USF

WEST
Boise State
Houston
Memphis
SDSU
SMU
Temple

So we have a Big East East and a Big East West...and Temple is in the West.

TheSultan
11-13-2012, 02:26 PM
BTW, I found out that Temple being in the west was a condition for their admittance to the conference.

CaribouJim
11-13-2012, 02:32 PM
As far as football quality, what conference can you compare it closest too?

Drbchilds
11-13-2012, 02:34 PM
As far as football quality, what conference can you compare it closest too?

I would say the ACC.....Boise= Florida State, Louisville=Clemson.......all the others are pretty mediocre

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
11-13-2012, 02:38 PM
There is a lot of improvement that needs to be done to make this a sexy football conference. You might as well call the divisions the real big east and the replacements.

TheSultan
11-13-2012, 02:47 PM
I would say the ACC.....Boise= Florida State, Louisville=Clemson.......all the others are pretty mediocre

I think the ACC is better...not by much...but better when you consider Virginia Tech. The other problem is that the BE has some real bad football teams....the bottom is weaker than the ACC's.

So I would say that it is sixth among the conferences....behind the ACC, ahead of Mountain West.

Mucrisco
11-13-2012, 02:52 PM
Is that "The Real Big East" though? I think you can only say that about UConn, and didn't they just become a DI A team recently? As far as a Sexy football conference, I think you can only say that about the SEC and the Big 12. Then again, I'm no where close to being the college football fan like I am basketball.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
11-13-2012, 02:56 PM
I would tend to agree with the statement that the ACC is better top to bottom... And if Miami ever gets its sh*t together they could be a huge piece.

That being said the Big East has potential and just needs to sustain some teams in the top 25 for a few years to get a better perception. Heck if you ask a lot of people which program is a better football program between Miami and Rutgers I'd bet 9 or 10 out of 10 unbiased people would say Miami... It's all about perception... SMU and Houston may have had good years last year, but has anyone heard anything about them this year? The Big East has got to get some programs to be in the top 25 year in and year out to create the perception that its a tough league... Having years of a few middle of the road teams and then a few pushovers is not going to get it done.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
11-13-2012, 02:58 PM
Is that "The Real Big East" though? I think you can only say that about UConn, and didn't they just become a DI A team recently? As far as a Sexy football conference, I think you can only say that about the SEC and the Big 12. Then again, I'm no where close to being the college football fan like I am basketball.

B10 is made up of large state schools that will have a huge following because of their graduate base and ties to the state, (see Wisconsin fans that never attended UW but grew up rooting for them because everyone else did)... And the P12 is the same way...

Nukem2
11-13-2012, 03:02 PM
There is a lot of improvement that needs to be done to make this a sexy football conference. You might as well call the divisions the real big east and the replacements.
How about Leftovers and Replacements....? :)

Mucrisco
11-13-2012, 03:05 PM
That's true. Man those games are not fun to watch though. All of my recent health care has been through the UW health hospital. That place has been top notch in terms of my treatment and hospitality. In return, i said I'd root for one Wisconsin team. obviously, that won't be their basketball team. Since, I don't really have a college football team I root for, I said I'd root for the football team. I've tried to do it. I turned the first game on and tried to get excited. I just found myself getting bored. I'll stick with it longer I suppose, but I'm starting to think Badger hockey is the team I should be supporting.

TheSultan
11-13-2012, 03:05 PM
I would tend to agree with the statement that the ACC is better top to bottom... And if Miami ever gets its sh*t together they could be a huge piece.

That being said the Big East has potential and just needs to sustain some teams in the top 25 for a few years to get a better perception. Heck if you ask a lot of people which program is a better football program between Miami and Rutgers I'd bet 9 or 10 out of 10 unbiased people would say Miami... It's all about perception... SMU and Houston may have had good years last year, but has anyone heard anything about them this year? The Big East has got to get some programs to be in the top 25 year in and year out to create the perception that its a tough league... Having years of a few middle of the road teams and then a few pushovers is not going to get it done.

The real problem is that if any of these schools sustain anything, their coaches are likely to leave and they usually don't have the backing that schools from the other schools do to prevent that. Louisville is a perfect example. Petrino builds something big...he leaves. Kragthorpe stinks and they get real bad. Strong arrives and bring them back...but he will likely be gone next year.

Peterson at Boise seems to be the exception, but who knows.

Mucrisco
11-13-2012, 03:08 PM
What are the Big Ten divisions? Legends and heroes or something like that? I think you should market the Big East as the young, brash, newcomers on the scene. Give them a rebel image or something like that.

Goose85
11-13-2012, 03:09 PM
The Big East is similar to the ACC. The difference is Florida State is a marquee team. Clemson, Va Tech and Miami have potential, but so does Boise State, Louisville, Rutgers, Cincy, Central Florida, Houston, etc. The difference isn't really talent and success, it is that Florida State is a national brand, as is Miami to an extent.

Adding Boise State along with schools in Texas and Florida is huge for football. Just look at Louisville, 30 players on their roster are from the state of Florida. Florida, Texas and California are states that produce big time talent, and in numbers. Big East is the only conference with members in all three. It will be interesting to see if adding Texas helps expand football recruiting.

Bottom line, Big East needs to do it on the field, and increased money from a TV contract should help with consistency. Also need, along with the new media rights deal, a decent payday for a bowl game to be added with sponsorship from, oh, like Fed Ex. Put together a few bucks, and Big East v #3 SEC / Big 12 could help perception too.

Goose85
11-13-2012, 03:18 PM
That's true. Man those games are not fun to watch though. All of my recent health care has been through the UW health hospital. That place has been top notch in terms of my treatment and hospitality. In return, i said I'd root for one Wisconsin team. obviously, that won't be their basketball team. Since, I don't really have a college football team I root for, I said I'd root for the football team. I've tried to do it. I turned the first game on and tried to get excited. I just found myself getting bored. I'll stick with it longer I suppose, but I'm starting to think Badger hockey is the team I should be supporting.

Hope things are improving for you MUCrisco.

MayorBeluga
11-13-2012, 04:08 PM
EAST
So we have a Big East East and a Big East West...and Temple is in the West.

So is the Big East East the Leaders or Legends?

Mucrisco
11-14-2012, 12:32 AM
Things are improving. Thanks.