PDA

View Full Version : NCAA gives Milwaukee 2014 NCAA games

IWB
11-12-2012, 11:14 AM
The BMO Harris Bank Bradley Center has been given the rights to host 1st & 2nd rounds (now ridiculously called the 2nd & 3rd rounds) of the NCAA Tournament in 2014. The games will be Thursday/Saturday games. (http://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/article/2012-11-12/preliminary-round-sites-announced-2014-2015-ncaa-tournaments)

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
11-12-2012, 11:21 AM
That's good for the Badgers... Means MU if they make it that far that year can't play in their own region... Technically holding it in your arena is a disadvantage isn't it?

IWB
11-12-2012, 11:37 AM
Yes, you can't play in your own arena, but that doesn't mean you can't play a home game. Wisconsin did it Milwaukee years ago and it seems that Duke & UNC do it every year....oh, wait - did you see the new release? Yep - at it again....

Last year they had games in Greensboro hosted by "The ACC" and BOTH Duke(2 seed) and UNC(1 seed) played there. Also, Kentucky(1 seed) played in Louisville.

2014: Raleigh, NC - hosted by NC State

2015: Charlotte, NC - hosted by UNC-Charlotte

It will be tough for them this year, the NCAA doesn't have any home games slated for the big three.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
11-12-2012, 11:43 AM
I understand that rule, but none of those arena's are where UNC and Duke... To my understanding the rule is about where you play the vast majority of your home games... So whenever it's played in the BC, even if the Big East would be the sponsor MU couldn't play there, that's why it would be a disadvantage. For MU the best place for the NCAA to play the first round games would be Chicago or Madison (I don't think they have ever hosted) ... Otherwise there are no other cities super close that are big enough. That's just a location advantage. Unless the NCAA changes the rule to something like you can't play NCAA tourament games in the first four rounds in an arena within 100 miles of your campus. But that would just hurt attendance so they would never do that.

IWB
11-12-2012, 11:45 AM
I know the rules, just sucks that MU constantly flies coast to coast while Duke & UNC get to play 'virtual home games' every year. The NCAA caters to those programs as evidenced with the new site selections and by the latest jewelry scandal.

MayorBeluga
11-12-2012, 11:49 AM
I know the rules, just sucks that MU constantly flies coast to coast while Duke & UNC get to play 'virtual home games' every year. The NCAA caters to those programs as evidenced with the new site selections and by the latest jewelry scandal.

Last season, #1 seed Kentucky played the first and second rounds (NCAA terms be damned) in Louisville. This season, if Louisville gets a #1 or #2 seed, they likely will play in Lexington. The lesson? Marquette needs to go get a #1 or #2 seed to ensure itself of being placed at the closest site.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
11-12-2012, 11:52 AM
Even if MU had gotten a #1 seed last year there was no site within an hour or two drive for us to get seeded at. That's just the unfortunate part of where we are located. Being on the East Coast helps because cities are a lot closer there.

IWB
11-12-2012, 11:57 AM
Mayor - KY can't play in Rupp Arena.

I will add to that...... The NCAA selection committee has always said that they will "take into consideration those schools that have traveled a great deal in recent tourneys." Yes, last year MU was in Louisville and the year before in Cleveland, both of which were somewhat drive-able distance, but let's look at MU's recent tourney history, shall we?

2012 - Louisville, KY
2011 - Cleveland, OH
2010 - San Jose, CA
2009 - Boise, ID
2008 - Anaheim, CA
2007 - Winston-Salem, NC
2006 - San Diego, CA

The NCAA put the pod system in place to help sell tickets, which I understand, but it is dumb. Hey, if Boise can't sell out - don't let them host again. New Orleans is great for the Final Four - but not the early rounds. They did this to sell tickets, but in reality, they are using the pod system to do favors for their preferred teams. Duke and UNC will sell tickets wherever they go, they don't need to play in their home state.

Get rid of the pod system. If you are seeded #1, #6 or #12 - this is where you play. Stop giving extra advantages to the "glory children" of the NCAA.

Nukem2
11-12-2012, 12:22 PM
I know the rules, just sucks that MU constantly flies coast to coast while Duke & UNC get to play 'virtual home games' every year. The NCAA caters to those programs as evidenced with the new site selections and by the latest jewelry scandal.But..NCAA is the acronym for the North Carolna Athletic Association....:p

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
11-13-2012, 10:03 AM
A few things...

Madison last hosted at the Kohl Center in 2002. They had hosted twice previously, in 1941 and 1969.
I hate that they're in NC virtually every year (8 times from 2004-2013), but if you're a 1/2 seed, you've earned your virtual home game. I take more issue with Murray State getting a home game against a 3-seed when they're a 6.
I realize NC gets preferential treatment in terms of quantity of times hosting (as does Ohio), but I like that 32/48 continental states have hosted from '04-'13. Most of those that haven't are either near-zero population bases (Wyoming, the Dakotas) or have NCAA bans based on the confederate flag (Mississippi, South Carolina). I'd rather it get out to Idaho and Arkansas on occasion for the good of the game, even if they can't sell out.
Just as important is diversifying the later rounds. Of the 50 available regional and Final Four sites in this period, 32 went to Texas, Georgia, Missouri, Indiana, California, and Arizona. Interestingly, only 10 went to states on the East Coast (including DC), which is as many as Texas had alone.

IWB
11-13-2012, 10:34 AM
It should be like it used to be. If you are the #1, #2 or #3 seed in the West, you should be playing in the West, not 20 miles from campus in North Carolina.

The problem with places like Madison is that they do not have a major airport, so it isn't exactly convenient for travelers.

Final Fours go to those places because they require a dome. You have a dome - you can get the Final Four.

The Reptile
11-13-2012, 11:11 AM

As someone who attended the Greensboro 2nd round nightcap I can report that 1) Duke lost to 15 seed Lehigh, 2) it was no home game for them because the UNC fans (and the rest of the arena) were pulling for Lehigh, 3) if that's the treatment that MU gets anywhere else in Wisconsin then I'll gladly have us play in San Diego, San Jose, Boise or even Botswana.

wiscwarrior
11-13-2012, 09:15 PM
I'm not sure that South Carolina has any part of the confederate flag represented on its state flag and what should that have to do with hosting a tournament?

11-14-2012, 06:13 AM
I'm not sure that South Carolina has any part of the confederate flag represented on its state flag and what should that have to do with hosting a tournament?

You can find it in numerous articles, but for reference, the fourth paragraph here (http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/2009/Aug/06/br/hawaii90806054.html).

The NCAA banned South Carolina and Mississippi from hosting NCAA Championship events in 2001. Nevada was added due to gambling. The ban on Oregon has been lifted, not sure about the status of Montana and Delaware, but neither have hosted in the past decade.

Goose85
11-14-2012, 09:21 AM
I have always really looked forward to the NCAA tourney in Milwaukee, and we have normally had very good games as well.

With MU's current run of success leading to the expectation that MU will be in the tourney every year, I find myself less interested. Milwaukee has always been one of the best attended first round sites in the country, but I wonder how many season ticket holders will now hold off, instead considering waiting to see in what location MU may be playing?

TheSultan
11-14-2012, 09:29 AM
In the NCAA's defense, part of the reason that they place games in North Carolina is because they have three capable sites (Greensboro, Raleigh and Charlotte), and it is easy to get to for teams on the east coast and in the south. In many ways it is a no-brainer for them to put games there because of that.

11-15-2012, 05:49 AM
Two thoughts...

1) The issue is as much that Duke and UNC seemingly always get seeded in those sites, not just that they have them there. I know they want to get regional crowds, but when you play an hour or so from campus every year against teams traveling thousands of miles, even when you're #1 in the West regional, that just seems a bit off-kilter.

2) Has Milwaukee applied for a regional recently? Miller Park seems like a perfectly fine venue for it. I know that a Final Four would probably be too late, but if the Brewers opened on the road, which they usually do, a late-March weekend would work out well without conflict. I know...who wants to go to Milwaukee in March, but who wants to go to Detroit, Indianapolis, Newark, or any of the other northern regional sites?

TheSultan
11-15-2012, 08:06 AM
2. I really doubt that the Brewers would want a court covering their natural grass field for a week or so just prior to baseball season. The only time I can think of when an NCAA tournament was held on a "natural field dome" was in Houston...but it was their football stadium, not baseball.

GOMU1104
11-15-2012, 08:47 AM
Regarding Miller Park...people keep bringing this up. It has been open since 2001, with improvements and upgrades made made every so often.

Contrary to what some people may think, Miller Park and the Milwaukee Brewers are both run by very smart people. If this was a viable option that produced revenue for the City, the Stadium District and the Club...dont you think it would have been looked into over the past 11 years?