PDA

View Full Version : Article on Wilson and Burton

milkbone
11-14-2012, 06:08 AM
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/preps/marquette-recruits-are-two-of-the-states-best-127km5n-179229951.html

TheSultan
11-14-2012, 08:10 AM
Wow, I didn't realize that Burton's mom was sick and that's why he came back to Milwaukee last year.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
11-14-2012, 08:20 AM
I think this article shows just how important Buzz is to Marquette... Players don't just grow up dreaming of Marquette, in this state it's all about UW... We need a man like Buzz who can change those kids minds and keep them home or pull them out of other states.

Goose85
11-14-2012, 09:01 AM
I think this article shows just how important Buzz is to Marquette... Players don't just grow up dreaming of Marquette, in this state it's all about UW... We need a man like Buzz who can change those kids minds and keep them home or pull them out of other states.

Great point, that is what stood out for me as well. Neither wanted to go to MU, and both indicated they wanted to go to college out of state. Then they got to know Buzz and the rest is history. That speaks volumes for Buzz and why we need to make sure he is our coach for a long, long time.

ge1974
11-14-2012, 09:24 AM
IMO, both Duane Wilson and Deonte Burton will start as freshmen next year as these two guys are studs. However, that is a longgggggggggggggggg way off and I am more concerned with this year right now.

All Hail Buzz!

QuetteHoops
11-14-2012, 10:42 AM
IMO, both Duane Wilson and Deonte Burton will start as freshmen next year as these two guys are studs. However, that is a longgggggggggggggggg way off and I am more concerned with this year right now.

All Hail Buzz!

I don't think Duane will start over Derrick.

bleedbluegold03
11-14-2012, 10:50 AM
I commented to Alex that all I want for this years team is to make the NCAA; with the team coming in next year I just want our NCAA streak to continue

Djgoldnboy
11-14-2012, 11:05 AM
Anyone forwarding this article to Mr. Notre Dame?

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
11-14-2012, 11:14 AM
I would be surprised if any freshman start next year... I see Derrick Wilson, VB, Jamil Wilson, Juan, and O'Tule as starters... With Gardner first off the pine. Jake Thomas will likely play good minutes also. I think we gotta remember as good as these guys can become, they will all be freshman... Plus Juan has looked like he is ready to contribute so I think he is going to grow.

Bocephys
11-14-2012, 11:15 AM
Anyone forwarding this article to Mr. Notre Dame?

Digger Phelps?

Djgoldnboy
11-14-2012, 12:10 PM
Digger Phelps?

No, our beloved AD.

IWB
11-14-2012, 12:31 PM
Worth repeating......

"Truthfully, I didn't want to go to Marquette," Burton said. "But I fell in love with (coach) Buzz (Williams). And the more I thought about it, I just thought I could become the face of Wisconsin basketball."

Wilson agreed.

"All the way through, we both said we probably wouldn't be going to Marquette," Wilson said. "But Buzz was different than most coaches.

"He never talked to me about basketball. It was all about life and what I'd be doing 20 years from now. And Marquette is just a big family."

Markedman
11-14-2012, 12:48 PM
I think ultimately Derrick will be backup player for MU for 4 years. Nothing wrong with that. I think you give the keys to Duane(like Crean did with DJ) and live and die with him. His upside down the road is worth the intial growing pains.

You can't start DW, Vander, O'Tule, Jamil and Juan. Not enough scoring. No playmakers. No shooters.

MUMac
11-14-2012, 12:57 PM
I think ultimately Derrick will be backup player for MU for 4 years. Nothing wrong with that. I think you give the keys to Duane(like Crean did with DJ) and live and die with him. His upside down the road is worth the intial growing pains.

You can't start DW, Vander, O'Tule, Jamil and Juan. Not enough scoring. No playmakers. No shooters.

Yes you can ... if the D stands for Duane and not Derrick ... ;)

Markedman
11-14-2012, 01:20 PM
I stand corrected......;)

Yes you can ... if the D stands for Duane and not Derrick ... ;)

IWB
11-14-2012, 01:23 PM
Yes you can ...

Nice shot of you on the Jumbotron last night Mac.

ge1974
11-14-2012, 01:28 PM
Marquette now has more Wilson's then the Beach Boys!

Markedman
11-14-2012, 02:35 PM
And how many first names starting with J or D?

JuJuan, Juan, Jamil, Jameel, John,Jamal, Derrick, Duane, Davante, Deonte, ?

Not counting Junior since he will be gone.

IWB
11-14-2012, 02:59 PM
What about Jake?

MUMac
11-14-2012, 03:12 PM
Nice shot of you on the Jumbotron last night Mac.

Thanks Jim. My daughter tried to keep me out of the picture, but I made it in! Sometimes you just have to be forceful!! :D

TulsaWarrior
11-14-2012, 03:13 PM
Jim is right this is worth repeating. Buzz Williams is the best ambassador and best salesman Marquette has ever had

"Truthfully, I didn't want to go to Marquette," Burton said. "But I fell in love with (coach) Buzz (Williams). And the more I thought about it, I just thought I could become the face of Wisconsin basketball."

Wilson agreed.

"All the way through, we both said we probably wouldn't be going to Marquette," Wilson said. "But Buzz was different than most coaches.

"He never talked to me about basketball. It was all about life and what I'd be doing 20 years from now. And Marquette is just a big family."

Goose85
11-14-2012, 04:07 PM
Johnny Rev - don't be shy about making sure your fellow Jesuit Fr. Pliarz has seen this, and understands how important Buzz is to MU, and not just athletics.

Gato78
11-14-2012, 04:21 PM
Buzz is not the best ambassador and best salesman Marquette has ever had. He is the best since Al. I hope Buzz exceeds Al's success but that will take a long time to achieve.

Nukem2
11-14-2012, 04:36 PM
Buzz is not the best ambassador and best salesman Marquette has ever had. He is the best since Al. I hope Buzz exceeds Al's success but that will take a long time to achieve.
Agree with that for sure. Also, it's harder to achieve a continuous level of success that Al had as the BB world has changed a lot.

Halo
11-14-2012, 09:46 PM
I agree Gato. How is Buzz bigger than Al? Some of this Buzz is God stuff is a little over the top from some posters. He's a great young Coach, but still has lots to accomplish before you can say he's in the same discussion or even a better ambassador than Al. The whole country knew Al and still talk about him and that team 35 years later. Now that is an ambassador.

ziggysfryboy
11-14-2012, 10:07 PM
Thanks Jim. My daughter tried to keep me out of the picture, but I made it in! Sometimes you just have to be forceful!! :D

Mac: putting the jumbo in jumbotron. :cool:

TulsaWarrior
11-14-2012, 10:09 PM
I misspoke. Buzz is the best amassador and best salesman for Marquette since Al. My move from Oklahoma to Oregon has left me with a bad case of "misspoke 101." I just can't get this time different down. ; - )

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
11-15-2012, 05:52 AM
I would be surprised if any freshman start next year... I see Derrick Wilson, VB, Jamil Wilson, Juan, and O'Tule as starters... With Gardner first off the pine. Jake Thomas will likely play good minutes also. I think we gotta remember as good as these guys can become, they will all be freshman... Plus Juan has looked like he is ready to contribute so I think he is going to grow.

I think Jameel McKay will start next year. Honestly, I don't think the coaching staff could stop him from starting if they wanted to. Which will allow Jamil to play the 3. The question is, does that push Vander back to the 2 (meaning Derrick likely starts) or the 1 (getting Juan into the starting lineup?).

Is there a running joke I missed about Otule's name? I can't believe that many people think he's Irish. As far as that lineup...it depends. Jamil and Juan can both shoot, and Juan could very well be a playmaker on that team. It depends on how much he develops in the next year. He has a very high basketball IQ. But no way McKay doesn't start next year.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
11-15-2012, 08:39 AM
I think there is a lot of ways he doesn't start. He will need time to acclimate and I think it's a 100% given that if healthy Otule, Wilson, and Blue are starters. I think of the final two spots one needs to be a PG (De. Wilson, or Du. Wilson) ... Then I really think the final spot will be hard to hold Juan out of. Juan will know the system better and already be acclimated to the pace of the game. McKay will need some time to catch up.