PDA

View Full Version : What in the blue hell...

MUBasketball
11-15-2012, 09:19 PM
is wrong with DePaul? Wow.

Currently losing at home 60-44 to Gardner Webb.

Yes, I know...it's DePaul. But being blown out by Gardner Webb? They do actually have some good talent in Melvin and Young.

BLT
11-15-2012, 09:41 PM
And Gardner Webb is playing without its two best players.

bleedbluegold03
11-15-2012, 10:45 PM
need to make like the EPL and relegate DePaul. They have been a joke for OVER A DECADE and make Marquette lesser in association

TulsaWarrior
11-16-2012, 10:46 AM
Oliver Purnell resume -- this was posted in January: Success in college hoops is defined by one factor: making, and going deep into, the NCAA Tournament. Best record in the Atlantic-10? Meh. Win the Big East? Big deal. NIT champion? Puh-lease.

Yet, second year DePaul head coach Oliver Purnell is making a cool $1.8 million despite never winning a tournament game in his 20+ year career. Adding insult to injury, DePaul went 7-24 in Purnell’s first season (that’s over $250k a win).

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1016899-the-50-worst-players-who-made-the-most-money#/articles/1016899-the-50-worst-players-who-made-the-most-money/page/11

DePaul's basketball program is a sleeping giant waiting for the right administration and coach.

TedBaxter
11-16-2012, 11:01 AM
need to make like the EPL and relegate DePaul. They have been a joke for OVER A DECADE and make Marquette lesser in association

DePaul is important to Marquette for travel purposes. A decent DePaul program is better for Marquette's future, especially with Notre Dame moving out.

MU_Iceman
11-16-2012, 12:33 PM
I'm not sure where all the shock and gnashing of teeth is coming from with regards to this loss. Folks, this is DePaul, not some perennial like MU that just lost to GW, this is DePaul. Why is everyone so shocked?? I'm sure not. They haven't been relevant for years. They are a LOW major. Period. They MIGHT compete well in something like the Southland conference. let's call a spade a spade can we??

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
11-16-2012, 01:24 PM
Going by kenpom.com, this is only the second time since Oliver Purnell took over that DePaul lost to a sub-200 team. Yes, they are bad, but they are still a Big East team. And that other loss was against Cal State Northridge in California, so it was virtually a road game. Losing at home to a middle-of-the-road Big South team? Even for DePaul that's a new low.

The question is why they aren't even starting to come around. Melvin is a good player. So is Young. No, they aren't going to be challenging for a NCAA berth, but they should be beating the cupcakes and making some progress. Usually by year 3 Purnell has shown progress, this time it simply hasn't happened. I guess it's good for Marquette in that we don't have to worry about DePaul much when recruiting Chicago, but it's also nice to have your rivals at least show up when they are scheduled to play.

TheSultan
11-16-2012, 03:07 PM
http://www.suntimes.com/news/sneed/16415608-452/depaul-hoop-scoop.html

Looks like they are zeroing in on an arena near McCormick Place.