PDA

View Full Version : The Navy had their chance

ValiantSailor
11-10-2012, 06:13 PM
Everyone associated with the Carrier Classic keeps repeating how the game is for the troops. Well, there's lots of troops based on land with good gyms with folding bleacher seats. UCONN and MSU just played in one. The Maui games have a similar facility.

I've been in armed forces gyms in Korea, Japan, Germany, and several places in the US. If this event is "for the troops" then stop trying to convert a ship into a basketball court and use facilities that were designed for that purpose.

Really...trying to reinvent the wheel is a waste of time.

VS

MayorBeluga
11-10-2012, 07:26 PM
Amen. Let's play a game at a facility where the military employees don't get out much: Area 51.

unclejohn
11-10-2012, 10:52 PM
I think it was a high profile event that went all right last year, got lots of publicity and interest, and accomplished its purpose. This year, it seemed to prove that it wouldn't work. Your idea is interesting, but there are some real problems with getting a couple teams to Ramstein, much less Korea and Japan. I think that would goof up a team's schedule for weeks. But some other ideas can be tried in the future.

ziggysfryboy
11-10-2012, 11:59 PM
Amen. Let's play a game at a facility where the military employees don't get out much: Area 51.

lots of shots disappearing into thin air.

TheSultan
11-11-2012, 09:33 AM
The biggest shame from an MU point of view is that early season college basketball is driven by marquee match-ups in generally neutral settings. This is the second time we have been invited to participate in such games in the last couple of years. (Coaches v. Cancer Classic last year at MSG.) Hope we continue to get these types of invitations in the future.