PDA

View Full Version : Big East - ESPN Window Closed

Goose85
11-06-2012, 03:28 PM
After an extension due to Sandy, the Big East's exclusive window with ESPN has expired and the Big East is now free to negotiate with any network.

Should be very interesting to see what network wants / gets what part of Big East programing.

http://voices.idahostatesman.com/2012/11/06/bmurphy/big_east_now_free_negotiate_with_all_tv_partners_l ive_chat_wedne

MU/Panther
11-06-2012, 05:59 PM
NBC Sports Network wants in. ESPN wants to keep the BE tourney.

Goose85
11-07-2012, 08:28 AM
I would also think that the Big East can now start formulating numbers for a proposed "Fed Ex" bowl game in Houston and see if they can get NBC to bite on that in addition to the Big East football package.

IWB
11-07-2012, 08:32 AM
I would also think that the Big East can now start formulating numbers for a proposed "Fed Ex" bowl game in Houston and see if they can get NBC to bite on that in addition to the Big East football package.

Houston? With SMU, they could probably get Jerry to lend them the 8th wonder of the world that is Cowboy Stadium. Oh wait, wasn't King Kong the 8th? Maybe the 9th wonder of the world.

MKE_GoldenEagleFan
11-07-2012, 08:37 AM
The question is who would they get to partner with them for that? The B10 and P10 champs are spoken for, the SEC and B12 champs are spoken for... Would we really want to pair up with the ACC?!

Goose85
11-07-2012, 08:37 AM
Houston? With SMU, they could probably get Jerry to lend them the 8th wonder of the world that is Cowboy Stadium. Oh wait, wasn't King Kong the 8th? Maybe the 9th wonder of the world.

Don't think you want to try to host a bowl in Jerry World unless it is a big dog bowl. Never sell the place out.

Goose85
11-07-2012, 10:57 AM
I really don't get the money ESPN is throwing at bowl the Champions Bowl and the Rose Bowl.

$160 million for two games, neither of which are the national championship.
Let's say a game is 3 and a half hours. ESPN is paying $380,000 per minute. Not sure how much ad time they can sell, but really, $380,000 per minute for the entirity of a college football game?

Let's assume Alabama plays Oregon in the national title game.

Is the matchup of the Wisconsin / Nebraska winner v. USC, UCLA, or Oregon State worth $80 million dollars or $380,000 per minute?

What about Kansas State v. SEC (either Fla, Georgia, Texas A&M or LSU), is that game worth $80 million dollars or $380,000 per minute?

Non sports fans and people around the globe watch the Super Bowl, but how many people are going to watch these games to make them worth $80 million?

ESPN has spent crazy money on college football, which is why I think Big East football will be with NBC.

TheSultan
11-08-2012, 09:36 PM
ESPN has bet big on college football...and it has won pretty much every time. The Rose Bowl last year was the highest rated, non-NFL cable broadcast.