and you are never dissapointed because we always have good kids in the program. Hope all MU fans can be blessed as we are to be able to attend one of these events.