PDA

View Full Version : Carrier classic - on board

IWB
11-09-2012, 12:43 PM
Can't even begin to describe how cool it is to stand at mid court onto of an aircraft carrier - the team is pumped - hope my twitter pics are working as I can't get laptop to connect

IWB
11-09-2012, 12:53 PM
Wind is starting to pick up - players say it may effect shooting - at practice yesterday Jake Thomas said he hit 7 straight, wind came up and 8th shot hit side of backboard

BLT
11-09-2012, 12:56 PM
Twitter pics are up...keep them coming. Must be an amazing experience!

IWB
11-09-2012, 01:06 PM
Players were excited when practice ended they got the phones out and started taking pictures - took so many buzz had to pull them out

BLT
11-09-2012, 01:21 PM
Where is press row? Crow's nest or courtside like in San Diego? Is the court as tight as it looks in the pictures? That open end concerns me with the wind whipping...no real wind break.

IWB
11-09-2012, 01:22 PM
65 & sunny for practice, but locals say once the sun goes down it gets chilly.

bleedbluegold03
11-09-2012, 01:51 PM
I fully believe that whoever drives more to the hoop will win this game; the wind will be too much of a factor in the 2nd half for anything outside to fall

IWB
11-09-2012, 02:19 PM
Press row is kind of court side. About 4 rows between press row and court - here's something you never thought you would hear at a Marquette game "Arial shots tonight are courtesy of the Goodyear Blimp"

Mark Miller
11-09-2012, 02:20 PM
Enjoy Jim. Keep the updates coming!!!

IWB
11-09-2012, 02:23 PM
Uh oh, starting to get pretty windy - we'll see if it impacts the women's game

MUBB713
11-09-2012, 02:57 PM
Good. I think the wind works to MU's advantage.

TedBaxter
11-09-2012, 03:11 PM
Whoever owns the offensive rebounding edge wins?

IWB
11-09-2012, 03:18 PM
Players in women's game should be wearing eye black - killer sun on OSU side

Only a handful of MU fans, OSU fans are here in droves, Notre Dame has a few

Still dealing with power issues courtside

IWB
11-09-2012, 05:42 PM
Internet access blows here - maybe because its FREEZING!!!

Wow, really cold - guys are pumped - Todd smith had them do an alley pop drill to fire them up and entertain the troops - it was awesome

TedBaxter
11-09-2012, 05:45 PM
I hope this is the last year they play outside games.

The biggest victory would getting out of this game without an injury. Dumb.

IWB
11-09-2012, 06:08 PM
Internet is poor - everytime I type something out it dies.

Baby blue camo looks awesome.

Buzz will keep his voice, has a glass of honey right next to him.

Cahill - ugh.

Otule looks like a monster.

MU fans are spread out. takes away from the sea of gold, but they are here.

Have been playing Top Gun music about every other song - Highway to the Danger Zone right now - fitting.

IWB
11-09-2012, 06:09 PM

Cahill - ugh.

Have been playing Top Gun music about every other song - Highway to the Danger Zone right now - fitting.

TedBaxter
11-09-2012, 06:13 PM
Cancel the game and play it tomorrow afternoon or play it inside.

IWB
11-09-2012, 06:15 PM
Internet/cell is poor - everytime I type it dies.

Delay of game due to wet surface - entire MU team & coaches wiping up floor while OSU watched - finally two OSU players decided to help

Nukem2
11-09-2012, 06:16 PM
This was my worry. This game cannot be played tonite?

IWB
11-09-2012, 06:17 PM
Players get two additional warmup minutes - baby blue camo unis look great, Otule looks absolutely huge

IWB
11-09-2012, 06:18 PM

Cahill - ugh.

IWB
11-09-2012, 06:22 PM
Ready to roll....I think....nope, another delay

IWB
11-09-2012, 06:24 PM
Be prepared..... with the delay, OSU players stand there freezing - MU's managers pull out the coats and winter caps. The MU managers take care of their guys!

IWB
11-09-2012, 06:30 PM
Got to love Buzz' Army boots. Players warming up again, tip in 2 mins

With all of the delays.....its not every day you see a big time college basketball player, in uniform, head into a porta potty

IWB
11-09-2012, 06:34 PM
Game officials now talking to athletic directors - MU has left the court, OSU still out here. Stay tuned.

20 minute rundown to see if floor will be playable. Will be assessed at 17 minutes.

Nukem2
11-09-2012, 07:01 PM
This was my worry. This game cannot be played tonite?
Nope. This was always a danger. It is November. Even in summer there can be a lot of condensation on a boat deck when its dark and humid. Doubt they will go back to the East Coast for one of these carrier games...?

Nukem2
11-09-2012, 07:14 PM
Nope. This was always a danger. It is November.
It's why we will never have a game at MillerPark as some suggest. Too risky.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
11-09-2012, 11:18 PM
Miller Park is far less dangerous, atleast semi temperature controlled.

Nukem2
11-10-2012, 08:58 AM
Miller Park is far less dangerous, atleast semi temperature controlled.Did not say dangerous, simply that weather is not contollable and its simply going to be cold, chilly and / or damp in November and March.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
11-10-2012, 10:40 AM
I disagree, Miller Park has the ability to raise the temperature above the outdoor temperature by 30 degrees... So if its getting down to 30 degrees at night (which it has been warmer at times) that means they could get Miller Park to 60 degrees at night and if it were a day game maybe 70... That is plenty warm given they were going to play in 40's last night. If you close the roof you could control the temp and keep condensation off.

KMWTRUCKS
11-10-2012, 12:13 PM
It was great to be on the USS Yorktown, lots of MU fans. Such a let down about the floor. I really think they should have been more prepared. This was the same weather all week. Great time but my $500 ticket could have been better spent.

TedBaxter
11-10-2012, 12:24 PM
Well, it may have been a great thought for a game and may have been rewarding for the people involved, but just another situation where people aren't thinking. Just like those stupid ass outdoor hockey games played in a football stadium.

If they are going to continue to celebrate military veterans, have the games on a military base facility. INSIDE!!!!!! BFW!!! Last letter refers to WASTE!!!!

Nukem2
11-10-2012, 12:28 PM
I disagree, Miller Park has the ability to raise the temperature above the outdoor temperature by 30 degrees... So if its getting down to 30 degrees at night (which it has been warmer at times) that means they could get Miller Park to 60 degrees at night and if it were a day game maybe 70... That is plenty warm given they were going to play in 40's last night. If you close the roof you could control the temp and keep condensation off.If so, why has it not been done yet? The idea was floated quite some time ago. I suspect it's just not really viable......

BLT
11-10-2012, 12:45 PM
Great front page article Jim that puts the event under proper perspective. Glad the boys represented so MU well.

Nukem2
11-10-2012, 12:56 PM
Great front page article Jim that puts the event under proper perspective. Glad the boys represented so MU well.
Yep, a well-done article.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
11-10-2012, 03:42 PM
There are a lot of reasons a game at miller Park hasn't been played, and it's not because its not physically possible. A lot goes into these events and you need people to have interest, not to mention the game has to be a made for TV type event and those games are often at neutral sites, Miller Park is not neutral for MU... Plus do you really think MU could fill up miller Park if we can't even pack the BC for most games?

Nukem2
11-10-2012, 04:13 PM
There are a lot of reasons a game at miller Park hasn't been played, and it's not because its not physically possible. A lot goes into these events and you need people to have interest, not to mention the game has to be a made for TV type event and those games are often at neutral sites, Miller Park is not neutral for MU... Plus do you really think MU could fill up miller Park if we can't even pack the BC for most games?Attendance would be one of the reasons it would not be viable...no argument on that.

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
11-10-2012, 04:57 PM
Attendance would be one of the reasons it would not be viable...no argument on that.

It would depend on the opponent. If it's Illinois you might get enough traffic up from Chicago. After ND bolts for the ACC they might be viable, though I expect a home-and-home series. Beyond that, maybe Duke or Kentucky? A true blue blood might do it. Anything less, no chance. Co-hosting an event with a doubleheader of marquee teams might work. Wisconsin vs Texas followed by Marquette vs UNC?

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
11-11-2012, 12:55 AM
Those teams would never agree to play in Milwaukee... What is there reason to do that?

Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"
11-11-2012, 06:08 AM
Teams go to Alaska, Kansas City, and Uncasville CT for non-conference tournaments. Not all the locations are exotic tropical paradises. Put the game in Miller Park in front of 40,000 with a guaranteed marquee network doubleheader, either a major network or ESPN, and you could get them.

JohnnyRev
11-11-2012, 12:08 PM
Jim, I also loved your headline story. It helped me see what good values were served despite our being bummed about the cancelling. Your last couple lines choked me up. Thanks.

Nukem2
11-11-2012, 12:15 PM
Teams go to Alaska, Kansas City, and Uncasville CT for non-conference tournaments. Not all the locations are exotic tropical paradises. Put the game in Miller Park in front of 40,000 with a guaranteed marquee network doubleheader, either a major network or ESPN, and you could get them.Tru, but those are neutral sites. A frigid Miller Park would be viewed as MU friendly. Not going to happen unless a major sponsor/promoter was found.

MUBasketball
11-11-2012, 01:28 PM
Teams go to Alaska, Kansas City, and Uncasville CT for non-conference tournaments. Not all the locations are exotic tropical paradises. Put the game in Miller Park in front of 40,000 with a guaranteed marquee network doubleheader, either a major network or ESPN, and you could get them.

40,000? For basketball games in November in Milwaukee? No chance...not even close.

unclejohn
11-11-2012, 02:25 PM

People don't go to Alaska anymore, which is why the Great Alaska Shootout is dying. Too bad, but teams would much rather go to Kansas City for a night or two. It is much easier. I am not sure what the pull of a weekend in Milwaukee playing in a baseball stadium would be. Hey, I love Milwaukee. I love baseball. I just don't see it.