PDA

View Full Version : Expansion...ACC is no more according to this site.

GOMU1104
11-23-2012, 07:09 AM
http://www.eersauthority.com/expansion-update-acc-on-the-brink/

TheSultan
11-23-2012, 07:39 AM
The guy is known for being "out there."

Litehouse
11-23-2012, 08:41 AM
That's probably the best possible scenario for us. The ACC falls apart and BC, Pitt and Syracuse come crawling back to the Big East with Duke and Wake.

Mucrisco
11-23-2012, 09:36 AM
I wonder if we told Boise and whomever else to go back to the Mt West so that we can make this ACC/Big East merger a more viable option. What teams are left? Someone help me out.
Football
Memphis
UConn
Temple?
UCF
USF
Cincy
SMU
Houston
BC
Wake
Duke
Pitt
Cuse
Basketball
Marquette
Gtown
Nova
Providence
DePaul
St John's
Seton Hall

Take the ACC TV deal and the Garden for the Tourney. I'd hate to lose Louisville, but I'd be happy to gain Duke, Wake, BC, Pitt and Cuse. It would be ironic that the fall of the ACC was ultimately caused by poaching Cuse and Pitt in the first place. Also, this is essentially the old Big East again, plus MU, Cincy, Duke, and Wake along with random teams. Even if you keep Sand Diego St and Boise for football, they could have their Championship game.

IWB
11-23-2012, 09:37 AM
It actually seems realistic, except for the fact that he has the Big 10 adding 3 more teams. Why would they add three more, giving them 17? Send Ga Tech to the Big 12 instead of Louisville.

Phantom Warrior
11-23-2012, 10:10 AM
Why the ? after Temple?

A total of 20 teams for basketball? That's hard to imagine.

Mucrisco
11-23-2012, 10:23 AM
Why the ? after Temple?

A total of 20 teams for basketball? That's hard to imagine.

I don't follow college football that closely. Actually, I don't watch at all now, since football is driving all of this craziness. I don't know if Temple plays football or not, and I'm too lazy to look it up.

We play 18 conference games right now, right? Is it unreasonable to add one more conference game? That's an honest question. I don't know the answer.

Phantom Warrior
11-23-2012, 11:17 AM
IWB,

I'd love to see this happen, but I'm guessing it would be more likely, should all those teams leave the ACC, that the ACC would take its core of five schools - Duke, Wake, BC, Syracuse, and Pitt - and poach UConn, Memphis, Cinci, Temple, and maybe Louisville from the BE. It seems to me that for those five present BE schools, a 10-team ACC with all-sports would be more palpable than a 20+ team Big East with teams in Texas and Florida as well as the hoops schools.

That would be my fear. The ACC might even pick up the two Florida schools to get to 12.

Regardless, it's a frickin' mess.

While it would be poetic justice/karmic payback should the ACC implode and cease to exist, I just don't see it happening. I think the more likely scenario is the demise of the
BE.

bleedbluegold03
11-23-2012, 02:05 PM
i sound bitter but i really, really hope the ACC is destroyed

Hamostradamus
11-23-2012, 02:30 PM
ACC and BEast are in a staring contest...will the "poachable" schools stand pat and facilitate a merger, or will they flinch and go to the ACC, thus killing the BEast?

IrwinFletcher
11-23-2012, 04:05 PM
Regardless how this all turns out, this seems to be the big blowup everyone has been waiting for over the past few years. We will see if we are left standing or curled up in the fetal position....

pbiflyer
11-23-2012, 04:20 PM
Yea, concerned that the ACC and BEast football schools merge, leaving the bball only schools on the outside.

TulsaWarrior
11-23-2012, 05:35 PM
There is value with the BE BB only schools. I'm wondering how the BE Commissioner is feeling these days and if he had a Plan B and Plan C?

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
11-23-2012, 06:43 PM
This would actually be the best possible situation for the Big East... I would think a re-branding would be in order though. Hopefully some folks have already began speaking about this possibility. There will be some pretty good basketball programs left out in the cold no matter what happens. I just don't see a scenerio where Duke, Louisville, UCONN and Memphis all make it to a power conference. Figuring some of them miss out we need to take the remaining basketball only schools and try to join with them.