PDA

View Full Version : Deadspin on Carrier Classic

IWB
11-12-2012, 11:22 AM
Deadspin has video of Steve Taylor literally sliding across the court at the Carrier Classic (http://deadspin.com/5959421/as-it-turns-out-outdoor-basketball-on-a-hardwood-floor-in-november-is-a-bad-idea?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_twitter&utm_source=deadspin_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow)

CaribouJim
11-12-2012, 11:50 AM
Even though they didn't play, I have to still rate it in the top 10 or even top 5 "in-person" MU b-ball experiences - just really, really neat. If they don't know how to address the condensation problem you have to consider scrapping the concept or at least going to afternoon games. It was a cloudless, almost 70 degree day with no wind - didn't even think of condensation being a culprit - I was more concerned about wind, rain and cold. If they were going to cancel it at least we got to get on board to see the setting of it all and it was nice that people didn't boo when they made the official announcement - only decision they could make.

IWB
11-12-2012, 12:00 PM
People could see it on the court, and knew it was bad. I don't think anyone that was in attendance disagreed with the decision.

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
11-12-2012, 12:05 PM
It's a fairly easy solution. Play on the West Coast where the sun is up for 3 more hours or start the game earlier. Last year between UNC and MSU was fine, this year the women's game was fine. On the East Coast it's probably not a good idea unless it's a day game.

mutpm
11-12-2012, 12:14 PM
People could see it on the court, and knew it was bad. I don't think anyone that was in attendance disagreed with the decision.

Getting the chance to walk on the court, there is no way they could have played. What I found disappointing was the promoter didn't find a way to do the halftime program. If their entire purpose was to honor the veterans in attendance, they still should have held the halftime ceremony. I found that to be the most disappointing part of the evening.

Mucrisco
11-12-2012, 07:46 PM
It's a fairly easy solution. Play on the West Coast where the sun is up for 3 more hours or start the game earlier. Last year between UNC and MSU was fine, this year the women's game was fine. On the East Coast it's probably not a good idea unless it's a day game.

How about we honor a different branch of the military where they can play the game indoors? Find an airplane hanger and show off a stealth bomber in the background. How about an underground bunker? Let's do something where weather is not a factor. I'm all for honoring the military, but basketball is played indoors.

IWB
11-12-2012, 08:01 PM
Every branch of the military was present on the USS Yorktown

Mucrisco
11-12-2012, 08:11 PM
Every branch of the military was present on the USS Yorktown

Do you think they'll still try to play on a carrier?

ValiantSailor
11-12-2012, 08:33 PM
Do you think they'll still try to play on a carrier?

According to this story (http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/8623696/carrier-classic-return-uss-yorktown-cancellations), they will.

VS

IWB
11-12-2012, 10:55 PM
Thing is, an event official told me that night that the temps/conditions that night were more favorable than the game between MSU & UNC, they just hadn't planned on the 80% humidity level,

2012Warrior
11-12-2012, 11:05 PM
Is it possible that MU and OSU play next year?