PDA

View Full Version : Maryland Approves Move to Big 10

Goose85
11-19-2012, 09:56 AM
The musical chairs conference style is never ending.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/blog/eye-on-college-football/21056732/report-maryland-board-of-regents-unanimously-approves-move-to-big-ten

Mucrisco
11-19-2012, 09:58 AM
Here we go again. I know people want the basketball only league. Personally, I would rather we play Memphis, Temple, Louisville, and Cincy. My fear is if Gtown and Nova go ACC. I know they already applied to go there when Pitt and Cuse were traitors. I am actually OK with UConn leaving. I'd rather have them go than those two schools, Louisville, or Cincy.

Derek Spallone
11-19-2012, 10:00 AM
What year would it happen? And wow then, I cant wait to see NU play Maryland for the Big Ten/ACC challenge it will be even more interesting, but the Big East is expanding widely as well.

TedBaxter
11-19-2012, 10:08 AM
Here we go again. I know people want the basketball only league. Personally, I would rather we play Memphis, Temple, Louisville, and Cincy. My fear is if Gtown and Nova go ACC. I know they already applied to go there when Pitt and Cuse were traitors. I am actually OK with UConn leaving. I'd rather have them go than those two schools, Louisville, or Cincy.

I would like the basketball only league only if Louisville, Cincinnati and Rutgers move on. If these three schools leave the Big East, then it's time to look to a basketball only conference and then you wonder how that fits if the "Superconference" idea goes through.

Goose85
11-19-2012, 10:10 AM
Great move for Fox, who owns 50% of the Big 10 network.

It doesn't matter that in the New York / New Jersey area nobody cares about Rutgers football / basketball. What matters is that all cable viewers will likely have to increase what they pay for the Big 10 network.

If cable viewers currently pay 10 cents a month for the Big 10 network (not sure of the exact amount), that will likely increase to $1.10 per month. With the number of viewers in the New York / New Jersey area, as well as the Maryland / Wash DC area, that just made the Big 10 / Fox a ton of money.

No coincidence that the parent company of Fox Sports is in the process of trying to buy the Yes Network.

Fox is becoming a big boy in college sports.

Mucrisco
11-19-2012, 10:42 AM
I would like the basketball only league only if Louisville, Cincinnati and Rutgers move on. If these three schools leave the Big East, then it's time to look to a basketball only conference and then you wonder how that fits if the "Superconference" idea goes through.

Just curious...why Rutgers?

TedBaxter
11-19-2012, 10:46 AM
Just curious...why Rutgers?

Big university in the New York market.

Goose85
11-19-2012, 10:49 AM
From reading various articles, it sounds like the Big 10's first tier rights expire in 2017. Those rights are held by ESPN.
While 2017 is a few years off, by that time the new Big 10 will be in place and I'd guess the Big 10 network / Fox Sports will get those rights over ESPN.