PDA

View Full Version : Foreshadowing?

Phantom Warrior
11-21-2012, 11:35 PM
Interesting allocation of minutes today.

Juan starts but gets 7 minutes.

Davante gets 24 and Chris 16.

Junior gets 32 and Derrick 9.

The two frosh get 1 minute and 0 minutes, respectively, while Jake gets 22 (23?).

I realize each game is different - match ups, foul trouble, hot hand, etc. But is this kind of a precursor of what we're going to see in close games?

If so, I'm more than a bit surprised that JT is getting so many minutes and ST so few.

The differentials between CO and DG at the 5 and JC and DW at point are pretty much what I'd anticipated as average mpg. And I figured JA would likely be ninth man or tenth in terms of playing time.

I don't want to read too much into one contest, but it's pretty hard not to notice how many minutes Jake got and how few Steve received.

IWB
11-21-2012, 11:41 PM
Buzz is starting to tighten the rotation - with CO2 and Davante playing so well, and Buzz utilizing 3 wings, you will see Jamil and Juan at the PF more often, limiting Steve's minutes. Don't get me wrong, I don't expect Steve to ever get that few, but he will be behind Jamil & Juan for the most part.

MUBasketball
11-22-2012, 12:03 AM
I can't believe Juan played so little. He's looked really good this whole tournament whenever he was on the floor.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
11-22-2012, 12:11 AM
Agree on Juan... A buddy and I were talking while watching the game and discussing how incredibly bright the future is for this team. We have a lot of potential these next few years if we can hold everyone together and Buzz stays. It's really exiciting to see. With us likely only losing Mayo, Lockett, and Jr. This offseason I think we could be primed for a real big year next year.

mutpm
11-22-2012, 12:29 AM
Steve didn't play due to the ankle injury from the Mississippi State game. He was moving around ok, but said it really hurt this morning.

MU88
11-22-2012, 12:47 AM
Steve will pass up Juan shortly. Eric Williams started too, for a while.

warriorfan4life
11-22-2012, 12:57 AM

I think Steve will play, as Juan will play some at the 3, but JA is no Erik Williams. He can play some, and would be the second or third best player on some teams a few years back. SC had two seven footers, so it dictated a full 40 minutes from our true 5's, but I think we go quick at times with Jamil/Taylor at 5 and JA/Jamil at the 4. As long as Blue is okay, I am becoming pretty excited about this group's potential.

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
11-22-2012, 05:48 AM

Not based on what they've shown on the court so far. Juan is light years ahead of Steve right now. Light years.

TheSultan
11-22-2012, 07:24 AM
Juan has an annoying tendency to lose his guy on defense now and then. Jake Thomas is out there because he is smart, but he simply can't score at this level. 22 minutes yesterday and no points. It would be nice to have Todd back eventually to take those minutes.

Halo
11-22-2012, 07:31 AM
Juan may be the biggest surprise to me this year. I don't see him in any ways compared to Erik Williams. Juan is much better and when he is out there is very active and makes things happen. Not sure how his shoulder is holding up. That could be why Buzz is limiting him a bit.

TheSultan
11-22-2012, 07:37 AM
Hey, Juan can at least knock down a jumper. That is something EWill couldn't do. I think the progress from year one to year two is what's most encouraging.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
11-22-2012, 08:25 AM
Agreed, and that's why I'm even more pumped for next year, another off season to progress together and we could be pretty scary.

Nukem2
11-22-2012, 09:29 AM
I think the reason Juan starts is is to allow Buzz to bring in Jamil and Davante togehter at the first substituion at the 16 minute mark. Jamil is more effective with Davante as we saw last year at mid-season before Davante went down.

MU88
11-22-2012, 02:43 PM
I haven't been impressed with Juan. He is okay but gets lost on defense and gets himself in trouble on offense. I give him the benefit of the doubt because he missed the offseason. Still, his court sense is a bit disappointing.

MUMac
11-22-2012, 02:55 PM
I haven't been impressed with Juan. He is okay but gets lost on defense and gets himself in trouble on offense. I give him the benefit of the doubt because he missed the offseason. Still, his court sense is a bit disappointing.

He missed a heck of a lot of time with injuries - the preseason last year, later during the season and then virtually all offseason. You may not think that matters, but for all that time, I would not write him off like you. I see the athleticism and skill set - much greater than EWilliams, but you seem him as an EWilliams. I would question your judgment more than anything.

MU88
11-22-2012, 03:03 PM
He missed a heck of a lot of time with injuries - the preseason last year, later during the season and then virtually all offseason. You may not think that matters, but for all that time, I would not write him off like you. I see the athleticism and skill set - much greater than EWilliams, but you seem him as an EWilliams. I would question your judgment more than anything.

Wow, I never said any of that. He doesn't remind of EW at all. He is more like Nnamaka (sp?). I also didn't say I gave up on him, only that his court sense seems to be lacking a bit. I think ST will pass him up because ST is a more talented player. That's all.

MUMac
11-22-2012, 03:18 PM
Wow, I never said any of that. He doesn't remind of EW at all. He is more like Nnamaka (sp?). I also didn't say I gave up on him, only that his court sense seems to be lacking a bit. I think ST will pass him up because ST is a more talented player. That's all.

You are correct, I misread the initial point of yours. You did not compare the two. I apologize for the error on my part. That said, your comment about EWill and JA sure does read more towards what I state than what you write in the post above.

Why are you bringing ST into the topic? I like ST and his potential, but if you are questioning court awareness ... It is obvious that you are not impressed with JA. That is where you completetly lose me and I question your judgment.

Phantom Warrior
11-22-2012, 03:37 PM
I have mixed impressions of JA at this point.

When I watched video of him his senior year in high school, he seemed really smooth. I was most impressed with his passing skills and his ability to get the ball to open teammates. He seemed to let the game come to him.

The Juan I've watched so far this season seems to be trying to force things. At times he appears somewhat stiff, even semi-robotic. In short, I get the impression he is thinking too much rather than just feeling the game.

I may be way off base on this. But he does not seem to be playing relaxed.

I still like JA's energy. However, I'd like to see him slow down a bit. What's that saying - "play quick but don't hurry." something like that.

Markedman
11-22-2012, 04:01 PM
John Wooden said it and I agree it does apply to Juan.

He has a long way to go but he is miles ahead of where he was last year.

I have mixed impressions of JA at this point.

When I watched video of him his senior year in high school, he seemed really smooth. I was most impressed with his passing skills and his ability to get the ball to open teammates. He seemed to let the game come to him.

The Juan I've watched so far this season seems to be trying to force things. At times he appears somewhat stiff, even semi-robotic. In short, I get the impression he is thinking too much rather than just feeling the game.

I may be way off base on this. But he does not seem to be playing relaxed.

I still like JA's energy. However, I'd like to see him slow down a bit. What's that saying - "play quick but don't hurry." something like that.

Halo
11-22-2012, 04:25 PM
Phantom-no disrespect, but I think you get way too hung up on what these guys do in high school and how they look in college. So much is different that I do not think you can get too much based entirely on a college player's performance or projections from high school alone. The competition is different, their bodies are different and the coaching is different. Remember MU is now playing at a top 15 in the country level for the past 10 years. This is some of the best competition in the country these guys are facing.

What I like is the upside, size, energy, athleticism and attitude that Juan has shown. He may only average 10 points and 7 rebounds as a senior to the disappointment of some, but he's a guy you can win with and I am glad he's on MU.

kneelb4zerg
11-22-2012, 05:13 PM

Seriously?

He's been one of our best players. You must be hard to impress.

Phantom Warrior
11-22-2012, 05:42 PM
No offense taken.

Obviously, I don't expect the same kind of production a freshman or sophomore might have relative to his senior year in high school.

As for Juan, I would be thrilled if he ever averages 10 ppg and 7 rpg. It will be interesting to see how mpg play out the next couple of years.

TheSultan
11-22-2012, 08:35 PM
Seriously?

He's been one of our best players. You must be hard to impress.

He's been surprising, but "one of our best players?"

kneelb4zerg
11-22-2012, 09:47 PM
He's been surprising, but "one of our best players?"

Well according to the CS post about the USC game, he was the third most valuable player that game in terms of value add.

mutpm
11-23-2012, 12:35 AM
The issue with Juan the past couple of games is that the opponents are getting a lot of offensive rebounds when he's in. I love his energy and what he brings on the offensive end, but it appears his lack of playing time is directly related to how well he rebounds on the defensive end. Over the past 2 games, he has 0 defensive rebounds in 23 minutes.

JohnnyRev
11-24-2012, 02:16 PM
I really like Juan also, and I too was surprised by only 7 minutes. One explanation that make sense to me is that he was pulled after taking an ill advised three point shot. Buzz does like to teach a lesson to a player he values (recall how tough he has been on Junior during his career).