PDA

View Full Version : Who does less with more?

bleedbluegold03
11-19-2012, 11:49 PM
Rick Barnes or Josh Pasner?

Both pull in 5* recruits at a class rate and always under perform. Rick Barnes has done nothing with his wealth of talent outside of a once in a generation player and Josh Pasner has yet to even win a NCAA game.

I really wish someone could develop a weighted ranking of how much production coaches based off of the talent they have; off the top of my head you could take wins per star on team and somehow take into consideration strength of schedule to level different competition. One would have to think a Brad Stevens and Buzz Williams would be near the top of that list and Barnes and Pasner at the other end of things (honorable mention to Leonard Hamilton)

kneelb4zerg
11-20-2012, 12:09 AM
LOL. Pastner pulls 5 star recruits? Say what? Barnes has been to the tourney for the last 17 years, won 71% of his B 12 games. This stuff gets overblown. It's one bad loss.

bleedbluegold03
11-20-2012, 12:16 AM
in this class alone Pastner has 1 5* and 3 4*s.

Since taking over three years ago he's gotten 5 5*s and 6 4*s to come aboard and (apologies for my previous statement) has 2 NCAA wins to show for it

bleedbluegold03
11-20-2012, 12:18 AM
in the same time frame Barnes has gotten 4 5*s and 5 5*s and has amassed 1 NCAA.

So no, I am anything but over-blowing things

bleedbluegold03
11-20-2012, 12:19 AM
and that's not even considering the 5 star talent on each of their teams before the last three years' recruiting classes

TheSultan
11-20-2012, 08:01 AM
Pastner is young and still learning as a coach. Barnes though, yeah I understand winning a bunch of B12 games, but they haven't come close to a Final Four since 2003. At some point, you have to do more with that talent.

dw3dw3dw3
11-20-2012, 08:12 AM
Have to give Pastner a pass for right now... He's learning, time will tell.

bleedbluegold03
11-20-2012, 09:20 AM
I give no slack for Pastner honestly; he's been under one of the greatest coach's of all time - Lute Olsen - and also one of today's best game coaches - John Calipari.

Looking back at his three years as HC I found a telling statistic that any of you can look up: he has yet to beat a rank team in his tenure going 0-9 thus far.

That's not bad, it's pathetic.

To put it in perspective, 3 years into Buzz's tenure, he already had 4 victories and a S16 in the NCAA with much, much less talent to work with.

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
11-21-2012, 06:08 AM
Agreed. I think Pastner is the most overrated young coach in the game. Kid can recruit, but that's about it. Barnes has a longer track record, but at least Texas has made the tournament all 14 of his seasons there and he has a Final Four, two Elite Eights, and two Sweet 16s.