PDA

View Full Version : Sam Dekker- Steve Taylor

MUAlphaBangura
11-08-2012, 07:32 AM
Saw that Sam had 5 pts. and 5 rebounds last night against UW-Oskosh, while not playing as many minutes as everyone thought he would due to a lackluster defensive performance. Oshkosh is one of the worst teams in the state conference. This is not meant to be a rip on Sam at all, just a warning for all of us to not put too many expectations on Steve Taylor. I think we sometimes forget just how young and inexperienced these incoming freshmen are. Sam Dekker will be an outstanding player for Bucky, as will Steve for Marquette, but it will take some time for them to adjust to the college game. Badger fans are probably already crapping their pants in fear that Dekker isn't the annointed one. I just hope MU fans give Steve the chance to grow as a player without the immense expectations. Both kids will be excellent players and representatives of their programs.

IWB
11-08-2012, 08:08 AM
Great point AB - I have said a few times that Dekker will need some time. He needs to add some muscle. Sure, he has been playing with the guys since the summer, but so had Steve Taylor and after the Madness scrimmage he said he thought he was prepared but was thrown off by how fast they were all moving and admitted that he spent most of the scrimmage trying to catch up. Now that is a kid that played what I consider big time high school basketball (Simeon, Whitney Young, Currie etc) whereas Sam played D3 in Wisconsin.

Both of these guys will need time. Sure, they both have what it takes to contribute as freshmen, but it will take time, and nobody should have unrealistic expectations put on them.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
11-08-2012, 08:24 AM
Well Dekker atleast won't have to worry about catching up to how fast they play, he should have that covered as long as he can walk at a decent pace. ;)

(Sorry I couldn't resist... But good points by all! I agree, I do however think Juan is on the cusp of getting it and contributing this year)

Goose85
11-08-2012, 08:57 AM
BW4pres - I laughed out loud with that one.

The difference with Dekker is that he was ranked nationally in the area where you not only contribute out of the gate, you don't play college ball for more than two years. Expectations are higher for top 15 kids than they are for kids ranked higher than the top 20, 30, 40, etc.

bleedbluegold03
11-08-2012, 09:04 AM
Well Dekker atleast won't have to worry about catching up to how fast they play, he should have that covered as long as he can walk at a decent pace. ;)

(Sorry I couldn't resist... But good points by all! I agree, I do however think Juan is on the cusp of getting it and contributing this year)

I think Juan Anderson's going to be the prime beneficiary of Mayo's potential season-long absence. Put me on record that his progression this year will mirror that of J.Butler the 3 Amigos' senior year: looking completely void of talent in the OOC and roughly half way through the conf schedule something clicks, and he becomes a great 2nd or 3rd guy off the bench.

BLT
11-08-2012, 03:23 PM
BW4pres - I laughed out loud with that one.

The difference with Dekker is that he was ranked nationally in the area where you not only contribute out of the gate, you don't play college ball for more than two years. Expectations are higher for top 15 kids than they are for kids ranked higher than the top 20, 30, 40, etc.

Not at Wisconsin...Bo will red shirt you.

Mark Miller
11-08-2012, 04:59 PM
Actually, Dekker played Division 5 basketball in Wisconsin, not 3.

Why we have 5 divisions for a state with less than 500 high schools is beyond me.

Beyond dumb.

TheSultan
11-08-2012, 07:27 PM
Well Mark you know *why* Wisconsin has five divisions....same reason Indiana added divisions down here.

Regarding Dekker, I think he is going to be good. Nice size, really athletic and can score. I actually thought his game fit better at MU than UW.

IWB
11-08-2012, 08:11 PM
Looking at some of the photos from last night, looks like Dekker has put on quite a bit of muscle weight since last year, good for him and that may make a huge difference in his development.