PDA

View Full Version : Game thoughts - SLU

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
11-13-2012, 11:09 PM
Tonight I think we saw what will plague Marquette most of the year. When things got tough last year we always had DJO and more often Jae to pump energy into us and make a big play, I'm not sure we have that right now. It doesn't look like anyone has quite developed into that floor leader yet. Right now we just really look like we are lacking flow and a go to guy, we have a lot of nice pieces but lack that one star go to guy that has come around every year for us. Now it's only game 2, but tonight got a bit scary, will be interesting to see how this team develops through the course of a season, if nobody steps up it could be a real long year.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
11-13-2012, 11:17 PM
On a positive note I thought Jamal Ferguson has played some solid minutes, really didn't expect much but I think he has held his own given he is a freshman, has certainly looked better than some of the early reports on his progress, I think with more PT and time with Todd Smith her could have a bright future ahead of him.

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
11-13-2012, 11:18 PM
We do need someone to step up, but I'm not too worried. I think SE Louisiana may well be a tournament team and they aren't near as bad as the scoreline in Madison indicates. We put on a defensive clinic, especially in the second half. Take the win, move on. Still expect us to beat Butler, have a chance against UNC, and beat Bucky.

Phantom Warrior
11-14-2012, 12:01 AM
Ferguson is very athletic and has a great deal of potential. However, in his brief stint (3 - 4 minutes) in the second half, he was twice beaten off the dribble.

The first time, a teammate rotated over to try to block the shot, but fouled instead, and the SL player went to the line for two. The second time, Jamal's man scored - I think with a short pull-up, if memory serves. He also had a charging foul when he attacked the basket.

These plays came after MU had established an 11-point lead. In that span of three to four minutes, SL cut the lead to two, and the game grew tense.

Jamal will have to play much better on-the-ball defense if he wants to see minutes this year. I do think that will come eventually but not sure about this season.

BLT
11-14-2012, 12:36 AM
With Mayo out, there is no perimeter scoring. It is a black hole right now.

TedBaxter
11-14-2012, 06:21 AM
I kind of like it when Marquette struggles like this. The players start paying attention to the coaches more, watch film more intently and the cockiness goes away a little. I'm concerned a little with the offense, but the way Buzz liberally subs early in the year, they have looked this way often. If they are still struggling 6 weeks from now we have something to worry about.

dw3dw3dw3
11-14-2012, 08:00 AM
Tonight I think we saw what will plague Marquette most of the year. When things got tough last year we always had DJO and more often Jae to pump energy into us and make a big play, I'm not sure we have that right now. It doesn't look like anyone has quite developed into that floor leader yet. Right now we just really look like we are lacking flow and a go to guy, we have a lot of nice pieces but lack that one star go to guy that has come around every year for us. Now it's only game 2, but tonight got a bit scary, will be interesting to see how this team develops through the course of a season, if nobody steps up it could be a real long year.

I thought it became clear who everything was going to run through this year. Going inside out seems like it will give us the best chance. DG should get as many touches as Jae and DJO had last year. I think Jamil will have some big games, but as far as something consistent and reliable, gotta feed the Ox all year long. 1 on 1 there's probably only a handful of people in college that can stop him consistently. Both him and the rest of the team seem a little slow to react when he's doubled, I'd like to see that improved.

TheSultan
11-14-2012, 08:08 AM
I really think it parallels with the Norfolk State game from last year. They actually shot worse and turned the ball over more against Norfolk than they did last night. For instance, against Norfolk they went 5-20 from three...last night 2-10.

Goose85
11-14-2012, 09:10 AM
Learning experience game. Within the first 10 or so minutes of the game, MU had already gone 11 deep. I don't expect that going forward.

I watched Buzz, especially when the game was closer (eventhough it didn't really seem that way). He was watching more than coaching. On the radio with Homer and Cubillan after the game he said as much. Said he didn't want to coach the guys out of trouble, he wanted them to figure things out on their own, use it as a learning experience. He said he will coach differently in Maui.

Gardner will get 15 points per game. A beast with the ball in the paint despite never stuffing the ball.

A lot of paint touches needed for Otule and Gardner. If we do so, then I like more minutes for Jake Thomas on the inside out for 3.

Hopefully we won't see Blue / Wilson go 3 for 15 in any more games.

Nukem2
11-14-2012, 09:20 AM
With Mayo out, there is no perimeter scoring. It is a black hole right now.And, doubly so with TJ Taylor's departure. Team took a lot of forced and ill-advised shots last night. As Buzz said, need to stay within the context of what they practice. Hopefully, we'll not see Jamil and Vander have poor performances in the same game again. But, it was an early game and we've experienced such outings in the past. Need to learn and grow from this game.