PDA

View Full Version : Embarrasing student section

MUAlphaBangura
02-23-2012, 01:10 PM
I could not believe how poorly attended this game was by the students. We have a top 10 team and that was the best the students could do? If I ever hear a student b!tch!ng about how us old folk alums don't get into the game, sit on our hands, etc., I swear I will go off on them like I was on a road trip! Our team deserves better. Unfotunately, the student section won't have an opportunity to redeem themselves as senior day doesn't count cuz it is always packed. Our team deserves better from their colleagues.

IWB
02-23-2012, 01:17 PM
One more note on that, earlier in the week it was stated here and on other sites that the game was a near sell out. I went as far as going to the ticketmaster site and clicked section by section, counting up the available seats. There were 190 left. Come game time, there were far fewer fans there than there were for the Cincy game. I get it, Wednesday & Rutgers.... but the students should be there regardless. Now what about Ticketmaster?

I asked a member of the Marquette administration. Here is the response.... "That can't be right. I know there are some games where there are lots held back, like when we do our reading programs with MPS, and those tickets will be taken out of the mix. Some may not be used, but that seems like a far greater number." The official checked, and the number was low. It was suggested that my numbers were wrong.

Ticketmaster better get their crap together, as there may be people passing on games because of the availability.

Hamostradamus
02-23-2012, 01:25 PM
I expected a lot more fans as well. I remember the BC selling out when we played Bucky, several games got dubbed "most fans ever to watch a basketball game in state history." This was all when the economy was better and tuition was lower relative to inflation. I suspect that may impact fan attendance across the country more than anything.

IWB
02-23-2012, 01:51 PM
Fan attendance across the country has fallen on hard times, and I do understand that, but when Hamos refers to the "largest crowds ever", I don't think those were games when MU was ranked #10 in the country either.

I know it was discussed in another thread, but it is too bad that people do not realize how good DJO & Jae Crowder are, and they only have one home game left in their college careers!

TedBaxter
02-23-2012, 01:55 PM
Economics are having a huge impact right now for many. I had a partial season ticket plan with 2 others as late as 3 or 4 years ago and I may have gone to one or two home games last year. This year, I won't be going to any Marquette games for the first time in about 25 years and even worse, I haven't attended a single basketball game of any type and that's probably the first time that has happened in 47 years.

Gato78
02-23-2012, 02:24 PM
I think every game being on TV in one fashion or another is having an impact too.

MUAlphaBangura
02-23-2012, 03:38 PM
TV is a factor for the general public. Don't think it should be for the students. I know we all are warped sports fans but I still think the students should be there for the players. You could say the season ticket holders support the team better than the students do over the course of a season. Maybe MU admin. needs to re-evaluate how many student tickets are set aside. We need the student ticket to have value. I don't think it does at this point.

MayorBeluga
02-23-2012, 04:00 PM
Hizzoner agrees with MUAB (and how often does THAT happen? Yikes). MU makes too many tickets available for students. It's great for those 2-3 games a sesson when they fill the place, but otherwise it looks pretty sad which is also an indictment of the Bradley Center.

Another old man complaint: what's with all the people leaving at the under 4 timeout? You pay for the tickets, why leave early? It happens every game and so you can't say it is based on having a big lead over a poor team. It will probably happen again next Saturday, as Senior Day has become a sad spectacle with only a few thousand left for the ceremonies (has Jamil Lott finished his speech yet?).

All this complaining reminds me of when I wore an onion on my belt, as was the style at the time...

Hamostradamus
02-23-2012, 04:39 PM
On a related note, best Bighead ever...89

Gato78
02-23-2012, 05:14 PM
Another old guy rant I have is the doufus' (doufi, pl?) who are walking in front of me well after halftime is over. I am not talking about the people coming back shortly after the 2nd half starts (they piss me off too) but the nimrods who come back to their seats after the under 16 timeout. LAst night, I missed 4 or 5 plays because some a-hole was asking the row in front of me to stand so he can get to his seat or the guy opposite me who has to let someone get in his or her seat. Students who no-showed last night and the more that halftime+4 nimrods really piss me off. Do I sound like IWB?

Hamostradamus
02-23-2012, 05:41 PM
Tell the usher not to let anyone do that until a dead ball.

Gato78
02-23-2012, 06:00 PM
You think this is the Rep?

IWB
02-23-2012, 06:47 PM
Man do those people piss me off. MU has done a great job this year of ending the first half on a high note. People going crazy, the run to the locker room all jacked up and then they return to an empty arena.

Standing up to let the late comers in blows, but not as bad as having your leg treated like an amusement park because you sit on the aisle and people who bring their toddlers think the aisle is the Bradley Center daycare area.

mufansince72
02-23-2012, 09:21 PM
Another old guy rant I have is the doufus' (doufi, pl?) who are walking in front of me well after halftime is over. I am not talking about the people coming back shortly after the 2nd half starts (they piss me off too) but the nimrods who come back to their seats after the under 16 timeout. LAst night, I missed 4 or 5 plays because some a-hole was asking the row in front of me to stand so he can get to his seat or the guy opposite me who has to let someone get in his or her seat. Students who no-showed last night and the more that halftime+4 nimrods really piss me off. Do I sound like IWB?

Well, I am one of those guys who will make you get up several times during the course of a game, because I need to get out and get another beer.

IWB
02-23-2012, 09:24 PM
Nothing wrong with getting up to go get a beer. It is the people that do it during a critical possession, the ones who come back from halftime and the crowd goes wild and you don't know what happened because someone was coming or going. Just wait until the ball goes out of bounds, the clock stops or a PG is walking it up court. It is those completely oblivious that drive me nuts.

mufansince72
02-23-2012, 09:25 PM
I would be shocked if there was over 10,000 people there last night. Really lame in my opinion. Other than season ticket holders in the middle sections of the 400 level, there was no one in the upper deck. I also don't believe it is ticketmaster with the issue. I believe MU does not release the tickets and communicate with ticketmaster that they are available.

IWB
02-24-2012, 05:43 AM
I addressed this specifically with a member of MU's administration, and yes they do withhold tickets, but the number withheld for that game was 1,400. Mind you, that number includes tickets for players & coaches' families, recruits, former players, special guests etc etc.

MUMac
02-24-2012, 08:03 AM
I was at the Kohl Center for a Hockey Game recently and noticed the usher at the top of the aisle stopped people from walking down until there was a stoppage of play. Never had seen that before.

mufansince72
02-24-2012, 08:57 AM
I addressed this specifically with a member of MU's administration, and yes they do withhold tickets, but the number withheld for that game was 1,400. Mind you, that number includes tickets for players & coaches' families, recruits, former players, special guests etc etc.

Well, the Rutgers game wasn't the first one where I went on to Ticketmaster site looking for tickets, and you couldn't even buy one in the upper level. I then go to the game with other tickets and it was clear that no tickets were sold in the corners or end of the Bradley Center. Wouldn't it be MU's responsiblilty to make sure those tickets are available for sale?

Not saying anyone would actually buy one, because for games like Rutgers you could buy tickets on the secondary market for much less than the upper level would cost through ticketmaster.

I think for non marquee games MU should sell those nosebleed seats for 5 bucks and get people in the door. Sell them to aau teams, youth basketball programs, etc. They could also donate them to school groups or others.

IWB
02-24-2012, 08:57 AM
Kudos to the Kohl Center staff.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
02-24-2012, 12:54 PM
I was at the Kohl Center for a Hockey Game recently and noticed the usher at the top of the aisle stopped people from walking down until there was a stoppage of play. Never had seen that before.

I think they do this because they don't want people getting hit with puck's that might fly off the ice. They also do this at the Bradley Center for Admiral games. I have been to the hole for many Badger basketball games and they don't do this.

Also, on the note of poor fans, at the Cincinnati game I actually got asked by the folks behind me to sit down during one of MU's runs in the first half. I actually could not believe that the guy asked me because almost everyone else in the arena was standing, I could have understood this more if it was an elderly person or someone unable to stand, but this was a young guy who was sipping a beer and complained to me that when I stood and cheered he wasn't able to see the game... unreal.

Goose85
02-24-2012, 01:04 PM
I do this and have tried to teach my kids the same - baseball / basketball, doesn't matter. When you come back late, wait until there is a break in the action or wait for an at bat to finish, etc. Drives me nuts.